[ROM] CyanogenMod 10.1 Stable for Nook Color

Search This thread

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
Beside though, isn't over clocking a processor that much over will shorten its life span?

Maybe. That said, the manufacturer's clocks are typically very conservative, and depending on your luck in whether you received a part from a good batch or not, you may be able to go well over the specified clock. Texas Instruments has an interesting white paper (based on an EETimes article written by some TI engineers) on the subject if you're interested: http://www.ti.com/lit/wp/spry102/spry102.pdf

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Knock it Off Please

Ok, seen enough off topic posting about OC Kernel this.... OC Kernel that..... And to toss in some trolling to boot!

Keep the topic to the ROM at hand. You wanna wank about a better OC kernel, take it to General, or build it yourself.

Don't make me come back and clean the thread again or we know what that outcome will be :mad:

Thread is cleaned of the OT stuff, including replies.

Carry on.

MD

nookle

Jun 18, 2011
I have a couple quick questions regarding this new rom.

First, are the developer options or performance options supposed to be absent? I cannot find them in the settings menu. Is the overclock still in place? Can I change all those performance settings like in 10.0? Am I just missing them altogether?

Second, the boot screen and lock screen are in landscape mode, and I primarily use my tablet in portrait. Is there any way to change this? The boot screen isn't that big a deal, but the lock screen is annoying.

Apart from those two things, though, it feels spectacularly smooth. If I can get these two things figured out I will update to this one for good. Thanks for the amazing work all who contributed to this!

edit: nevermind about the lock screen, it seems to rotate fine now.

Last edited:

steven676

Nov 24, 2011
First, are the developer options or performance options supposed to be absent? I cannot find them in the settings menu. Is the overclock still in place? Can I change all those performance settings like in 10.0? Am I just missing them altogether?

They're hidden by default in CM10.1 and later -- go into "About tablet" and tap "Build number" seven times to show them.

We get this question often enough that I've added it to the FAQ near the top of this thread.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
The nook has taken the install, but it said gapps were missing, the keyboard is missing, and gets caught in a reboot loop. Not quite sure what to do now? Any ideas? (boot from SD card install)
You need to install the correct version of gapps. Gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip from goo.im. Since you have an SD install, follow the instructions in my NC updated SD install guide linked in my signature.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

Last edited:

Mineturtle33

Jan 15, 2013
So, wait, do Bluetooth microphones work now?

Sent from my NookColor using xda app-developers app

Mineturtle33

Jan 15, 2013
If it did, that would be the 1 reason for me to switch to this from AOSP.

Sent from my NookColor using xda app-developers app

Right, but Still wrong

You need to install the correct version of gapps. Gapps-jb-20130301-signed.zip from goo.im. Since you have an SD install, follow the instructions in my NC updated SD install guide linked in my signature.

Sent from my Nook HD+ running CM10.1 on emmc.

I have the right gapps file and I've installed it the way you described. Still no bueno.

nookle

Jun 18, 2011
I am actually still having a problem with the lock screen not rotating to portrait. It seems to be locked to landscape. Is there a setting I can change to make it rotate?

Reactions: meteorrock

sziggins

Nov 21, 2012
I had the same issue. To fix, I had to go to Settings --> Display --> Rotation, and make sure "Rotate lock screen" was checked.

Hi,
Try this, settings->system->quick settings panel->tiles and layout->add->orientation. After this, slide with your finger from the upper right corner to show the quick panel and switch on/of the orientation. I think it will work.

sziggins

Nov 21, 2012
Custom Kernel Build

Hi Steven,
I've been following long time the awesome work (yours and others' Devs mentioned nicely at OP) on Nook Color (NC) and since I'm on vacation I decided to experiment with your kernel as been inspired from the great work on Samsung S+ (SGS+) we have in XDA. The SGS+ ADC team has a mainline ROM (4.2.2) kernel (3.4.56) sources synced with latest repos. The Devs of the team and the rest are working and publishing their custom kernels in different threads.
So I decided to overclock with my responsibility to 1200MHz my NC and I am posting my HW Revision Survey too (Linux format) to show that it might not be all the NCs overclockable and might be dangerous too as we had some bricked devices in SGS+ when flashing same roms. My main purpose was to add some Governors (SmartassV2 and Lulzactive) and a Scheduler (Sio) and I am posting the snapshots of the results.
I have just a question to you and the rest Devs. Wouldn't be interesting a thread of how to build easily a kernel in Development area just to encourage people to get involve in programming and understanding how Android works? Fattire has some build instructions here and here (I think) but old.

PS
So far I have no problems with the custom kernel.

Thanks and keep the good work.

EDIT:
Compiled with latest toolchains from Christopher83 (thanks!).

Attachments

• About_Tablet_2013-08-05-14-28-55.jpg
    About_Tablet_2013-08-05-14-28-55.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 383
  • CPU_FREQs_2013-08-05-14-29-27.jpg
    CPU_FREQs_2013-08-05-14-29-27.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 366
  • CPU_GOVERNORS_2013-08-05-14-29-15.jpg
    CPU_GOVERNORS_2013-08-05-14-29-15.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 355
  • CPU_SPY_1_2013-08-04-22-49-18.jpg
    CPU_SPY_1_2013-08-04-22-49-18.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 352
  • CPU_SPY_2_2013-08-05-14-30-01.jpg
    CPU_SPY_2_2013-08-05-14-30-01.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 349
  • I_O_SCHEDs_2013-08-05-14-29-44.jpg
    I_O_SCHEDs_2013-08-05-14-29-44.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 341
  • HW_Revision_Survey.txt
    286 bytes · Views: 13
  • arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi-linaro_4.7.4.jpg
    arm-cortex_a8-linux-gnueabi-linaro_4.7.4.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 322
Last edited:
I will miss you guys. This seems to be the end of a long journey for some of you. And I hate goodbyes. Its been so much fun working with you all for the last 3 years. I want to give thanks to everyone that helped me along here in the team.

Bye and be free. I have been upset for the last week, got stuck in an indefinate loop so to speak. I luv you all, especially the kernel developers. Now that kernels are released along with the later Jellybean builds you *nix masters will be sleeping again, waiting on me to awake you for your magic. I thank <fattire>, <daringrin> , <hacdan> ,<leapinar> for his constant support here in the XDA forums and <steven676>. Also <krylon360> for initial CM 10.1 development . It seemed we were like a dysfunctional family and now it comes to an end.

Or is this the end? I saw Jellybean 4.3 is out. Lets hope the fun will continue for the NC as long as there are a few that are still using this awesome device like I am still. And thanks for putting up with my teasing at times. :) I do want to be like you guys, helping others with software development. Hope this is not too sentimental, but I wanted and needed to say this to you guys. I hope I did not come off too harshly earlier, that was not my intention. Some guys respect that, IDK. :good:

I will still give out help sporadically up in the cyanogenmod nook color forums though from time to time.

Love Valene. << (no not like that, silly boys)

Patience my masters. If we can summons up the great <darlingrin> we will blow this project wide open.

Easy....................hold control.

DARLINGRIN.......................I SUMMONS you. Please make us great again. I CRAVE original code for the NC. I bet he is watching.

PLEASE response. Its almost been a week. Just a couple of days more.

---------- Post added at 09:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 AM ----------

Ok, seen enough off topic posting about OC Kernel this.... OC Kernel that..... And to toss in some trolling to boot!

Keep the topic to the ROM at hand. You wanna wank about a better OC kernel, take it to General, or build it yourself.

Don't make me come back and clean the thread again or we know what that outcome will be :mad:

Carry on.

MD

OPPS. Sorry just backtracked. I will remain quiet. I was just hoping to lend a hand. You can clean my last response.

Are we supposed to steal code? The original coder could be watching and testing us for patience. Sorry to upset anyone. I really am not trolling. Check the github. He just helped <fattire> with CM 10.1 a month ago. Please mod, let him come back for us. Or maybe he just wants to be left alone and post his work only on the github? I will stop posting in this tread. Sorry about being a pain.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The NookieDevs are pleased to announce the CyanogenMod 10.1.3.2 stable release for the Nook Color!

As the "stable" label suggests, all major features of the hardware work and the release should be suitable for day-to-day use on your Nook Color. As the "stable" label also suggests, updates (if any) will be primarily to fix bugs -- new features and big changes should not be expected.

Highlights: (mostly not news if you've been keeping up with CM10/10.1/10.2 nightlies)
    • Linux kernel 3.0.8, plus hardware support from TI OmapZoom's android-omap3-3.0 branch and board support forward-ported from BN kernel releases.
    • All of the features of CyanogenMod 10.1, based on Android 4.2.2.
    • Full 2D and 3D graphics acceleration using the GPU.
    • Unofficial Bluetooth support, including support for a wider variety of BT peripherals than in previous releases. (The Nook Color lacks a proper Bluetooth antenna, so range will be somewhat limited.)
    • 10.1.3: significantly improved graphics performance and improved battery life over previous CM10.1 releases.
    • 10.1.3: various bug fixes, including fixes for Bluetooth tethering, Adobe Flash Player, and a nasty hardware bug affecting the internal storage of some Nook Colors.
    • 10.1.3.1: fix for a security bug reported upstream which potentially allows an attacker to obtain local root (see the dev thread for details). Thanks to Nico Golde and Fabian Yamaguchi for reporting, Ivaylo Dimitrov and Pavel Machek for working on a fix, and dhiru1602 for reporting a bug in that fix.
    • 10.1.3.2: fix crash when opening "About tablet" in Settings. Thanks to CM's Ricardo Cerqueira for the fix and the rebuild.

Known issues:
    • Current releases of Netflix do not work with CM10.1 -- version 1.8.1 is the last version known to work. If you want/need a newer release of Netflix, look into the Xposed mod, which provides a workaround for Netflix -- pastordl has done a nice writeup of the process here.
    • The CyanogenMod Updater app may crash when checking for new updates. Deleting /sdcard/cmupdater and/or clearing the app's data may help.

Download:
    https://download.cyanogenmod.org/get/jenkins/51847/cm-10.1.3.2-encore.zip

Code:
    MD5: 72d6978a754d5637f28f3c031367781a
    SHA1: 316da5997232bb641240c2378fdaa634ce5d50eb
    SHA256: b9391d37418322b1960db8edd2a738a44ac2ea12cdeb02a80628c6f95efaa67f

Source code:
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_device_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.1.3 (device-specific source)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_kernel_bn_encore/tree/cm-10.1.3 (kernel)
    https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android/tree/cm-10.1.3 (manifest for the rest of the CyanogenMod source)
    Build instructions (discussion of build issues belongs in the development thread)

This release is the product of much effort by many people over a considerable period: many thanks to fattire, keyodi, eyeballer, krylon360, dalingrin, verygreen, iomonster, nemith, cicadaman, deeper-blue, thedude, mad-murdock, j4mm3r, unforgiven512, scepterr, rebellos, ryands, kmobs, tonsofquestions, hashcode, arcee, hacdan, drmarble, mateor, dhiru1602 and many more. Thanks are also due to the CyanogenMod project, upon which we are building, and Texas Instruments, which provides excellent support for its embedded platforms to the open-source hacking community. (TI's exit from the consumer electronics SOC market is a loss for all of us.)

XDA:DevDB Information
    CyanogenMod 10.1 Stable, a ROM for the Barnes & Noble Nook Color

Contributors
    steven676, keyodi, fattire, The CyanogenMod Project, NookieDevs, many others (see post)
    ROM OS Version: 4.2.x Jelly Bean
    ROM Kernel: Linux 3.0.x
    Based On: CyanogenMod

Version Information
    Current Stable Version: 10.1.3.2
    Stable Release Date: 2013-12-18

Created 2013-09-05
    Last Updated 2013-12-19
    A belated CM10.1.3 release announcement

As you've undoubtedly noticed (and perhaps forgotten about) by now, we have a CyanogenMod 10.1.3 stable release available at the usual location: http://get.cm/?device=encore&type=stable. This is perhaps a larger release than I would have elected to push as a point release, but I don't drive CM releases, and the result for you is that CM10.1.3 is essentially fully caught up with all the remaining development on the CM10.1 branch. For Nook Color, the notable changes include:

• Kernel-level workarounds for a nasty eMMC firmware bug affecting some late-model Nook Colors -- if you don't have a fixed kernel (such as the one I posted upthread) installed already, upgrade NOW!
    • Various optimizations in the graphics stack, which should result in much-improved performance over earlier CM10.1 releases.
    • Better battery life, particularly during sleep and screen-off usage (such as music playing).
    • A fix in the HW-accelerated video stack allowing some applications, including Adobe Flash Player, to work with the TI OMAP3 720p video decoder.
    • A fix for allowing the Nook Color to use another device's Internet uplink via Bluetooth.
    • Allow custom home screen grid sizes in the Trebuchet launcher (thanks drmarble).
    • Fix a file descriptor leak in the accelerometer HAL which was causing SODs after some period of uptime (thanks webyrd for reporting).
    • Remove debugging symbols from the shipped WLAN drivers, reducing the download size by about 5 MB.

This release represents the end of active development on CM10.1 -- future efforts will focus on ROMs based on Android 4.3 and later. I doubt there will ever be another full release from the CM10.1 branch, but any important bugfixes will be distributed as patches on top of the 10.1.3 release. (I do intend to do a rollup "service pack" on top of CM10 backporting the device-specific parts of 10.1.3 to that branch, but that will be the end of the line for that branch as well.)

My sincere apologies for the lateness of this announcement -- it's been a roller-coaster few weeks for me personally and I haven't had time to attend to Android-related stuff.
    Google Apps; other CyanogenMod builds

Google Apps
    http://goo.im/gapps

As of 2013/10/09, the latest release for CM10.1 is 20130812, but please check the linked page for updates.

Please make sure that you have the correct Google Apps flashed before reporting problems involving the Google Apps (Play Store, Google Keyboard, etc.).

Other CyanogenMod builds

This is the thread for CM10.1 stable releases. There are other official CyanogenMod builds for Nook Color available:
    • CM11 nightly builds -- these experimental builds, based on Android 4.4, contain the latest changes to CyanogenMod and to hardware support for the Nook Color. As the name suggests, new builds are made and posted (roughly) every day; these builds are fully automatic, with no testing done before posting.
    • CM10.2 stable releases -- while the state of the Nook Color-specific hardware support should be nearly identical to that of CM10.1, you may find this Android 4.3-based release more (or less!) stable than this Android 4.2-based one.
    • Archived nightly builds for CM10.2, CM10.1, and CM10. You may find the last CM10 nightly (20130421) faster than the later releases, particularly during playback of HD 720p video.

Please check that your questions are in the appropriate thread. (If you're interested, there's lots of past discussion in those threads, as well as the development thread.)
    Patch for 720p codec issues (Flash, video thumbnailing)

As promised, here's the patch fixing Flash, video thumbnailing in the Gallery app, and potentially other 720p video codec issues for the CM10.1 stable release series. (The previous one I posted works as well, but is missing a couple of other potentially useful bugfixes in libstagefright.)

Usage: flash the attached ZIP file over your CM10.1 build from recovery. CM10 users: do not flash this -- use the patch in this post instead. Note that if you're on the CM10.1 nightlies, this patch was merged and should be included in builds starting from June 25.

(Source code: https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_av/tree/cm-10.1.0/media/libstagefright with https://github.com/CyanogenMod/android_frameworks_av/commit/c58721cbdcbfc46f550954a1c258d9b0529e4d81 applied on top.)
    Knock it Off Please

Carry on.

MD