Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,714 Members 41,094 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Audio tweak that seems to make a difference - needs testing!

Tip us?

dschur
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Audio tweak that seems to make a difference - needs testing!

Hi all,

The audio on my Jam (predominantly the output from the built-in speaker) was driving me a little nuts. I was getting stuttering and clicks in programs (games), in movies (WMV) and using the phone. Also, there was a lot of stutter in the notifications for incoming calls and SMS.

In attempting to resolve this, I noticed that GB-SOFT Tweak (http://www.gb-soft.cz/XDAII/products.htm) had an

interesting setting "Higher priority for audio media". I turned on this setting, soft reset, and Wham! sounds are as

smooth as butter globally. I haven't had any noticeable negative side effects, just better sounds.

I looked into what the GB-SOFT utility is doing, and it seems to just be setting one registry value:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\WaveDev\Priorit y256
from it's default
0x100 (256) to
0x80 (128)

This apparently gives the built-in sound processing DLL (WaveDev) a higher thread priority and eliminates the skipping sound.

Can some of you guys try this out (either via the GB-SOFT utility, or manually in the registry), and confirm your results?

This got rid of one of the most annoying problems for me with my Jam (A great device).

YMMMV

agiorgitis
Old
Thanks Meter 13
I've just changed it to 80 and i'm going to do some tests tonight. I'll post again with the results...

agiorgitis
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Well, i've tested it and i found that while it does a lot of improvement on the sounds played from the back speaker (media player, ringtones etc.), it doesn't improve at all the audio quality from the front speaker. (I called a couple of friends...but it was still the same, robot, voice quality)
For the tests i went up to 500 (terrible audio, full of clicks and tsiks) and down to 20...
I'll continue the tests.... :?

taron
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi,
Good thing ! Thanks for the test

Koksie
Old
Thanks Meter 4
On my MDA Compact, the Priority256 key has the DWord value 110 (0X00006E). So I have no idea how to change the setting to 0X80 (128). Anyone know how to do this? I am interested in testing the results.

taron
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Using a registre editor like regedit I think.

Koksie
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I am using PHM regedit, that's how I found the settings I posted. But no idea what to put into that setting to change it to the settings posted in thsi thread. I will use the GB prog instead and see what it does.

Pc78
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Koksie I have the same problem with Resco explorer registry plug-in... :roll: Will try the regedit at home...

Regards,
Primoz
SPV M3100 + 2gb Sandisk MicroSD
QSTARZ
BT-Q818 GPS
ROM: WM6 custom ROM
Radio version: 1.54.00.10
SPL-2.10. Olipro
IPL-1.04

dschur
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koksie
On my MDA Compact, the Priority256 key has the DWord value 110 (0X00006E). So I have no idea how to change the setting to 0X80 (128). Anyone know how to do this? I am interested in testing the results.
Koksi, if that is your default, then you actually have an ever higher priority set by default then GB-SOFT Tweak sets.

Hmm, I'm wondering if some other software (Or GB-SOFT Tweak itself) else lowered my priority to 0x100 (256) causing my problems in the first place.

GB-SOFT Tweak definitely sets the value to 0x80 (128) when you turn the option on, and resets it back to 0x100 (256) when you turn it off.

Can anyone else quickly check the value of this registry setting without using GB-SOFT Tweak?

agiorgitis
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Same here. The default was 110....