Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,780,956 Members 48,200 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW-TO] The ULTIMATE All-In-One Guide - I337M & MDL - MF3 - MK2

Tip us?

rugmankc
Old
Thanks Meter 1,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpscar View Post
I want to know how someone would go about unrooting an AT&T GS4 on the MF3 build. I don't care about loss of data or anything like that. I just wanna know how someone would do it. If someone could link a good tutorial for me to follow that would be great as I cannot find one.
The OP talks about Odin. You can't use it--

If you go to jortex's thread linked in Op and to last page

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...t#post44598687

there appears to be no unroot available atm

I have not researched much on this as I am not in your situation. Would read that thread if you haven't--
ATT Samsung Galaxy S4/Rooted/TWRP 2.5.0.2/Wanam Xposed, or Gravity Box/Long Time MultiRom Flasher/Waiting For The Note 4--The Game Changer

The Following User Says Thank You to rugmankc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cj1221
Old
Thanks Meter 4
sorry for the unconveniance, but is this thread showing me how to flash my galaxy s4 rooted with a custom recovery on mf3??

xBeerdroiDx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1221 View Post
sorry for the unconveniance, but is this thread showing me how to flash my galaxy s4 rooted with a custom recovery on mf3??
Negative. Post 1 (for at&t users) is for those still on MDB or MDL. if you are an at&t i337 user on MF3 then please refer to the section in post #2. Cheers

The All-In-One Guides for the Nexus 5, Galaxy S4 - I337 and Galaxy S3 - I747
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBeerdroiDx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fukenbiker
Old
Thanks Meter 49

DONATE TO ME
Default wait DO NOT FLASH!!! read the xda fine print!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBeerdroiDx View Post
Negative. Post 1 (for at&t users) is for those still on MDB or MDL. if you are an at&t i337 user on MF3 then please refer to the section in post #2. Cheers
I see your section in post #2:

►►AT&T SGH-I337 USERS - MF3 OTA & ROOT SUPPORT◄◄
There has been a lot of questions and information flooding the forums lately concerning AT&T's latest [MF3] firmware. This small section is to address, in brief, the proper channels for each user in the 3 circumstances listed below. This section will be maintained and updated daily as new details and methods surface. Be sure to thank these guys as you visit their threads.

►I want the MF3 firmware:
If you have received notification of the MF3 update and wish to proceed while still retaining root and recovery, refer to this guide by @Aou.
►I want to block the MF3 OTA altogether:
Check out this method by @scrosler to block the OTA update and remain on stock/rooted MDB or MDL firmware.
►I have already received the OTA update / My device shipped with MF3:
In this scenario, visit @jortex's recent root guide here in order to achieve root access. Although there is now a root method for the MF3 firmware, please understand there is no custom recovery, no option to revert to older firmware and no current MF3 Odin-flashable firmware image. Proceed at your own risk.

that's IT?

An excited new owner of an SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 on AT&T wants to flash their S4 and try out some new Roms and they come here and see this. And they don't read real careful, and having had some past experience, gets root and then tries installing a custom recovery with Goo manager or what ever. Next thing you know, they're making a new "help me" thread in the Q & A help and troubleshooting section.

Where is the big bold text about how important it is to make sure to check your baseband version or something? The title of the OP is drawing them in like a pied piper and only a small font description of what's the matter.

Just trying to help with my recent point of view as a noob.
The Following User Says Thank You to fukenbiker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xBeerdroiDx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,404
Thanks for your insight, @fukenbiker. Your points are valid but your approach sucks. Private messaging would have been a more constructive route. When I get home tonight from my 12 hour shift, I'll get started on some thread adjustments in order to eliminate as many future bricks as possible.

-The Pied Motherf*#ing Piper

The Following User Says Thank You to xBeerdroiDx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fukenbiker
Old
(Last edited by fukenbiker; 20th August 2013 at 01:12 AM.) Reason: clarify
Thanks Meter 49

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for your insight, @fukenbiker. Your points are valid but your approach sucks. Private messaging would have been a more constructive route. When I get home tonight from my 12 hour shift, I'll get started on some thread adjustments in order to eliminate as many future bricks as possible.

-The Pied Motherf*#ing Piper
I have yet to try a "private" message. Why bother? The NSA records every click with PRISM and what not. Beg pardon if I embarrassed your Motherf*#ing highness. Review TheSmokingAndroid counterpart to your earth shaking revelations in the General Section about getting root. I saw his warning was a bit better, but felt it lacking so I laid it out biker style in a new post in his rooting thread.

xBeerdroiDx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by fukenbiker View Post
Beg pardon if I embarrassed your Motherf*#ing highness.
i do this for free in whatever spare time i get. i have nothing to be embarrassed about. trust me.

Quote:
I saw his warning was a bit better
i dont care about his warning

Quote:
so I laid it out biker style
hahaha!

i know you mean well, you just come across wrong and rude. create your own material if what you find is lacking. those of us that have taken the time to put these guides together have done so with the best intentions. if you dont like our work and cant be respectful about making it better, go f**k yourself...biker style. cheers

fukenbiker
Old
(Last edited by fukenbiker; 21st August 2013 at 12:53 AM.) Reason: beer button, biker style
Thanks Meter 49

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
i do this for free in whatever spare time i get. i have nothing to be embarrassed about. trust me.

i dont care about his warning

hahaha!

i know you mean well, you just come across wrong and rude. create your own material http://lango.us if what you find is lacking. those of us that have taken the time to put these guides together have done so with the best intentions. if you dont like our work and cant be respectful about making it better, go f**k yourself...biker style. cheers
I don't have time. I'm confronting paid media trolls in comment sections following news articles that define me aa a conspiracy theorist, gun rights wing nut, 9/11 truther, and a "birther". Important stuff, exposing tyranny, and explaining the fix. You're no hero here, like Snowden. You're nothing more than myself, just another honest citizen trying to help.

When I saw the multiple "help me! I can't get into recovery! I can only get to "download mode" posts in the Q & A Help and Troubleshooting section, I thought I better speak up and rant about fixing what's the matter, to save some frustration and grief.

I mean picture it... you've loved "serendipity" on your infuse for this long, waiting for your chance to cash in that two year eligible for upgrade, and clueless about the different basebands start flashing recoveries because YOU helped them figure out how to ROOT!

Your warning signs are upside down, is all I'm saying.
love ya bye
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fukenbiker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

xBeerdroiDx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1,404
--UPDATED OP--

added more reading material in step 1. thanks @ronnie498 for putting together this FAQ. a great addition to the community.

new users: read up.

cheers

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBeerdroiDx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fukenbiker
Old
Thanks Meter 49

DONATE TO ME
Default The title

Quote:
--UPDATED OP--

added more reading material in step 1. thanks @ronnie498 for putting together this FAQ. a great addition to the community.

new users: read up.

cheers
It's the title xBeerdroiDx. Take a look at it again, it still says there is a "step two". It's encouraging them to do what? Read step two! so they can flash a custom recovery is the motive for a reader. It's what they're looking for, a way to flash. And their eyes catch this snazzy title:

►►AT&T SGH-I337 USERS: DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE IF YOU ARE ON THE MF3 FIRMWARE.◄◄
Please refer to Post #2 for more information and further details.

And I already posted what I thought of step two, ya pied mf3 nm
How ya doin' there?
Ya I'm still trying to help.

Clumsiness is something I loathe and I got to laugh hard at myself yesterday (better than beating myself up).
I gotta peel this darn thing apart. I dropped it in the toilet and otter box didn't have the charge port door closed. And that's the part that just now quit working. No other symptom that I can see.

It actually charges while plugged in and powered off, but it vibrates in a cycle, displaying the big empty battery icon w/ no color just b&w, goes dark, then after a second it buzzes again, goes dark, displays a battery icon in a cycle and actually takes a charge. It also charges if I boot into recovery. But when I plug it into the computer, it's same as from wall charger, no response. I need to peel it apart and scrub the charging port free of any white powder deposits with a toothbrush under tap water, then stick it in a bag of rice overnight.

How was your day, fine I hope. Thanks for that op edit but as you read I see improvements can still be made. I trust you understand the pied piper story. I enjoyed your response. I tried a private message and picked you as my first recipient but I don't think it worked because it shows 0 sent. Clicked it twice, same result, I'm done. So here I am in public. I didn't want to be drunk in public, I wanted to be drunk in a bar. They threw me into public, arrest them." Ron White. One of my favorites right up there with fluffy and jef-fa-fa dun-ham dot com" peanut.

cheers!

PS the title would be great if you just eliminated the part about the second post.

►►AT&T SGH-I337 USERS: DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE IF YOU ARE ON THE MF3 FIRMWARE.◄◄

That would discourage anyone from trying to flash recovery that has the ever more common SGH-I337 with Baseband version ending in MF3. More and more of the new owners of these are going to come here looking to flash CWM or TWRP so they can get CyanogenMod, and they can't get there anywhere else, and if they take the road to achieve it they'll have a brick. My run over soggy beat up unit still has MDL, and I represent the dinosaurs. We are fast disappearing. More and more only thing you'll see is MF3 owners. And MF3 owners have ROOT available yes, but if you go further you BRICK.

Just trying to help.
That is all.
Lango out.

The Following User Says Thank You to fukenbiker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
backup, bootloader, efs, flash, root