5,604,859 Members 33,745 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Does your One have red/blue/purple noise in low light photos?
Yes 1,232 88.00%
No 168 12.00%
Voters: 1400. You may not vote on this poll

Camera problem: red/blue/purple noise in low light photos

Tip us?
 
VictorCozmei
Old
(Last edited by VictorCozmei; 13th November 2013 at 12:00 AM.) Reason: UPDATE with replacement results
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 109
Posts: 93
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bucharest, Romania, EU
Camera Camera problem: red/blue/purple noise in low light photos

Hello everybody!

I am now a proud owner of an HTC One and I absolutely love it.

Its an SH35BW903846 and, build quality wise, its almost perfect - 99% perfect. No gaps, no dents, not dead pixels, no light bleed and not even the pop/crackle. It's running the 1.29.401.16 software.

The only problem I have (I don't know yet if it is a problem), is with the camera in night time and very low light scenes.

My problem is that in night shots and very low light scenes, the camera turns the black into blue (or red in very very dark scenes). For example, I included some photos, on a dark street with only a few light posts it turns black areas into blurry blue. Yes, it lets in more light (and more natural looking light) than my old One X, but the black areas are blue.

Not to mention, some times it has trouble focusing so a few of the shots I attached were taken after 2-3 tries.

Even more, in very very dark scenarios - see the last picture - it turns the blackness into red.

Now, my questions:
  • Is this normal?
  • Has anyone else had this problem (is it a problem)?
  • Can someone post a night time picture taken with their one in similar scenario and without the "blue"?

I am a bit worried because if it is a flaw than i would have to return my almost perfect One...

If the information below or this thread have helped you in any way, hit the thanks button

UPDATED 13th of November: I took my phone into service again. This time they didn't replace my whole phone, but they did replace the camera module. They put in a camera from SHARP, sensor date 14 october 2013. The first tests I've done indicate that they've finally found a way/a sensor/a manufacturer to make the damned camera perform in low light like it supposed to... See a photo comparison of the new camera here.

UPDATED 14th of October: A comparison test after getting the 4.3 and Sense 5.5 Update: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=3099

UPDATED (2nd of October) - If you have the same problem, please fill in this Google form made by @gogogaga7 so we can have a centralized data base with information about the units that are flawed. The form is here: http://goo.gl/HmRJqC

UPDATED (5th of July) - I just got a replacement for my faulty unit and I just posted comparison photos in this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...4&postcount=89

Advice: If your camera gives you similar results with blue/red/purple noise in low-light photos -> take it back to HTC or an operator or repair service for a replacement!

UPDATED with Poll (13th of August) - Seeing how many replies and page views this thread has gathered during these couple of months, how many of you said they experience this problem and how HTC has not publicly recognized it (either as software or hardware fault), I added a Poll to see indeed how many of us are having this problem. Please vote!








The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to VictorCozmei For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Riyal
Old
(Last edited by Riyal; 10th June 2013 at 11:43 AM.)
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1287
Posts: 2,712
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Iloilo City

 
DONATE TO ME
@VictorCozmei

Heya buddy! Yes this is the same as mine! I have been trying to create a discussion of this eversince and also found some users here with the same or worst than ours issue.

Apparently reducing the ISO solves the issue.

Anyways do you have access to other HTC One devices? Like demo on stores or relatives owning one? You could try by covering the camera lense with your hand. If it turns bright red then we must assume it's a normal behaviour of the camera. I can't really tell but I think this is happening because of the very aggressive sensitivity of light on our phones. I compared it with my previous phone and an ISO 100 on HTC One is equally similar to the ISO 400 of my previous phone.

Anyways if we can gather much feedback from users maybe we would know if this is a defect indeed(software/hardware) or just normal.

Also this should not be Chromatic aberration or at least similar to thos of the iphone 5 purple haze as it's like the opposite. CA and iphone purple haze is due to high contrast whilst ours is happening on low contrast areas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
VictorCozmei
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 109
Posts: 93
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bucharest, Romania, EU
^^^ @Riyal

Thanks for the reply. I thought for surely my post would go unnoticed and I'll be left alone with this potential problem even if there are loads of HTC One owners on the forum who can give a helping hand but just don't bother...

I don't have immediate access to another HTC One, but I will be following your advice and I will surely test them that way... Again, I sure hope this isn't a flaw in my phone. I would hate to take it back because it is so perfect in every other way

Just hope somebody else could join in the discussion and share their experience...
 
Xerro-Five
Old
#4  
Xerro-Five's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 214
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Vancouver
I notice a couple of interesting things when trying stuff out after reading your post:

If it's very dark (probably darker than what it was when you took the example pictures) the screen could be blue, red, or purple (a mix of blue and red noise upon closer inspection) depending on how much light I allowed back in.

If it's completely dark (put it down on a table), the screen is always red. This is actually pretty common among many sensors though.

Taking pictures with it at night in my living room with the tv on, the pictures are usually orange.

So it seems to me to be a property of the camera even when the camera is otherwise fine as I have noticed no other issues with mine. Thinking back to my old iPhone, I remember the pictures being blue just like your examples when it was dark. Maybe further evidence of it being normal?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
 
Riyal
Old
#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1287
Posts: 2,712
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Iloilo City

 
DONATE TO ME
@Xerro-Five

Do you also experience the same issue as ours? I believe it's a miscalibration. Or probably an issue with image sense chipset of HTC. Did any of you guys already tried directly ask HTC about this issue?

Anyways could I ask you guys the build number of your phones?


@VictorCozmei
Considering that this phone should boast low light capabilities I think this is not a normal behavior. What we should do is ask directly HTC if this is solved through software or hardware. As far as I know not all people here experience this issue else we could seen alot more posts about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerro-Five View Post
I notice a couple of interesting things when trying stuff out after reading your post:

If it's very dark (probably darker than what it was when you took the example pictures) the screen could be blue, red, or purple (a mix of blue and red noise upon closer inspection) depending on how much light I allowed back in.

If it's completely dark (put it down on a table), the screen is always red. This is actually pretty common among many sensors though.

Taking pictures with it at night in my living room with the tv on, the pictures are usually orange.

So it seems to me to be a property of the camera even when the camera is otherwise fine as I have noticed no other issues with mine. Thinking back to my old iPhone, I remember the pictures being blue just like your examples when it was dark. Maybe further evidence of it being normal?

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
 
Xerro-Five
Old
#6  
Xerro-Five's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 78
Posts: 214
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Vancouver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyal View Post
@Xerro-Five

Do you also experience the same issue as ours? I believe it's a miscalibration. Or probably an issue with image sense chipset of HTC. Did any of you guys already tried directly ask HTC about this issue?

Anyways could I ask you guys the build number of your phones?


@VictorCozmei
Considering that this phone should boast low light capabilities I think this is not a normal behavior. What we should do is ask directly HTC if this is solved through software or hardware. As far as I know not all people here experience this issue else we could seen alot more posts about this.
Well yeah, that's what I was getting at lol. Even right now for example it's dark and the blacks can turn blue and/or red. Again I don't think this is a problem but rather a normal behavior of image sensors (at least in my experience) so I haven't made any complaints or inquiries.

HT349W

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
 
Riyal
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1287
Posts: 2,712
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Iloilo City

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerro-Five View Post
Well yeah, that's what I was getting at lol. Even right now for example it's dark and the blacks can turn blue and/or red. Again I don't think this is a problem but rather a normal behavior of image sensors (at least in my experience) so I haven't made any complaints or inquiries.

HT349W

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app
@Xerro-Five

Check this post I made yesterday...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=6926


Some users doesn't have that annoying red/blue tint on their devices even when covered.

Here's mine


And here's from another user

 
VictorCozmei
Old
#8  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 109
Posts: 93
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bucharest, Romania, EU
@Riyal

Mine doesn't get red when i cover the camera with my hand and take a picture (or if i put it on the table with the camera down). Its black, but at night time and in extremely very low light it goes to red... If it finds a little more light than the black areas get blue, blueish or purple... And it gets very hard to focus for a proper shot, even if i point it towards a light source like a lamp post.

I took a photo with my hand fully covering the camera and it turned out black. I compared it to the one posted on the other thread by the other user, the one who uploaded his black photo for you so you could see the exif data.

Compared, mine was taken with ISO 400, the other user's photo was ISO 2000 ... Mine had thew birghtness -2.163531, his was -4.48546

What does yours say?
 
Riyal
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1287
Posts: 2,712
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Iloilo City

 
DONATE TO ME
Mine is also saying 2000 ISO and brightness(based on properties detail on windows 7) 4.28472

This only mean 1 thing... Our phone's sensor is either uncalibrated or is just way too aggressive in collecting light.

I can only recreate a pitch black result by covering the camera if my I manually set my ISO to 400 or 200. Setting it to 800, 1600 or Auto shows up the reddish tint.

I already contacted HTC about this and sent a sample screenshot. Now let's see what they can tell.

@Professional photographers

What do you think this is? color temperature issue? Gain issue? I can modify these values in the kernel if someone can confirm me what might be the real issue is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorCozmei View Post
@Riyal

Mine doesn't get red when i cover the camera with my hand and take a picture (or if i put it on the table with the camera down). Its black, but at night time and in extremely very low light it goes to red... If it finds a little more light than the black areas get blue, blueish or purple... And it gets very hard to focus for a proper shot, even if i point it towards a light source like a lamp post.

I took a photo with my hand fully covering the camera and it turned out black. I compared it to the one posted on the other thread by the other user, the one who uploaded his black photo for you so you could see the exif data.

Compared, mine was taken with ISO 400, the other user's photo was ISO 2000 ... Mine had thew birghtness -2.163531, his was -4.48546

What does yours say?
The Following User Says Thank You to Riyal For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
VictorCozmei
Old
#10  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 109
Posts: 93
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bucharest, Romania, EU
@Riyal

I tried again to take some shots with my hand closely covering the camera.... One picture was purple, the other one was red... In both ISO was 2000...
-4.4 in brightness

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes