Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,027 Members 48,262 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Netflix HD [DISCONTINUED]

Tip us?

Keychar
Old
(Last edited by Keychar; 2nd February 2014 at 08:00 PM.) Reason: Version 3
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Video Netflix HD [DISCONTINUED]

Because of lack of time this has been discontinued. I will leave these apk's here for anyone interested to study, hoping that someone will pick up where I left off.

Long time, no see. I just made a hack that I feel I should share with you all.

Attached is a hacked version of the Netflix app, I've modified it to try to raise the bitrate. On my galaxy nexus it brings the bitrate up from 750 kbit/s to 1750 kbit/s (3000 kbit/s in Netflix 2.4.1). I've also modified the seeker behaviour to be better matched for Android TV systems by changing the sticky seeker to 10 seconds instead of a value based on the movie length, which could make the seeker snap minutes away from where you wanted to be.

Notice that this app isn't signed with the Netflix private key, but the default key that came with apksign, so you will have to remove that app before using this one.

Enjoy!

Netflix 3 is out, but I still recommend Netflix 2.4.1. You can read why and download Netflix 3 here.

Netflix 2.4.1 (build 950)
Here are some exciting news. Super HD support for Nexus 7. I've modified the files to unlock that to all 4.3 phones, but there's a performance issue on my phone so I cant test it. Therefore I will upload three files this time. One that should be capable of Super HD and two more limited.

16x maximum bitrate
This should be capable of Super HD, if your phone can handle it and uses Android 4.3.

Maximum 3850 kbps
I haven't been able to test this much, it's more than Galaxy Nexus can handle.

Maximum 3000kbps
This is what the Galaxy Nexus can handle. For image comparison, please visit the link in the second post.

Netflix 2.4.0 (build 939)

Older versions

edit: I've added a few changes, because on my Netflix device it takes a couple of seconds before the image quality goes beyond 56K modem quality. I therefore set the previous maximum bitrate as the new minimum bitrate. I have only tested this on a single device and it may buffer forever or lag. Please let me know how well it works if you use it.
An Android hacker with way too little time on my hands. A simple thank you is a bigger motivation for me than I care to admit.
The Following 41 Users Say Thank You to Keychar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Keychar
Old
(Last edited by Keychar; 16th August 2013 at 11:15 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Colder interest than I expected. Here's some screenshots :P
Comparison
This is actually the movie that made me do this hack, because this very scene felt so extremely sluggish. I find the extra bitrate does more justice to the stars
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keychar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jimpaz
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Nice

mrsatan
Old
Thanks Meter 426
Add rotation and make it black and we have a deal.
"Remember to give thanks, where thanks is due."
X-S/Nexus 7

Bootanimations
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post29420348

Short Stories:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1777196

Butter-Cream Screen response:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2040927

I am writing a novel, support me when it comes out!

Keychar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsatan View Post
Add rotation and make it black and we have a deal.

I hope that's what you meant
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Keychar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrsatan
Old
Thanks Meter 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keychar View Post

I hope that's what you meant
Exactly what I wanted. Thanks

Sent from hell using Xperia-S(atan)
"Remember to give thanks, where thanks is due."
X-S/Nexus 7

Bootanimations
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post29420348

Short Stories:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1777196

Butter-Cream Screen response:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2040927

I am writing a novel, support me when it comes out!

Keychar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsatan View Post
Exactly what I wanted. Thanks

Sent from hell using Xperia-S(atan)
I've added an upgrade that you might like. It increases the minimum bitrate to what was previously the maximum bitrate, to avoid too low bitrates. It has the rotation fix you asked for too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keychar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

neosree
Old
Thanks Meter 0
please modify the latest netflix (2.4.0) and post it here for us.. I really really liked your modification, its superb.. keep it up

neosree
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosree View Post
please modify the latest netflix (2.4.0) and post it here for us.. I really really liked your modification, its superb.. keep it up
Also it would be great if you can set the minimum bitrate to 1750 and max bitrate to 6000 or something..

Keychar
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosree View Post
Also it would be great if you can set the minimum bitrate to 1750 and max bitrate to 6000 or something..
Actually, that forced a bug where the video wouldn't load, but I added the last netflix app (2.4.0 build 939) anyways. It has the previous hack where the minimum bitrate is set to the previous maximum bitrate and maximum bitrate is 16 times the previous maximum bitrate.

Enjoy!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keychar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]