[Q] OTA Update downloaded, but didn't install.

Search This thread

caskla

Apr 28, 2011
So the official OTA Jellybean update has been out for awhile now, but I'm just now trying to get to the bottom of my issue. My issue being that my OTA update downloaded but didn't install. Please note that, 1. I am an amateur with roms and such, and 2. My phone is rooted.

I have opened the OTA zip file with the Rom Manager's Rom Pre-installation, but I am lost on what to do from there. I figure there is a way I can install this update on my phone manually.

One more thing, I have tried flashing a rom before, but there was an error and I had to restore to my stock rom.

Attachment is a screenshot of the Rom Pre-installation screen.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1372067632438.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1372067632438.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 42

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
If you have custom recovery installed, OTA will fail. OTA is looking for stock recovery to perform the install. If it doesn't find it, it stops.

Unlocked bootloader may also cause OTA to fail, can't remember.

caskla

Apr 28, 2011
I would suggest not using Rom Manager for anything. Flash it in recovery. Plus that looks like an old version.

Sent from my Evita

As I said, previously, I have had issues with flashing roms. But according to Rom Manager, it says the zip I have is a "Rom addon". Should that give me a different result than flashing a rom?

If you have custom recovery installed, OTA will fail. OTA is looking for stock recovery to perform the install. If it doesn't find it, it stops.

Unlocked bootloader may also cause OTA to fail, can't remember.

Well, that's the cause of the issue. I have TWRP installed, and I have an unlocked bootloader.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
As I said, previously, I have had issues with flashing roms. But according to Rom Manager, it says the zip I have is a "Rom addon". Should that give me a different result than flashing a rom?

ROM Manager is for flashing custom ROMs, and in the case of the "addons" for custom mods packaged as flashable zips. I would not expect it to install official OTAs.

What "issues" have you had with flashing ROMs? If you are rooted and bootloader unlocked, I wouldn't typically recommend to install OTAs at all. Install a custom ROM or stock rooted (if you want a stock type ROM), otherwise, why did you unlock in the first place?

Also, if you are SuperCID (probably the case since you are rooted) and S-on, you are lucky the OTA didn't install. It would have bricked the phone. Same thing if you try to RUU. If you really want to return to stock, you either need to change back to the proper AT&T CID, or S-off, then run the RUU.

Last edited: