OK so here's what I did.
I used BA_WWE_BelDT_12200_557_10602_SHIP.exe. However this seems to have disappeared off the FTP site. If anyone desperately needs it I can repost this evening. However this should do the job:-
I then extracted these by running the file until it gets to the point saying 'Welcome to the device Software Update Utility'. Then copied the files out of the temp directory e.g. 'C:\Documents and Settings\######\Local Settings\Temp\pft66.tmp' to a safe location.
Then copied this utility ftp://xda:firstname.lastname@example.org...da3nbftool.exe
into the same directory and created a batch file called Change.bat in that directory with the following contents:-
xda3nbftool -x ms_.nbf ms_.nba 0x20040522
xda3nbftool -x nk.nbf nk.nba 0x20040521
xda3nbftool -x radio_.nbf radio_.nba 0x20040523
xda3nbftool -sd PH20B -sl WWE -so ORANG001 ms_.nba
xda3nbftool -sd PH20B -sl WWE -so ORANG001 nk.nba
xda3nbftool -sd PH20B -sl WWE -so ORANG001 radio_.nba
xda3nbftool -c -u NK.nba
xda3nbftool -c -u ms_.nba
xda3nbftool -c -u Radio_.nba
xda3nbftool -x ms_.nba ms_.nbf 0x20040522
xda3nbftool -x nk.nba nk.nbf 0x20040521
xda3nbftool -x radio_.nba radio_.nbf 0x20040523
After that I ran BaUpgradeUt.exe from that directory. This performs the update, it wipes everything from the device, and can take a while to run. It install ROM 1.22.00, Radio 1.06.02 and ExtRom 1.22.557. I would guess that if you use the _169_ file listed above the ExtRom would be 1.22.169.
So, since this does not contain the right customisations for Orange, I cooked a set of cabs based on my orginal 1.12.139, adding in new bits that appeared in 1.22.557, mainly wireless and bluetooth updates as far as I can see. I have also removed MMS, since my company won't pay for it and it justs uses up space. I have added the Extended Rom Unlocker for obvious reasons. My rom is here ftp://xda:email@example.com...201.22.557.zip
I installed the Extended Rom Unlocker initially through normal methods - ftp://xda:firstname.lastname@example.org...rM2000.arm.CAB
- then deleted contents of ExtRom on PDA and re-added mine. Then hard reset again to get my install.
Job nearly done now. I have now got my ExtRom, but with QTek splash screens, which I can't really live with. So I grabbed a couple of pictures someone had posted and used the NB_Image_Converter ftp://xda:email@example.com...er_859_418.exe
to convert the jpg's to nb's. I copied these to the Windows directory on the PDA and then ran MDA_Bootimage_Changer2 - ftp://xda:firstname.lastname@example.org...e_changer2.CAB
on the PDA.
However I have applied some updates extracted from this ExtRom :
If I remember correctly they all relate to bluetooth. One of them (I'm sorry I don't know which) added the audio and keyboard profiles. I don't know if they work since I don't have the accesories to try them. They were, OEM_BA_11230401_WWE.sa.CAB, Default_BTsearchTime.sa.CAB and BroadcomCorp_BTUpdate.CAB, in that order.
All in all, it works quite well. I used to reset 5/6 day. Now it's probably every other day.
Hope this helps.