[APP][2.1+] Appsi sidebar, a plugin supported sidebar application

Search This thread

nickmartens1980

Feb 12, 2013
appsi.appsimobile.com
Firstly, after 24 hours of using Appsi, I have to say that Appsi has become one of my favourite apps. It is well done and provides needed functionality.
However, from time to time Appsi freezes and the only way to get the sidebar back is to force close the app from the application manager and then restart the app.
I'm using CM 10.1 (Android 4.2.1) on Samsung S3.

Any idea why this is happening?

Cheers,
Eran

I'll do some testing on my old s1. it is on cm 10.1 as well. is it just that the hotspots don't respond anymore? or do they still vibrate on touch?

Thanks for reporting!

speedfreak228

Jun 19, 2011
Same issue as in the post above. Also I the group of contacts I have selected won't show up. Running 4.2 on my g note 2

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

nickmartens1980

Feb 12, 2013
appsi.appsimobile.com
Same issue as in the post above. Also I the group of contacts I have selected won't show up. Running 4.2 on my g note 2

I have a version in beta that fixes some contact issues. Somehow accessing the contacts doesn't really always work on all device as you'd expect.

Are you running stock?
If you enable the visible hotspots, are they still visible when Appsi stops responding?
You can suspend Appsi by double tapping a hotspot. Could that be the case? It should show a notification when it is suspended though.

A small troubleshooting tool can be found here: http://db.tt/OrSAEBar . Can you verify that loading the contacts works in there? There's no test for loading them grouped yet

Last edited:

speedfreak228

Jun 19, 2011
I have a version in beta that fixes some contact issues. Somehow accessing the contacts doesn't really always work on all device as you'd expect.

Are you running stock?
If you enable the visible hotspots, are they still visible when Appsi stops responding?
You can suspend Appsi by double tapping a hotspot. Could that be the case? It should show a notification when it is suspended though.

A small troubleshooting tool can be found here: http://db.tt/OrSAEBar . Can you verify that loading the contacts works in there? There's no test for loading them grouped yet

The hotspots quit responding at all. I don't think I double tapped them but I could be wrong. The biggest issue is my work group not showing up in contacts. Apk won't install problem parsing packag

eranhor

Feb 22, 2008
I'll do some testing on my old s1. it is on cm 10.1 as well. is it just that the hotspots don't respond anymore? or do they still vibrate on touch?

Thanks for reporting!

Hotpots do not respond and the notification icon is not visible on the top bar. Looks like the app has crashed, but when opening it up again the hotspots don't return. The only way to get them back is to force close the app and restart it.
This is happening pretty often, every hour or so of phone usage.

I'm a bit pressed for time, but happy to try and run any debug process if you need me to.

Cheers,
Eran

nickmartens1980

Feb 12, 2013
appsi.appsimobile.com
Hotpots do not respond and the notification icon is not visible on the top bar. Looks like the app has crashed, but when opening it up again the hotspots don't return. The only way to get them back is to force close the app and restart it.
This is happening pretty often, every hour or so of phone usage.

I'm a bit pressed for time, but happy to try and run any debug process if you need me to.

Cheers,
Eran

Do you have the notification set to normal? Perhaps it has something to do with that. If the app crashed it should show a dialog right?
I'll add something to the main screen to show the status.

aldrinmcmie

Aug 27, 2012
Jeddah
Looks nice on my homescreen, this what i've been looking for.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-08-06-11-32-35.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-06-11-32-35.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 239
  • Screenshot_2013-08-06-11-32-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-06-11-32-25.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 224
Reactions: nickmartens1980

eranhor

Feb 22, 2008
Do you have the notification set to normal? Perhaps it has something to do with that. If the app crashed it should show a dialog right?
I'll add something to the main screen to show the status.

Tried all notification settings (incl suppressing notification from app management) but the issue is still happening.
The app doesn't crash per se. It's more as if it freezes and the notification disappears.
If I go and rerun the app, nothing happens. Only fix is to force close.

Cheers

sunwee

May 8, 2009
looking forward to having shortcuts and widgets support.

also, maybe have more plugin packs for sale. how about Apps/Contacts/Settings pack?

negrobembon

Jul 17, 2011
panamá
i love this side bar, i have several different installed(glovebox, swapps, etc) but this is the one i use, my favorite
would be cool to have the option to theme the icons but otherwise pretty cool, ive been recommending it to everyone i can

i only have one issue, that when i select an app from the recent apps section the animation is reallu weird, like it flashes or something, kinda like it was opening another app quickly and then opening the one i chose
only happens in the recent apps though

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

ImagioX1

Sep 18, 2012
THis is the best sidebar app I've tried to date. Definitely buying the paid version:cool: and probably going to join the beta testers. Also going to include it in my rom. 5 stars man. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:

ImagioX1

Sep 18, 2012
Nick. Could you check your pm please?

Sent from my HTC One XL using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

floateruk

Nov 3, 2011
I have the same issue as Nick on stock galaxy nexus. Very annoying. Anything I can do to help trouble shoot?

floateruk

Nov 3, 2011
Appsi is still randomly closing on me. I can't figure out what sequence of events is causing it. It seems to be pretty sporadic. Any help figuring this out would be great. Again, if there's anything I can do from my end then please let me know.
Thanks

D

Deleted member 308374

Appsi is still randomly closing on me. I can't figure out what sequence of events is causing it. It seems to be pretty sporadic. Any help figuring this out would be great. Again, if there's anything I can do from my end then please let me know.
Thanks

Are you sure you don't have other apps interfering with it, such task killers, task managers, greenify or other similar apps that could unwillingly close it?

Note 2 N7100 - Alliance Rom DMA6 - Perseus Kernel

floateruk

Nov 3, 2011
Are you sure you don't have other apps interfering with it, such task killers, task managers, greenify or other similar apps that could unwillingly close it?

Hey Cyberpunk,
No, I run a pretty unspecial set up. Everything is stock other than apex launcher. No task killers, no managers. I only really use the phone for calls, text, kindle, and RSS. And occasionally for GPS. None of which should really interfere? I do have widgetsoid installed for quick settings on my home screen, but again, I can't see anything on there that would stop another program from running.

It's pretty bizarre.

D

Deleted member 308374

Hey Cyberpunk,
No, I run a pretty unspecial set up. Everything is stock other than apex launcher. No task killers, no managers. I only really use the phone for calls, text, kindle, and RSS. And occasionally for GPS. None of which should really interfere? I do have widgetsoid installed for quick settings on my home screen, but again, I can't see anything on there that would stop another program from running.

It's pretty bizarre.

As you say, nothing in your set up looks like could directly interfere with appsi... Well, at least a bunch of probable causes have been excluded, but I wouldn't know what else to suggest you.. Let's see if the Dev have some tests to ask you, or some fix for this issue!

nickmartens1980

Feb 12, 2013
appsi.appsimobile.com
Thanks

As you say, nothing in your set up looks like could directly interfere with appsi... Well, at least a bunch of probable causes have been excluded, but I wouldn't know what else to suggest you.. Let's see if the Dev have some tests to ask you, or some fix for this issue!

Sure I can ;)

floateruk, are you using the normal version or the beta? I have made a lot of changes in the beta to make sure android won't consider it something it can just close. The latest stable release was 1.4.8, you can check this in the about screen.

floateruk

Nov 3, 2011
Sure I can ;)

floateruk, are you using the normal version or the beta? I have made a lot of changes in the beta to make sure android won't consider it something it can just close. The latest stable release was 1.4.8, you can check this in the about screen.

Hey Nick. Thanks for coming back to me. I am using 1.4.8. It's all pretty odd. Normally you can notice a pattern with things but this just goes randomly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    September 13th
    Today I released Appsi 1.5. This release includes the following new features:
    1. A new (100% free and a part of Appsi itself) page in the sidebar with support for
    - App widgets in the sidebar
    - Home plugins (Appsi specific plugins, more below)
    - DashClock extensions
    2. Full freedom in placing the hotspots and the amount of them.
    3. Fast scrolling support
    4. More cutomizations and look & feel options
    5. Music player controls (with special thanks to xda member Dr.Alexander_Breen for his excellent guide)
    .. And a lot more.

September 4th (beta 1.4.21):
    It's been a while and I think it is time to give you all a little update on what's going on behind the scenes in beta. I am working on fixing the issues that are left and hope to release the upcoming version as Appsi 1.5 soon.
    I have got tons of new cool features coming up. To name a few:
    1. A new (100% free and a part of Appsi itself) page in the sidebar with support for
    - App widgets in the sidebar
    - Home plugins (Appsi specific plugins, more below)
    - DashClock extensions
    2. Full freedom in placing the hotspots and the amount of them.
    3. Fast scrolling support
    4. More cutomizations and look & feel options
    5. Music player controls (with special thanks to xda member Dr.Alexander_Breen for his excellent guide)
    .. And a lot more.

The Home Plugins are small extensions to the home tab/plugin. The are small plugins you can add to the home tab in Appsi. They can be used to show things like, missed calls count, launching certain intents and a lot more. There is an open source sample project with docs on Github. And there's some instructions right here.

If you are looking for screenshots, take a look in the G+ beta community.

July 30th: Version 1.4 released
    Last weekend I updated Appsi to version 1.4
    New features:
    1. Customize the size of the text and icons
    2. Change the spacing between the items
    3. Global search
    4. New icon :)

July 15th: Version 1.3.3 in beta.
    Very small amount of changes for this beta. Moving to production on 18th if no issues arise.
    1. Option to minimize the notification. (no icon and smallest possible notification, no extra actions etc)
    2. Bug fix for android 4.0.3 and 4.0.4 devices, causing crashed with hardware acceleration enabled.
    3. Fix issue with long texts on items in the sidebar when there is a title and a description. The title will now also have ellipsis.

July 13th: Version 1.3 released.
    Today I moved version 1.3 from beta to production. The following changes are probably going to make 1.4:
    Improved search: Search through all apps, even if the section is disabled. If you have plugins, search will include all results from all plugins.
    Live folder support in Appsi (add a live folder as if it is a plugin)

If you have a suggestion, just let me know.
    Also I will add new translations once they have been completed. This is just a matter of time. If you would like to help out, pm me.

July 6th: Version 1.3 beta released.

I just finished uploading the new beta version of Appsi to Google play. This new version contains the following new features:
    Proper favorites manager
    Contextual action bar to perform actions on long press.
    Switch plugins by swiping left or right on the sidebar
    Updates to all plugins for the contextual actions
    Fixes:
    Fixed a bug in the icon caching mechanism

This is a beta release, so for now only accessible for beta testers (wanna be a beta tester? let me know). This version will most likely move to production within one week.

July 1st: version 1.2.4 was released

Although it may not sound like a big update, This version adds support for the following new features:
    * transparency in the sidebar
    * the ability to choose a background image for the sidebar
    * Choice between light and dark theme
    * Improved the way to get the data from the plugins.
    * Improved user experience, especially for new users.

Special thanks go out to all the people helping with translations and beta testing. Thank you very much!

See https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.appsimobile.appsi for the Google play listing.

Appsi sidebar is a sidebar application for android. It comes with an embedded App plugin (more about that later) that allows you to see all your apps and add your favorite 5 apps as favorites.
    It supports 3 distinct gestures when opening the sidebar, by default they will all open the sidebar normally. The gestures are moving horizontally after touching the hotspot, moving up or moving down. For each of these you can set the action to perform, these actions are:
    - open the sidebar (default)
    - open favorites swiper
    - open recents swiper (needs plugins with recents)
    - open plugin swiper (swipe to the plugin you'd like to open and then open the sidebar)
    The swiper is the same as what you might know from other apps (like swipepad), it allows you to open something with one single touch, by moving your finger from the sidebar to the item.
    The hotpot is either on the left or right side of the screen, it can be positioned manually and can be as big as you want.

Thanks to the wonderful people on this forum Russian translations have been added in the latest version. Also simplified Chinese has been added. I'd like to know what you all think about this app

Appsi is plugin based (and supported). This means it allows you to buy plugins to extend the functionality. This is not needed for normal operation, but it will add more types of things you can add as a sidebar.

You can either add a hotspot for each plugin, or use one hotspot for all plugins. The opened plugin can be changed by tapping the title of the sidebar.

If anyone has suggestions or improvement, either for plugins or Appsi itself, please let me know.

Download link for Appsi 1.5:
    Appsi 1.5 release
    +1

is this still alive?

me too want to see a hide app/ create folder option in this "almost must have app"
    and i notice appsi "die" sometimes when go into landscape mode

pls continue this work.

Hi all, yes, Appsi is still alive. I just had to take a little break for a while. A few days ago I have started working on a completely renewed version of Appsi. I will not say too much yet, but the most important changes will be:
    - Material design
    - In app purchases instead of separate plugins. This allows much more freedom for each of the pages and better integration between the plugins.
    - Performance improvements
    - Folder support
    - Proper theming engine
    - Grid display
    - Weather integration

It will be using the same Appsi engine, with a few upgrades of course.
    And most importantly, if you purchased a plugin before, it will unlock the matching feature in the new version.

When it is ready for early access testing I will update this thread again. I expect it to be ready for early testing early october.
    If I'm right, this sidebar uses a service as "sidebar", doesn't it?

All other apps I've seen start up an activity if you touch the gesture area. If you press the home button and try to launch an activity from the gesture area, it has a 5 second delay.

So that's a really good thing.

Overall UI looks pretty good, which makes the users first thoughts about the app very positive.

ActionBar in the sidebar is awesome and usefull.
    Logo isn't the best I've seen, you could improve that.

This is my opinion 4 seconds after installation.

Edit: search bar is very usefull

Sent from my Nexus 4 running Android 4.2 JB
    Do I need to enable it from somewhere? I'm on the latest beta and for some reason I only get this by long pressing:

6u2amamy.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

yes you have to enable it to get the option to launch the apps in floating mode. there is the way:
    appsi apps plugin options (you get it by clicking on the three vertical dots in the apps sidebar) --> enable HALO))) contextual action (tick this checkbox)

and you will get a third option to launch apps in floating window..