Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,550 Members 51,497 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP][4.0+] PushBullet

Tip us?

guzba
Old
(Last edited by guzba; 29th December 2013 at 06:27 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153
Arrow [APP][4.0+] PushBullet

PushBullet makes it easy to send things (files, notes, lists, links, ++) from your computer to your Android phones and tablets, and now from one Android device to another. It's all about making what you've sent easy to access by using all of the new notification features available in JellyBean, though it still works great for Gingerbread+.

Sending something to your phone or tablet with PushBullet is easy. You can go to pushbullet.com or install the Chrome extension. Just sign in with your Google account in the app and on the web and you're good to go.

You can also share your devices with other people, so they can push to your Android devices, too. This makes it easy to push a grocery list to your spouse or receive beta APKs from a dev friend.

I haven't posted enough to include links :/ sorry.

---

PushBullet has been very well received on the Android subreddit but until now I hadn't reached out to xda for feedback. I'm confident a lot of you would find PushBullet useful so I'd really like to hear how I can make it better for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	4665
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	2062410   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	3910
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	2062411   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	3650
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	2062412   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	3174
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	2062413  
The Following 95 Users Say Thank You to guzba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guzba
Old
(Last edited by GermainZ; 28th December 2013 at 06:10 PM.) Reason: Made links clickable
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153
Talking An update on Pushbullet

It's been 6 months since I posted the above and we've done a lot in that time to make Pushbullet even better so I figured I should bump with an update:

Pushbullet can now show all of your phones' notifications on your computer at the same time. This is amazingly cool and changed the way I think about my phone. All you need to do is have either our Chrome or Firefox extension installed and turn on "Notification Mirroring" in our app. Here's a video demoing the feature: https://youtube.com/watch?v=Fn6na1hVhFo

Pushbullet now has a full-featured Firefox extension (we used to just have a Chrome extension). This is great since we're no longer quite so presumptive about forcing you to use a certain browser to take advantage of Pushbullet.

You can now send anything Pushbullet can push right to friends/family. They'll get notified on all of their devices so they see it wherever they are, then we automatically dismiss it on their other devices after they interact with it on one. It's how quick-sharing should work and we're going to make it a lot better this next year.

Oh and of course Pushbullet can push from your phone to your computer now (we used to just do computer to phone). This makes Pushbullet the easiest way to get pictures/files/etc from your phone and onto your computer.

---

I've attached some screenshots of the updated app. If you're still scratching your head wondering how this adds up, here's a video that does a better job than words do: https://youtube.com/watch?v=jFLEM46Vltk

It'd be amazing to get some feedback from you all--we've got big plans for 2014 and it'd be great to know what you really want to see next

Ah yes, one last thing, Pushbullet is 4.0+ now.

---

Here's some links: (Well sort of, I can't post links yet)

Android app: (link in footer of our website)

Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...iomidkjlcfhogd

Firefox extension: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/pushbullet/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	2523
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	2479682   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	2329
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	2479683   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	2226
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	2479684   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.png
Views:	2148
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	2479685  
Attached Files
File Type: apk client.apk - [Click for QR Code] (1.46 MB, 1630 views)
The Following 51 Users Say Thank You to guzba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GermainZ
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 5612
Thanks, it's a really neat app! The API is really simple to use from anywhere (I use it to get notified when my computer is done compiling something, when downloads are completed, quickly install an APK, etc.) Device -> PC pushes are also useful for quick notes or as a reminder to check a link later.

Can you possibly include an APK in the OP? That'd be great as some people don't have access to the Play Store.

BTW, I'd love to be able to get a list (or similar) of pushes for my devices via the API. I could, for example, use that to show the latest pushes in my PC's status bar, or fetch them then show them as notification in XBMC. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to GermainZ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guzba
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153
Ah certainly, I've added the APK to the post.

I'm glad you like the app and are even using our API! We're going to be adding more functionality to the API soon. My goal is to make it possible for anyone to do just about anything we can do ourselves all via the same API. I think of it kind of like how the Google apps are built on the same Android APIs I get.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to guzba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kaibosh99
Old
Thanks Meter 307
This is a great little app for sending little snippets of txt or links from any of your devices to any other, including your pc. I have zero interest in allowing it to have control over all notifications though, and attempting such things raises all the malware alarms that android has. I would suggest focusing on a clean and robust little push app with the matching pc chrome extension because there is a lack of such a thing out there otherwise.

Phone: Master Race Note 2 (I317M)
Rom: W03 SlimKat V19 [t0lte]
Kernel: Devil2-2.3.2-t0lte-DUAL-20140102

Tablet: Nexus 7 2013 (flo)
Rom: SinLessROM v3.1.0
Kernel: ElementalX-N7-2.3
The Following User Says Thank You to kaibosh99 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guzba
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153
Thanks for the feedback

One thing I think you'll appreciate is that the desktop notifications are completely optional and Android has a dedicated enable/disable option for it (it's not an install-level permission). This means if you don't turn it on, we don't see any of your notifications.

rekenaar00
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Hi

I also love this program. Been using it for months on my S3, tablet and Chrome. Definitely one of my favorites.

Comments/questions:
  1. I got excited when I saw the thread title that it is compatible with 2.3+. Only to realize that it was the old version when I saw the new post that it is now only a 4+ app. I suggest updating the thread title to indicate 4+. The problem is that my wife is using 2.3.6. It would be great if it worked on GB too. Even with limited functionality.
  2. Is there a way to differentiate between multiple Chrome PC's? Would be nice to be able to push to "Chrome Desktop" or "Chrome Laptop" for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to rekenaar00 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

guzba
Old
(Last edited by guzba; 29th December 2013 at 06:38 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 153
Ah thanks for pointing that out about the title, I've updated it to reflect only 4.0+ now.

Dropping Gingerbread/Honeycomb was something I thought a lot about. It became a choice between working to offer some functionality for a few users vs adding features faster for the majority and I made the call. I know it doesn't make everyone happy though

As far as differentiating between PCs, we have a project in the works that will help hugely with that. We're building a native Windows application that will enable you to do really cool stuff like right clicking to push files, send things between computers, etc. It's nowhere near done yet but in the next couple of months we'll have a beta out I'm sure. Should be really awesome
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guzba For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rekenaar00
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzba View Post
As far as differentiating between PCs, we have a project in the works that will help hugely with that. We're building a native Windows application that will enable you to do really cool stuff like right clicking to push files, send things between computers, etc. It's nowhere near done yet but in the next couple of months we'll have a beta out I'm sure. Should be really awesome
thanks, I will wait for that. If/when you need alpha testers for that, keep me in mind
The Following User Says Thank You to rekenaar00 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sacredsoul
Old
(Last edited by sacredsoul; 29th December 2013 at 09:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 513
This is an excellent app. Been using it a while to push links and apks to my phone. Surprised this isn't more well known.

EDIT : One feature I'd like to see implemented, if it's even possible, is a way to interact with notifications on the PC. For example, replying to whatsapp messages from the PC itself without having to pick up the phone. I don't know how feasible it is but I'd pay for PushBullet if it's possible to implement it.
Get 15GB of cloud space free at Copy.com, plus an extra 5GB free by using this link (I get 5GB free too).

Phones Used:
Nokia 8250
Nokia 8310
Nokia 3200
Sony Ericsson K750
Sony Ericsson K800
O2 Atom
Nokia N80
Dopod 838 Pro
Apple iPhone 2G
Apple iPhone 3G
HTC G1
Apple iPhone 3GS
Nokia N900
HTC Legend
Apple iPhone 4
Dell Streak
LG Optimus 2X
Apple iPhone 4S
Apple iPhone 5
Sony Xperia Z

LG G2

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sacredsoul For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]