Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,661 Members 45,290 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Asurion s3 replacement. Is it too good to be true?

Tip us?

stevenjcampbell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 175
Default [Q] Asurion s3 replacement. Is it too good to be true?

In short:

Broken s3, dropped with shattered screen, then the s3 sudden death syndrome so a device that 100% refuses to even acknowledge a charger plugged in via the wall.

Go to the website and file a claim.
Device has cosmetic damage, I give reason as "dropped phone" and moments later and told tomorrow i will get:

1. A new device
2. New battery
3. New factory charger

Called them to confirm this and a call center person (Indian sounded like) tells me:

1. The device is factory new, I ask and no it isn't refurbished.
2. It comes we whatever a factory new s3 comes with (sim card, charger, headphones)
3. It will be here tomorrow.

Edit: I can keep the old battery and back as well. So I ask "okay ill have two batteries now and two back case parts?"
Yes, he confirms...

So what? Did these guys lie their asses off to me and I can expect to get hosed tomorrow?
Or is there a chance they aren't as bad as people say now a days?
The Following User Says Thank You to stevenjcampbell For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

andrewk7750
Old
Thanks Meter 71
Well i guess we'll find out tomorrow

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda premium

jamesrascal
Old
Thanks Meter 4

DONATE TO ME
Sounds legit to me as someone who works on the selling end. Did they charge you a $100 deductible?

amebiasis
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrascal View Post
Sounds legit to me as someone who works on the selling end. Did they charge you a $100 deductible?

My wife is on her 3rd gs3 assurion gave her a new battery, back cover, sim card and charger each time with the phone. No headphones, and the only thing we sent back was the main phone itself, not the battery or cover and the replacements arrived within 24 his of claim. It was great service.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 32gb (Verizon) w/ZeroLemon 10,000mah Battery/ZeroShock Case
ROM: Stock/Rooted/XpOsEd NC4, Android 4.4.2
Kernel: Stock NC2 4.4.2 unsecured

Tablet: ASUS TF300T 32gb w/Keyboard Dock
ROM: CM11 Nightlies, Android 4.4.4
Kernel: GEASS F2FS v7.0

ShapesBlue
Old
Thanks Meter 546
I will be using asurion soon myself. Not for my phone but for my daughter's. She cracked the screen the 2nd day she had it. The worst part is I didn't pay anything for the phone but I have to pay 50 for the deductible

Sent from my ThunderBolt, soon to be S3
VZW S3 - SOKP/MOAR
SGT2 7.0 - Mokee OS 4.4.2/SOKP

stevenjcampbell
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrascal View Post

Yessiree, $99.00... No tax.

I won't expect headphones but I was pretty much expecting to get screwed with all the horror stories I had read of used phones with third party parts coming back to people.

Actually verizon forced the insurance on me.
Last year I had five phones that were faulty.
On the month after the manufacturers warranty I had a screen that wouldn't light up on an htc Incredible2.

I elevated the complaint to verizon corporate and they gave me an s3 for the new contract price but said Insurance was mandatory as part of their compromise (wasn't upgrade eligible for 11 months.

So the verizon corporate relations person told me asurion sends new devices back in august when that transaction happened and it seems he was right.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION

If your damage happens over 30 days ago, just tell asurion it happened yesterday or today.

A verizon rep told me that asurion will deny claims with old damage but you can tell them anything you want to as to when it was broken.

Mine broke in January, then sudden death two weeks ago.
This isn't fraud in my eyes. I'm sending the broken one back.

Just as others have said I was told to send a shell of the phone. Anything that can be removed without a screwdriver I keep (sim card, sd card, original battery, back cover) ...

DigitalMD
Old
Thanks Meter 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjcampbell View Post
Yessiree, $99.00... No tax.

I won't expect headphones but I was pretty much expecting to get screwed with all the horror stories I had read of used phones with third party parts coming back to people.

Actually verizon forced the insurance on me.
Last year I had five phones that were faulty.
On the month after the manufacturers warranty I had a screen that wouldn't light up on an htc Incredible2.

I elevated the complaint to verizon corporate and they gave me an s3 for the new contract price but said Insurance was mandatory as part of their compromise (wasn't upgrade eligible for 11 months.

So the verizon corporate relations person told me asurion sends new devices back in august when that transaction happened and it seems he was right.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION

If your damage happens over 30 days ago, just tell asurion it happened yesterday or today.

A verizon rep told me that asurion will deny claims with old damage but you can tell them anything you want to as to when it was broken.

Mine broke in January, then sudden death two weeks ago.
This isn't fraud in my eyes. I'm sending the broken one back.

Just as others have said I was told to send a shell of the phone. Anything that can be removed without a screwdriver I keep (sim card, sd card, original battery, back cover) ...
Of course you are really are paying for it with the deductible and the monthly fee. and no matter what assurion assures you of , you are getting refurb stuff, THey sent me 3 "new" phones before I finally got one that lasted for more than 2 days without rebooting on its own or failing entirely
Days of open internet are almost over as the biggies look for more revenue streaming from your wallet..Soon the internet will be a shell of its current self. With the government wanting their taxes and the big ISPs planning to charge extra for access to specific content (like facebook) and throttle your speed.