Kindle Fire MTP driver for Windows (quick hack)

Search This thread

proski

May 29, 2013
Hello! I installed CyanogenMod 10.1-RC4 on Amazon Kindle Fire (1st gen) successfully, but my Windows 7 computer won't recognize it after that. It turn out the tablet functions as an MTP device now. Linux has no trouble with it. Moreover, I tried a Windows XP system, and it opened the Kindle out-of-box.

The OS in question is Windows 7 Starter that came with Asus EeePC 1005PE. It has no Windows Media Player at all. WMP cannot be installed through Windows Update or through a separate download. However, that OS worked out-of-box with other MTP devices, such as Garmin Nuvi 2555 and a Nikon camera.

I looked for inf files referring to MTP and found a file WPDMTPHW.INF (Installation inf for devices supporting Media Transfer Protocol and using device's hardware ID). I made a file based on it with the Kindle ID, and voila, Windows recognized it. View attachment cm-otter.zip

I didn't change Microsoft copyright or anything other than the ID's. I guess it should be done. There is a warning that the driver wasn't signed with Authenticode. It should be safe to ignore. ADB doesn't work with that driver. I don't know is ADB and MTP can be supported at the same time.

The problem with MTP prevents me from recommending CyanogenMod on Amazon Kindle Fire to my less technical friends. Would it be possible for CyanogenMod developers to use USB IDs that would make any modern Windows recognize it out-of-box?

At very least, would it be possible to publish a properly signed driver for Amazon Kindle Fire in MTP mode? I wish I could do it myself, but I don't know much about inf files, so my file is just a quick hack.

Reactions: schooluser

schooluser

Mar 14, 2014
Thank you

Hello! I installed CyanogenMod 10.1-RC4 on Amazon Kindle Fire (1st gen) successfully, but my Windows 7 computer won't recognize it after that. It turn out the tablet functions as an MTP device now. Linux has no trouble with it. Moreover, I tried a Windows XP system, and it opened the Kindle out-of-box.

The OS in question is Windows 7 Starter that came with Asus EeePC 1005PE. It has no Windows Media Player at all. WMP cannot be installed through Windows Update or through a separate download. However, that OS worked out-of-box with other MTP devices, such as Garmin Nuvi 2555 and a Nikon camera.

I looked for inf files referring to MTP and found a file WPDMTPHW.INF (Installation inf for devices supporting Media Transfer Protocol and using device's hardware ID). I made a file based on it with the Kindle ID, and voila, Windows recognized it. View attachment 2014264

I didn't change Microsoft copyright or anything other than the ID's. I guess it should be done. There is a warning that the driver wasn't signed with Authenticode. It should be safe to ignore. ADB doesn't work with that driver. I don't know is ADB and MTP can be supported at the same time.

The problem with MTP prevents me from recommending CyanogenMod on Amazon Kindle Fire to my less technical friends. Would it be possible for CyanogenMod developers to use USB IDs that would make any modern Windows recognize it out-of-box?

At very least, would it be possible to publish a properly signed driver for Amazon Kindle Fire in MTP mode? I wish I could do it myself, but I don't know much about inf files, so my file is just a quick hack.

Thank you, due to your mentioning the inf file name, I was able to perform a search on my XP (which was refusing to install the MTP drivers even though I installed WMP11 AND the MTP Transfer Toolkit from Microsoft. It already had several models of phone included, and I just added the hardware ID for my Kindle Fire HDX and then manually pointed the driver install wizard to it, then viola! it worked.

No fuss no muss and you've given me what I need to use this like I needed!

INF Contents now:
Code:
; Installation inf for devices supporting Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) and using device's hardware ID
;
; Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation.
;
[Version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
Class=WPD
ClassGUID={EEC5AD98-8080-425f-922A-DABF3DE3F69A}
Provider=%Msft%
LayoutFile=layout.inf
DriverVer=02/22/2006,5.2.5326.4762

[Manufacturer]
%MfgNameVendorModels%=VendorModels,NTx86,NTamd64

[VendorModels.NTx86]
;Nokia N91
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_0421&PID_0485
;Creative PMC
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_041E&PID_4123
;Samsung PMC
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_04E8&PID_5A0F
;Intel Bandon PMC
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_045E&PID_00C9
;iRiver PMC
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_1006&PID_4002
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_1006&PID_4003
;Amazon Kindle 1st generation
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_1949&PID_0005
;Amazon Kindle HDX 8.9
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_1949&PID_000d

[VendorModels.NTamd64]
;Nokia N91
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_0421&PID_0485
;Creative PMC
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_041E&PID_4123
;Samsung PMC
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_04E8&PID_5A0F
;Intel Bandon PMC
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_045E&PID_00C9
;iRiver PMC
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_1006&PID_4002
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_1006&PID_4003
;Amazon Kindle 1st generation
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_1949&PID_0005
;Amazon Kindle HDX 8.9
%GenericMTP.DeviceDesc%=MTP, USB\VID_1949&PID_000d

[MTP]
Include = wpdmtp.inf
Needs   = WPD.MTP

[MTP.hw]
Include = wpdmtp.inf
Needs   = WPD.MTP.Registration

[MTP.Services]
Include = wpdmtp.inf
Needs   = WPD.MTP.Services

[MTP.CoInstallers]
Include = wpdmtp.inf
Needs = WPD.MTP.CoInstallers

[MTP.Wdf]
Include = wpdmtp.inf
Needs = WPD.MTP.Wdf
UmdfServiceOrder=WpdMtpDriver

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I looked for inf files referring to MTP and found a file WPDMTPHW.INF (Installation inf for devices supporting Media Transfer Protocol and using device's hardware ID). I made a file based on it with the Kindle ID, and voila, Windows recognized it. View attachment cm-otter.zip