Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,884 Members 52,657 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[BOOTLOADER] How to Install a Bootloader Update

Tip us?

dstruct2k
Old
(Last edited by dstruct2k; 13th September 2014 at 02:42 AM.) Reason: Replaced I747M downloads
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 887

DONATE TO ME
Default [BOOTLOADER] How to Install a Bootloader Update

NOTE: If anyone has any further questions about bootloaders on the S3, please note that I have moved on to another device. Sorry!

Hi everybody,

As you may or may not know, the latest builds of CyanogenMod 10.1 (and many other ROMs which use CM as a base) refuse to install without an updated bootloader on your device. Even if you bypass this requirement, the ROM won't boot. I haven't seen any clear-cut instructions on updating the bootloader except for a single post buried in the CM10.1 nightly thread, posted by Jiangyi, but that update also changes your modem, so I thought I'd throw together a thread dedicated to bootloaders only.

Step 1 - Identify your model

This subforum supports 2 different models; The I747 and the I747M. You can find your device's model in a few different ways:
  • While Android is running
    In Settings, under About Phone, the Baseband version shows the currently installed modem firmware version. If your phone currently works on mobile networks, then you've probably got the right modem firmware for your model, and the Baseband version will start with either "I747" or "I747M". This is your model.

• While the phone is off
    Underneath your battery is a sticker showing your IMEI and other information, including the model number.

Step 2 - Download the correct update

You can install this updated bootloader in a couple different ways; Most people should be comfortable flashing ZIPs in their recovery (CWM or TWRP both work fine) while others may want to install the update via Odin. Choose your model and preferred method, and download the matching file from below.

I747U (AT&T)I747M (Canada and overseas) (Updating this list shortly...)
  • I747MVLUEMK5 - Nov 5, 2013 - boot_CWM_I747MVLUEMK5.zip - 1.14 MB WARNING: Do not attempt to downgrade from this bootloader. Doing so will brick your device. Use extra caution when flashing anything via Odin, as many Odin packages will attempt to flash the bootloader.
Check my Dropbox if d-h.st is giving you issues.

Step 3 - Flash the update

Depending on which type of update package you downloaded, follow one of the following steps:
  • Flashing with Odin
    1. Download Odin: [link]
    2. Put your phone into download mode. Some ROMs have this option in the Power>Reboot menu, otherwise just hold "Volume Down" and "Home" while powering on your device.
    3. Launch Odin, then connect the USB cable to your device.
    4. Click the "PDA" button and select the package you downloaded in step 2.
    5. Click "Start" in Odin and wait for the process to complete. Your device should reboot automatically when the flash is complete, and you're done.
  • Flashing in recovery
    If you've downloaded a flashable .ZIP from above, copy it to your SD card or internal storage. Reboot your phone into recovery mode (you can do this by holding "Volume Up" and "Home" while powering on your device; let go of the buttons when you see "Recovery booting..." in blue text in the top left of the screen) and install the .ZIP as an update. Reboot, and you're done.
    Note: After flashing in recovery, you need to reboot before you (and ROM installers) actually see the new version number.

Did you brick your phone attempting to downgrade your bootloader?

There really is no reason to downgrade your bootloader; If you did it to be able to flash a ROM that doesn't recognize the newest bootloader version and therefore wouldn't let you flash, you should contact the ROM developer and tell them to add the newest bootloader version to their asserts. The latest bootloaders trigger eFUSEs within the device, no longer allowing it to boot from older bootloaders. These eFUSEs cannot be reset, but @-Mr. X- has come up with an unbricking method that may help you out. Check it out here.

If you're looking to update your modem as well, check my signature for a link to the modem thread.
Samsung Galaxy S5 16GB - G900W8 - ROM: ....

NOTE: I am no longer maintaining the I747 threads, as I have moved on to another device.
I747 Owners: Install a custom recovery! | Try different modem firmware! | Update your bootloader!
Reddit · XDA · Steam · Facebook · YouTube · Github · Google+
The Following 101 Users Say Thank You to dstruct2k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RockRatt
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,549
Look forward to seeing a recovery flashable zip that updates the bootloader. Never have I seen that before. I have always used Odin for that. Thanks and looking forward to trying it out.

Sent from My Spiderman Themed I747
The Following User Says Thank You to RockRatt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

upndwn4par
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9,336
So you created a thread for bootloader only updates, but there are no bootloader only updates available?

What files are available for download? Is that the full firmware or the files created by Jiangyi?

dstruct2k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 887

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by upndwn4par View Post
So you created a thread for bootloader only updates, but there are no bootloader only updates available?

What files are available for download? Is that the full firmware or the files created by Jiangyi?
Currently I've linked to Jiangyi's files, I'm working on bootloader-only updates right now. I just wanted to get this thread up ASAP because I've had a few different people PM me asking for help. As a temporary option, you could just use the Odin update and then flash another modem on top of that.

NOTE: I am no longer maintaining the I747 threads, as I have moved on to another device.
I747 Owners: Install a custom recovery! | Try different modem firmware! | Update your bootloader!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dstruct2k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

upndwn4par
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 9,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstruct2k View Post
Currently I've linked to Jiangyi's files, I'm working on bootloader-only updates right now. I just wanted to get this thread up ASAP because I've had a few different people PM me asking for help.
Instead of posting links to someone else's work, you could have just directed them to Jiangyi's post in the CM10.1 thread.

dstruct2k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 887

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by upndwn4par View Post
Instead of posting links to someone else's work, you could have just directed them to Jiangyi's post in the CM10.1 thread.
The link in my first paragraph does just that, but since this is affecting a lot more ROMs than just CM, people are going to need this information and a single post on a random page of a massive thread usually gets overlooked by 99% of people. The point of this thread is to make information easy to find and ensure that people are able to update their bootloaders and run new ROMs.

Like I said, the links to his work are temporary while I get my own files uploaded. Not exactly on the fastest of connections right now.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dstruct2k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dstruct2k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 887

DONATE TO ME
Added recovery-flashable bootloaders to OP.

The Following User Says Thank You to dstruct2k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

hapticxchaos
Old
Thanks Meter 119
i found this post very helpful and informative i think i would have been MORE confused having just been linked to a single post. the pictures and instructions are so awesome!

thanks man the community appreciates your work, you can ignore the rent a mods
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hapticxchaos For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mcala
Old
Thanks Meter 145
If your phone came with DLK3 when purchased from AT&T this is not necessary correct?

SHOstock3
Jeboo 2.2
Help ME help YOU get more Dropbox space: Sign up for free! http://db.tt/K0OgRPIN

dstruct2k
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 887

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcala View Post
If your phone came with DLK3 when purchased from AT&T this is not necessary correct?

SHOstock3
Jeboo 2.2
Depends on whether they updated just the modem to DLK3 or the entire system. If you have issues flashing ROMs, try flashing this first.

Tags
bootloader, i747, i747m