5,593,793 Members 45,590 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Simplified Root/Unroot for LG Ally [2.2.1]

Tip us?

Trozzul
Old
(Last edited by Trozzul; 4th February 2014 at 04:15 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 134

DONATE TO ME
Tutorial [GUIDE] Simplified Root/Unroot for LG Ally [2.2.1]

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR BRICKED PHONE

Nobody has seemed to post a Guide for this device on xda so might as well!
I think the Ally came Froyo 2.2 but we are at 2.2.1 right now so it should still work.

List
#1: Rooting
#2: Custom Recovery
#3: Flashing Custom Roms
#4: Unroot
#5: Some Roms

Rooting
#1: So ye want to root eh? lets get down to the basics...Rooting is the process of gaining administrative rights to the phone so one can do customizations that aren't normally allowed. Rooting can make your piece of junk phone into a beautiful artwork, basic root user can still use many useful things such as, Custom boot animations, the use of a PS3 Controller (Not sure who would use a Ps3 controller on a ally but who am i to judge xD) for Games or Emulators to play some of the good ol days of Nintendo, you are also able to use a wii mote BUT does not require root. we are also able to uninstall all the bloatware the carriers puts onto the phone like Facebook or some other stupid app you don't use. Flashing custom Roms, say you aren't liking the normal Stock features your phone comes with you are able to change the OS, a higher Android version or maybe a port of a different ROM.
Rooting Instructions:

YOU ARE GOING TO NEED A MICRO SDCARD ANY SIZE (2gig preferred)

1. Turn on USB Debugging (Settings - Applications - Development) and turn on Unknown Sources in (Settings - Applications) you can turn this off if you want to when we are done rooting
2. Method one: Tap this link from your phone GingerBreak and download the apk named "GingerBreak-v1.20.apk" in the second post. (be sure to hit the thanks button for Chainfire on the thread )
3. Download a file explorer from the play store such as androzip, astro file manager or if in your status bar tap the file when its done and install it
4. Method Two: you are also able to put the apk file onto your phone from your computer using your usb charger. just drag and drop onto your micro sdcard and install a file manager that will install apks.
5. Open the app and tap the root button to start the root process, It can take around 10 minutes, and will restart automatically when complete, if attempt fails, restart phone manually & run it again. Slam bam in a can, you got root!

Custom Recovery

#2 Congratulations on rooting your phone! Now to check if we have root for sure, check your apps drawer for a new app called SU or Superuser (if you don't have this retry Gingerbreak). if so go to the play store and search for a app called root checker (you may remove once done with it). open the app and tap verify root, if something pops up tap allow and theirs your proof of root. Now before we start flashing goodies and roms onto our phone we need to get a custom recovery. for this guide we are going to use Clockwork Mod but if you want to use twrp or amon-ra recovery go for it, my good friend venkat kamesh has given us a link to both twrp and amon-ra check out the second post. Go to the play store once again and download a app called Rom Manager, tap recovery setup, select the first option (install or update recovery) look for your phone model (should be LG VS740 or LG ally) and let it install and reboot.
1. Method one: back at the main menu tap reboot into recovery (if you want a little simpler method skip to step 4)
2. use the volume buttons to move and send button to select and make a backup of your stock ROM to your micro sdcard.
3. Method two: in Rom Manager here is a option to make a backup from here i don't use it but i guess it gets the job done.

WARNING DO NOT FACTORY RESET FROM THE ANDROID SETTINGS IT WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE USE ONLY CUSTOM RECOVERY WIPE DATA

Flashing Custom Roms
#3 Flashing roms can be done from Rom Manager but i will be showing you how to flash them from Recovery. download the ROM you want FOR YOUR PHONE ONLY (JUST BECAUSE THE ROM YOU WANT HAS SIMILAR SPECS TO YOUR PHONE OR SAME PHONE BUT FOR DIFFERENT CARRIER IT DOES NOT MATTER YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE </3) and get into recovery mode from Rom Manager. if you haven't made a backup make one now. once your done with backing up your stock, select wipe data, next select flash zip from SD Card and look for where you put the rom you downloaded onto your rom and congratulations you have Flashed your ROM! if your Rom comes with a gapps, you flash it after you flash your ROM so you have working Google apps such as the market and several other things but not all ROMs require them. (most likely only android 4.x.x roms)

Unroot
#4 No Unroot
Stock recovery (only use this when you are on rooted stock)

Some Roms:
[ROM] Velocity V1.2 | LG Ally | Android 2.2.2 Froyo | Sexy | Sleek | Stable Android 2.2.2 Froyo
[ROM] Project Gretel: CM7 for LG Ally Android 2.3.4 Gingerbread
[ROM] cm7.2 for ally (aloha -LG-VS704) Android 2.3.7

if you see anything i missed or spelled something, links are dead, etc.. please remind me!
"A man chooses, a slave obeys." - Andrew Ryan

Samsung Galaxy S2
Rom: Cyanogenmod 10.2.1 (4.3.1)

Rom: Cyanogemod 10.1.3 (4.2.2)
Asus Nexus 7
Rom: Stock (4.4.2) Broken Digitizer, any recommendations on amazon?
Chromecast
Rom: Stock
The Following User Says Thank You to Trozzul For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

venkat kamesh
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1516
Default Recoveries

Here are few recoveries for Lg- ally

Amonra-recovery :- Click here

TWRP-recovery :- Click here

CWM-recovery :- will be posted

All in one tools :- will be soon posted

Sources will be updated to my git as well

and kernel (.35/3.xx ) and cm 9/10 will be available soon
Follow me: https://github.com/venkatkamesh

"The greatest enemy of KNOWLEDGE is not IGNORANCE,
it is the ILLUSION of knowledge "

- Stephen Hawking

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to venkat kamesh For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]