Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,411 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] beaups Moonshine S-OFF exploit for linux/android noobs

Tip us?

dwc2134
Old
(Last edited by dwc2134; 11th June 2013 at 10:47 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Default [HOW TO] beaups Moonshine S-OFF exploit for linux/android noobs

How to for n00bs:
Beaups Moonshine S-OFF for the Droid DNA

(Note: This guide will assume that you are complete noob with android and linux, BUT that you are not too dense to google basic things and infer basic differences between PC setups)

YOU WILL NEED:

1 Laptop or Desktop with internet access
1 32bit Linux (Ubuntu or Mint preferred, Mint to be used in this guide) liveUSB or liveCD (liveCD preferred, and what will be covered in this guide)
1 Stock Droid DNA with the 2.06 firmware update (2.04 is reported to work, but more success seems to be had with the updated firmware) WITH AT LEAST 80% BATTERY LIFE
1 Factory HTC/Droid micro-usb (Or any cable you know will work with ADB)

Prepping your computer:

1: Burn a liveCD of your linux distro of choice. Mint is my choice due to having great out of the box compatibility with hardware.
2: Insert liveCD into your PC, turn it on (or reboot), and enter boot menu (typically esc, f8, or f12 pressed during start up) and select “Boot from CD Drive”.

3: Allow liveCD to boot, it may take some time depending on the speed of your hardware. This is good time to prepare your phone for shining.

Prepping your phone:

1: Update to the 2.06 firmware update, if you have not already. If you cannot OTA, you can find guides to flash said firmware update elsewhere on XDA
a: If you are unsure what firmware you are on, go to “Settings”, “About”, and “Software Information” and it will have your firmware listed.

2: Disable any sort of screen lock. Image lock, facelock, pin lock, doesn't matter, it MUST BE DISABLED FOR THIS TO WORK
3: Disable “Fastboot”. “Settings”, “Battery”, UNCHECK “Fastboot”

4: Enable USB Debugging. “Settings”, “Developer Options”, “USB Debugging”

5: Boot into fastboot (turn off phone, reboot holding down POWER button and VOLUME DOWN button simultaneously). Select “Factory reset”. Allow phone to reset and reboot. Go back into settings, repeat sets 2 and 3 if necessary.

Downloading, unpacking, and excecuting moonshine.

1: On your live linux session, that is connected to the internet, go to www.moonshine.io

2: READ EVERYTHING
3: READ EVERYTHING AGAIN
4: Download the .tgz file relevant to your device (for most of us this will be the Verizon DNA file “moonshine_dlx_2.06.605.1.tgz”

5: Go to the folder your .tgz was just downloaded to. This should be your “downloads directory”
6: Right click anywhere in your download directory and select “Open in Terminal”
7: Extract the moonshine .tgz by typing out the following command into terminal “tar -zxf moonshine_<device>_<version>.tgz” For the Verizon DNA this will be “tar -zxf moonshine_dlx_2.06.605.1.tgz”

Your download directory should look like this when done

(Unfortunately, after this, the iPhone I was using to take pictures died, so there are no more pictures after this, but everything is very straightforward)

At this time plug your phone (which has been factory reset, rebooted, and all things listed in the “phone prep section” have been double checked) into your PC via your HTC/Android USB cable.

8: Execute the “Distiller” by typing the following command into terminal “sudo ./distiller”
9: Agree to the onscreen prompts, sit back, relax, DO NOT F**K WITH YOUR PHONE, and let the shine do its magic. This should take five to fifteen minutes and your phone will reboot several times.
10: Enjoy S-OFF and root.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO BEAUPS AND THE MOONSHINE DEV TEAM, this is simply a shoddy step by step guide by a n00b for n00bs to (hopefully) get more comfortable with the idea. This may be reproduced, altered, or edited in anyway as long as credit is given to me (DWC2134) for the original text and pictures and to the DEVS who brought us this awesome utility. In fact, PLEASE edit, improve, and revise this as you see fit for use by new android and linux users. Any changes suggested in this thread will be taken into account and incorporated into the OP.

Toubleshooting:

1: If you are experiencing the "temproot failed" problem, first try a hard reboot, then a factory reset + hard reboot if the reboot alone does not solve the problem.
2: There is some chatter of questionable validity that VZW is trying to push an update to stop SOFF. If you are having trouble, turn off your radios and/or put your phone in airplane mode while attempting moonshine. While most, myself included, doubt the validity of this claim it is better safe then sorry.

Beaups original moonshine thread

Moderators, if this is in the wrong section, or out of line, etc etc, please move, edit, delete, or do as needed.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dwc2134 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DaPitt84
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Does it have to be the 32 bit version? If so I just have to redo my live usb.

sent from my droid DNA with xda premium

Jaggar345
Old
Thanks Meter 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPitt84 View Post
Does it have to be the 32 bit version? If so I just have to redo my live usb.

sent from my droid DNA with xda premium
Yes or the exploit will give an error saying there aren't enough 32 bit libraries. I tried on a 64 bit and got that error. I re did my live cd to use 32 bit ran the exploit and it worked flawlessly.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

ickedmel
Old
Thanks Meter 213
Nice howto I did the s-off yesterday worked great. I'm on windows 7 64 bit and installed 32 bit mint.

For people doing this like op said install and use 32 bit just easier and if you're on a 64 bit system doesn't matter 32 bit installs fine.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium

dfa7
Old
(Last edited by dfa7; 10th June 2013 at 10:56 PM.) Reason: img
Thanks Meter 3
Very nice "How To' for us Windows PC peeps dwc2134...thank you.

I have a couple of questions if anyone can answer:

1) I haven't seen any other procedure where "Factory Reset" is called upon. Is there a specific reason?

2) I have a burned image of "Ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso" on USB Stick that runs v/smoothly on my laptop w/Vista Ultimate, but I can't seem to get to terminal screen. I do however see all of the Moonshine flies in download folder when in Ubuntu and "moonshine_dlx_2.06.605.1.tgz"

Please forgive the noobish Q's

Thx in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moonshine Download Folder Files.JPG
Views:	413
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	2032828  

AndroM31
Old
Thanks Meter 0
First of all, thank you dwc2134 for providing this guide! I am very new to this scene (Android rooting) and this guide helps out TREMENDOUSLY since I have no knowledge about terminal/command prompts.

However, after re-reading this guide and the instructions at moonshine.io, I have some questions in my head that are preventing me from going further (If anyone here can answer any of my questions, it would be most appreciated!)

1. At the Instructions page on moonshine.io, Step 8 says "Use the matchingStockRUU..", I have no idea what this, is this something I should worry about? I have not modified my Droid DNA in anyway whatsoever ever since I got the device. I only did the 2 OTA updates (2.04 and 2.06) and that's it.

2. In this guide (dwc2134's) on Step 8 where it says to execute the "Distiller", do I type it into the same terminal window I extracted the Moonshine.tgz file?

3. Once the whole process finishes, and I go back to the fastboot screen to see the glorious text that reads: "S-Off", does this mean my phone is rooted and I can install apps like SetCPU off the bat? Or do I have to flash a custom ROM and if so, can anyone recommend a "tried-and-true" ROM?

Once again, if anyone can answer my queries, it would be very helpful. Thank you in advance!

dfa7
Old
(Last edited by dfa7; 11th June 2013 at 12:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa7 View Post

1) I haven't seen any other procedure where "Factory Reset" is called upon. Is there a specific reason?

2) I have a burned image of "Ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso" on USB Stick that runs v/smoothly on my laptop w/Vista Ultimate, but I can't seem to get to terminal screen. I do however see all of the Moonshine flies in download folder when in Ubuntu and "moonshine_dlx_2.06.605.1.tgz"

Thx in advance
OK, fingered it out. This may just be of some help to others here. ubuntu-13.04-desktop-i386.iso wouldn't get into "terminal" BUT, linuxmint-15-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso does.

Does anyone know if it absolutely necessary to "Factory Reset" DNA with this Mooshine S-OFF method?

dwc2134
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfa7 View Post

Thx in advance
1: While not ENTIRELY necessary for a successful moonshining, performing the factory reset and hard reboot seems to solve the "temproot failed" problem several users (myself included) have expierenced.

2: Mint is my go to, so it may be slightly different in ubuntu. You can also open terminal by pressing ctrl-alt-T or by going to your applications menu (or the search in the dash) and searching for "Terminal" and then inputting "cd ~/downloads". This will, for lack of better words, open your download directory in terminal so that the commands you input specifically look for, and effect, the files there. You may have to alter the "~/downloads" portion slightly to get you to the correct directory, but looking at the filepath on your computer it should be pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroM31 View Post
First of all, thank you dwc2134 for providing this guide! I am very new to this scene (Android rooting) and this guide helps out TREMENDOUSLY since I have no knowledge about terminal/command prompts.

However, after re-reading this guide and the instructions at moonshine.io, I have some questions in my head that are preventing me from going further (If anyone here can answer any of my questions, it would be most appreciated!)

1. At the Instructions page on moonshine.io, Step 8 says "Use the matchingStockRUU..", I have no idea what this, is this something I should worry about? I have not modified my Droid DNA in anyway whatsoever ever since I got the device. I only did the 2 OTA updates (2.04 and 2.06) and that's it.

2. In this guide (dwc2134's) on Step 8 where it says to execute the "Distiller", do I type it into the same terminal window I extracted the Moonshine.tgz file?

3. Once the whole process finishes, and I go back to the fastboot screen to see the glorious text that reads: "S-Off", does this mean my phone is rooted and I can install apps like SetCPU off the bat? Or do I have to flash a custom ROM and if so, can anyone recommend a "tried-and-true" ROM?

Once again, if anyone can answer my queries, it would be very helpful. Thank you in advance!
1: If you have not modified your phone in anyway, and have received the OTAs, then that is irrelevant to you.

2: Yes. Or in another terminal window opened in your "downloads" directory, though opening a second window seems kind of pointless.

3: Moonshine installs superuser to your device, so YES YOU CAN install custom apps like SetCPU right off the bat. I would recommend first installing a custom recovery (I am using CWMs new touch version) and making a nandroid backup before doing anything else, personally. I would also highly recommend installing a custom rom instead of putting in too much time with the stock sense rom. There are so many fantastic roms out for this phone, it would almost be a waste not to. A lot of folks swear by the ViperROM. I'm currently using it and love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwc2134 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dfa7
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwc2134 View Post
1: While not ENTIRELY necessary for a successful moonshining, performing the factory reset and hard reboot seems to solve the "temproot failed" problem several users (myself included) have expierenced.

2: Mint is my go to, so it may be slightly different in ubuntu. You can also open terminal by pressing ctrl-alt-T or by going to your applications menu (or the search in the dash) and searching for "Terminal" and then inputting "cd ~/downloads". This will, for lack of better words, open your download directory in terminal so that the commands you input specifically look for, and effect, the files there. You may have to alter the "~/downloads" portion slightly to get you to the correct directory, but looking at the filepath on your computer it should be pretty obvious
Thanks for clarrification. I decided to Mint and all is perfect! Ubuntu was a challenge considering I'm not an Apple guy and Linux is greek to me. As for the "Factory Reset", I'll gamble only 'cause I'm configured to my liking and not in mood yet to spend a day getting everything back. Thx again!

dwc2134
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 21
All's well that ends well. If you end up having the temp root problem, try a hard reboot first and then a factory reset.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda app-developers app