[TABLET Z COMPETITION ENTRY] Open Source IR Blaster + Robots

Search This thread

Bumble-Bee

Senior Recognized Developer & Original Autobot
Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
[About]

What This Project Is About ?

There are some really cool android devices that are out that include an IR (infra red) "blaster" transmitter, however there is yet no open method of making use of this within apps. This project intends to create an open method for developers to create apps that make use of this device type.

Where does robotics come in to it ?

I thought it would be fun to bring this project together in a way that isnt just zapping TV's on and off ;) so i will construct some sort of robotic platform that will be controled by the Z and its IR transever (however i presume there will be some TV zapping involved as well)

[Progress]

[29/06/2013] Tablet Z has arrived :D and I have started to examine the data passed to and from the IR device /dev/ttyHSL2

[01/07/2013] Refined the control procedure for the IR blaster & found some of the important commands (get version & send key code)

[08/07/2013] Pushed current code to github (ability to learn and send learnt commands)

[14/07/2013] Updated app to enable in tree building for cm10.1 (see links section)

Last edited:

Bumble-Bee

Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
Reserved

[Links]

Github :- https://github.com/BuzzBumbleBee/lib_sony_ir (LGPL)

Current test APK :- https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15005030/OpenIR.apk

[Building For CM10.1]

As of 14/07/2013 you will need the following patches from the CM review site

1) http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/45560/

2) http://review.cyanogenmod.org/#/c/45562/

And the following git repo (branch cm-10.1) synced under packages/apps/SonyOpenIR/

https://github.com/BuzzBumbleBee/android_packages_apps_SonyOpenIR/tree/cm-10.1

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean09

pulser_g2

Admin Emeritus / Senior Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2009
Looks a nice project, would be keen to see what can be done with the IR remote if there was an open API

Bumble-Bee

Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
As I haven't got ability to see all the device keys that the IR controller supports I have started work on the IR learn and send features. I hope to publish a test binary (not APK) tonight :victory:

PS turning a TV on and off via recovery ...... gets old fast

Reactions: skiwong20

pangiotis24

Dec 20, 2011
when this project is finished will be absolutely perfect.ir is the only serious thing missing from cm(and every other derivative like p.a.c.) and it is extremely useful so some open source binaries and an open source app would be awesome.it could also control other devices like a/c.infrared has million uses...

bluefa1con

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 9, 2011
this project + halo in pac rom can act like the hover remote in sony firmware
looking forward to it

skiwong20

Nov 29, 2011
Google Pixel 4
Google Pixel 4 XL
i have downloaded and installed just fine on cm10.1 nd pacman but evertime i go into the app it as for superuser the first time i allow forever. but i guess it ask for superuser a second time but i get no pop window asking for su permissions. and superuser gets denied a this second check. so cant even proper su to even run app correctly

Sent from my SGP311 using xda app-developers app

Bumble-Bee

Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
Almost finished the android app redesign ......

IMG_20130710_132354.jpg

What does everyone think ?

Reactions: remma

remma

Jan 4, 2013
Amsterdam
Looking good, I think there is a lot of unused space on the screen though. I would suggest bigger buttons. Furthermore I think SwiftKey did something really great with their tablet keyboard by splitting it. I would like to have a layout option which supports something like this as well, with many used buttons (like ch+ ch- volume buttons and maybe navigation buttons) on the far left and far right side of the screen.

Verstuurd van mijn SGP311 met Tapatalk

Bumble-Bee

Feb 21, 2009
twitter.com
Looking good, I think there is a lot of unused space on the screen though. I would suggest bigger buttons. Furthermore I think SwiftKey did something really great with their tablet keyboard by splitting it. I would like to have a layout option which supports something like this as well, with many used buttons (like ch+ ch- volume buttons and maybe navigation buttons) on the far left and far right side of the screen.

Verstuurd van mijn SGP311 met Tapatalk

Thank you for your feedback, ill attempt to increase the button size however i have the intention of adding more buttons (allong with a device type specific layout) however im not brilliant at android UI stuff :/

WythDryden

Jan 27, 2009
It would be cool if you could drag and drag the buttons to configure your layout however you like. Straight up bonus if it included resizing like on your home screen. Some sort of grid system?

pangiotis24

Dec 20, 2011
Thank you for your feedback, ill attempt to increase the button size however i have the intention of adding more buttons (allong with a device type specific layout) however im not brilliant at android UI stuff :/

the device type specifi layout would be perfect.also you could ask the dev of this http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2271113 for permission to use his ir code database so that you can have options for many tvs instantly without the need of learning ir codes.he will also benefit from this as the codes learned by your app could be uploaded on his database(same as his app) so both apps will be better

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [About]

What This Project Is About ?

There are some really cool android devices that are out that include an IR (infra red) "blaster" transmitter, however there is yet no open method of making use of this within apps. This project intends to create an open method for developers to create apps that make use of this device type.

Where does robotics come in to it ?

I thought it would be fun to bring this project together in a way that isnt just zapping TV's on and off ;) so i will construct some sort of robotic platform that will be controled by the Z and its IR transever (however i presume there will be some TV zapping involved as well)

[Progress]

[29/06/2013] Tablet Z has arrived :D and I have started to examine the data passed to and from the IR device /dev/ttyHSL2

[01/07/2013] Refined the control procedure for the IR blaster & found some of the important commands (get version & send key code)

[08/07/2013] Pushed current code to github (ability to learn and send learnt commands)

[14/07/2013] Updated app to enable in tree building for cm10.1 (see links section)
    @Apache14 I used your Library to build a Standout Remote that can be used like the mini app from Sony. I put the Source on Github. I did not change your lib, so the Source is not included in the upload.

Description
    Sources
    Links to the gerrit patches and git repo are in the 2nd post now, the app itself needs some UI and stability improvements. But most of the real hard work is done :D

Hi Apache14,

I did some work on your ui. Did a redesign of the ui, and some other stuff. Still busy but see attached. Let me know if you would like to have the source?

Thanks

Sent from my SGP321 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Links to the gerrit patches and git repo are in the 2nd post now, the app itself needs some UI and stability improvements. But most of the real hard work is done :D
    Just pushed current code to github and thrown up a test APK, find them in the 2nd post of this thread :D