FORUMS

How Strong Is Your Connection? – XDA Xposed Tuesday

Everyone is always talking about their bars. How many bars of WiFi do they … more

OnePlus 2 Announced: Specs, Price and Details

The OnePlus 2 has just had its Virtual Reality Launch event, and at the XDA Office we all … more

A Helpful Guide to Music Streaming Services

With the launch of Apple Music, music streaming services have recently gained a lot of … more

An Inside Look at the Redesign of Business Calendar

The much-acclaimed calendar app, Business Calendar, underwent a major design … more

Fire Hd 8.9 can't enable ADB

266 posts
Thanks Meter: 21
 
By Haloman800, Senior Member on 4th June 2013, 12:11 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I bought a kindle fire from craigslist that turned out to be a demo unit.. I've unsuccessfully tried for the past hour to enable ADB, all the guides require enabling debugging, but I can't access settings since it's in demo mode.

Is there any other way to enable ADB or get into fastboot? I'm going crazy..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
 
 
4th June 2013, 01:08 AM |#2  
Thepooch's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,078
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman800

I bought a kindle fire from craigslist that turned out to be a demo unit.. I've unsuccessfully tried for the past hour to enable ADB, all the guides require enabling debugging, but I can't access settings since it's in demo mode.

Is there any other way to enable ADB or get into fastboot? I'm going crazy..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

You won't be able to enable adb use fastboot and this tool to replace the demo system http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2011126 .

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

With the Kindle powered down, type the following command into a cmd/terminal window on your PC (should return with: < waiting for device> ):
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

Then connect USB to the Kindle and reboot. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen and your terminal window should show something like:
product: Jem-PVT-Prod-04 this has to be done in a command window opened where fastboot is located. Shift + right click in the folder where fastboot is located select open command window here, then run the command and follow above instructions to get it into fastboot.
4th June 2013, 04:35 AM |#3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepooch

You won't be able to enable adb use fastboot and this tool to replace the demo system http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2011126 .

---------- Post added at 05:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 PM ----------

With the Kindle powered down, type the following command into a cmd/terminal window on your PC (should return with: < waiting for device> ):
fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product

Then connect USB to the Kindle and reboot. It *SHOULD* show a Fastboot screen and your terminal window should show something like:
product: Jem-PVT-Prod-04 this has to be done in a command window opened where fastboot is located. Shift + right click in the folder where fastboot is located select open command window here, then run the command and follow above instructions to get it into fastboot.

I did everything you said, I got "Waiting for device" in cmd and all but when I plugged in my KF (while it was turned off) and tapped power it booted straight into Demo again, what should I do?

edit: Is there a certain driver I need to install? I got the one here http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1890413 and it installed, but when I plug in my kindle it shows up under Devices & Printers as a Portable Media Player (model Kindle), and under Kindle it says "Connected as Media Device", is this normal?
Last edited by Haloman800; 4th June 2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: drivers
4th June 2013, 09:24 AM |#4  
Thepooch's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,078
 
More
Unread your private messages.
4th June 2013, 09:30 AM |#5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
More
I got it to work by following your steps, I also had to manually install the driver with the guide here: http://www.jayceooi.com/2011/12/29/h...-driver-video/

Gonna type out the process in case anyone comes here from a search engine later:

I installed the driver, followed your steps for opening CMD/running command "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product", then I held down the power button until the device shut off (around 20 secs), plugged in cable, tapped power button, and it showed the device (Jem-PVT-Prod-04) was recognized, but disconnected. I did the same thing again (20 sec power off, turn back on) and I was able to enter fastboot. From there I followed the link you posted (system.img recover tool) wiped all data then chose option 3 (which rooted the device and installed a launcher)..

All is well so far! Thanks again!!
4th June 2013, 10:09 PM |#6  
Thepooch's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,078
 
More
Way to make a demo a real tablet .
28th December 2013, 01:42 PM |#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Hey guys,

Sorry to necro an old thread here but I cant seem to get this to work

I bought a demo tablet too and I have followed this guide installed the linked driver and as soon as I try step one nothing

I run Fastboot in CMD use the command fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product CMD tells me waiting for device and with the kindle turned on I connect the USB lead and nothing it just sits so Im at a loss and have been trying to make this work for months im pulling my hair out with it

If anyone can help I would be extremely grateful..
28th December 2013, 07:33 PM |#8  
stunts513's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 621
 
Donate to Me
More
When the fastboot driver isn't installed the command won't work' and its a pain to install it in the timeframe it gives you, best suggestions are this:
1. try kindle fire first aid's driver installer
2. Do this from and Ubuntu 13.10 live CD/USB after installing fastboot from Ubuntu software center.
Personally I use Ubuntu Linux and I would say its much more preferable because there's no mess with drivers on the kindle, it automatically loads the module required so all you have to do is run the command from a terminal.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app
28th December 2013, 08:25 PM |#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

When the fastboot driver isn't installed the command won't work' and its a pain to install it in the timeframe it gives you, best suggestions are this:
1. try kindle fire first aid's driver installer
2. Do this from and Ubuntu 13.10 live CD/USB after installing fastboot from Ubuntu software center.
Personally I use Ubuntu Linux and I would say its much more preferable because there's no mess with drivers on the kindle, it automatically loads the module required so all you have to do is run the command from a terminal.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Hi stunts and thankyou for the reply!

I have downloaded the kindle fire HD First aid program from this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2096888
the first aid program is linked as https://xerocomm.app.box.com/kffa-100 within the above thread

It was posted by user prokennexusa is this the first aid program you talk about?
If so there is a folder within the rar file designated Drivers im assuming that these are the drivers you speak of but there is no installer
I can manualy install them ofcourse but do I have to remove the drivers I downloaded and installed previously
(The drivers Haloman800 mentions in this thread)


Ive tried to manualy install different drivers over the top of ABD drivers before and windows always says the drivers I have are up to date and doesent change them
28th December 2013, 09:20 PM |#10  
stunts513's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 621
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikenoodles

Hi stunts and thankyou for the reply!

I have downloaded the kindle fire HD First aid program from this thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2096888
the first aid program is linked as https://xerocomm.app.box.com/kffa-100 within the above thread

It was posted by user prokennexusa is this the first aid program you talk about?
If so there is a folder within the rar file designated Drivers im assuming that these are the drivers you speak of but there is no installer
I can manualy install them ofcourse but do I have to remove the drivers I downloaded and installed previously
(The drivers Haloman800 mentions in this thread)


Ive tried to manualy install different drivers over the top of ABD drivers before and windows always says the drivers I have are up to date and doesent change them

If you wanna take the easy way out use the linux method, i have to say this is the easiest imo. The drivers in my signature work too, i thought the kffa had a driver installer but i guess not? So either screw with windows and try to remove previous drivers or go with linux, choice is yours,
28th December 2013, 10:38 PM |#11  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

If you wanna take the easy way out use the linux method, i have to say this is the easiest imo. The drivers in my signature work too, i thought the kffa had a driver installer but i guess not? So either screw with windows and try to remove previous drivers or go with linux, choice is yours,

Ill try screwing with windows to remove them drivers first
Havent got a multiboot system setup so hopefully it will be less of a mess about than setting up linex and multiboot etc..

Ill post back with results :P

---------- Post added at 12:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

If you wanna take the easy way out use the linux method, i have to say this is the easiest imo. The drivers in my signature work too, i thought the kffa had a driver installer but i guess not? So either screw with windows and try to remove previous drivers or go with linux, choice is yours,

Oops just found the installer Within KFFA

So I ran it and it said completed successfully
I then used "fastboot -i 0x1949 getvar product" It said waiting for device so I powered on the kindle (its in demo mode) my pc detected the kindle installed it as a kindle and gave me the auto play options again but the Fastboot window remained unchanged

How will I know when I actually have the correct drivers installed will the kindle install as "kindle portable media player" or something else?

Once again I do appreciate you giving your time to help me.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes