Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,161 Members 41,615 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Galaxy s3 wont turn on just vibrates please help!!

Tip us?

Schettini
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy Galaxy s3 wont turn on just vibrates please help!!

Phone worked fine until the other night when mid text the screen just turned off. now i tried to turn it back on and it simply vibrates when power button is pressed however the screen will not boot. i cannot boot into recovery or even download mode and by pulling the battery and plugging it into the pc i get a red LED like it is charging but it goes off after a few seconds or so. So yeah i need help!

DirtyOldMan
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 74
Brick due to Sudden Death

TomTcom
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schettini View Post
Phone worked fine until the other night when mid text the screen just turned off. now i tried to turn it back on and it simply vibrates when power button is pressed however the screen will not boot. i cannot boot into recovery or even download mode and by pulling the battery and plugging it into the pc i get a red LED like it is charging but it goes off after a few seconds or so. So yeah i need help!
Did you have wifi on when this happened?

Have you tried the actual hardware button combo to get into recovery?

Perhaps pull the battery greater than 30 seconds or a minute then try powering it back up.

Pull the battery and then plug it in without the battery to see if you can get to "download mode" I believe it's called.

What ROM?

Purple Ferret
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Brick due to Sudden Death
I would second this. It sounds like Sudden Death Syndrome Bricking.
Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 (SGH-T999)
Rom: Stock Deodexed 4.1.2 JB (With Advance Reboot Menu)
Kernel: Stock T-Mobile

Schettini
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Now it turns on when volume+home and power are pressed but only last a few secs and turns off.

EtherealRemnant
Old
Thanks Meter 533
Sudden death brick? First I've heard of that issue. Hope you have insurance!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
If I've helped you, please remember to thank me!

Retired: Sidekick 2, Sidekick 3, PPC-6700, Mogul, Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, Hero, Evo, Curve 8330, Bold 9700, Palm Pre, Inspire, MT4G, Sensation 4G, Nook Color, Iconia A500, LG G2x, Captivate, Droid RAZR MAXX, Galaxy S3 T-999, Galaxy S4 SGH-M919, HTC One (m7)!
The Following User Says Thank You to EtherealRemnant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

chipsharpdotcom
Old
Thanks Meter 2
FWIW, I had something similar to his happen to me today. It turned out that despite showing a full charge on the battery, the battery simply ran out. I plugged it into a charger for a while and it fired right up.

To be clear the symptom I was experiencing was that my screen shuttered and then my whole phone died. When I tried to pull the battery or power on in any way, I'd get a short vibration pulse and then it would die again. I also cycled through the different key combinations trying to connect it to my computer, but with no success. Once I saw the red led charging indicator, I knew I wasn't bricked, so I just left it on the charger and let it continue to do the vibration pulse repeatedly until it had enough charge to display the on-screen charging indicator. Once I had that, I let it go a while longer and then tried to power it on and BOOYA! We're back in business.

Sometimes the solution to a tough problem is to simply do nothing. Who knew?
The Following User Says Thank You to chipsharpdotcom For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

AbrogateAnon
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsharpdotcom View Post
FWIW, I had something similar to his happen to me today. It turned out that despite showing a full charge on the battery, the battery simply ran out. I plugged it into a charger for a while and it fired right up.

To be clear the symptom I was experiencing was that my screen shuttered and then my whole phone died. When I tried to pull the battery or power on in any way, I'd get a short vibration pulse and then it would die again. I also cycled through the different key combinations trying to connect it to my computer, but with no success. Once I saw the red led charging indicator, I knew I wasn't bricked, so I just left it on the charger and let it continue to do the vibration pulse repeatedly until it had enough charge to display the on-screen charging indicator. Once I had that, I let it go a while longer and then tried to power it on and BOOYA! We're back in business.

Sometimes the solution to a tough problem is to simply do nothing. Who knew?
Thank you so much, I almost pooped a donkey when this happened to me. Could it be a sign of a failing battery?

mc045
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Same issue - power button culprit?

Hi,

I am having the same issue. My bud has the same phone and I swapped batteries, still boot loop. It seems after some research that the problem is the power button contact not opening. I have seen two videos now where people de-solder or snap the power button off (after metering it) and softboot the phone via their PC to recover their data...

I will be switching out my board for my friends tonight to see if his button panel will do the same thing...

Long troubleshooting process for this one.

aamir123
Old
Thanks Meter 120
It might be a power button issue when restarting and showing galaxy s3 screen tap on power button with a lil force like you would on a table. Then don't touch power button when up

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamir123 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]