Thread Closed

Galaxy S4 Active - is it really waterproof?

26th June 2013, 07:11 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 141

2,107 posts
USA Today have an article (here) where the reviewer was testing the S4 Active. Right after he dunk the phone underwater, the phone have WATER DAMAGE:

Shortly after I took the phone for a dip (in not very deep water), the display went kaput at least for several hours. It lit up just long enough to indicate that I had power, but I couldn't actually keep the display on and use it.

Roughly a day later, the screen came alive again, but the phone was still exhibiting finicky behavior, presumably because of water damage. The touch-screen was messed up and the device acted as if headphones were plugged in when they weren't. If this were my actual phone, I'd return to the store for a replacement.

I just got the S4 Active and thought I am not planning to take the phone for a long underwater activities, I am concerned that I am getting a phone that have a very weak water resistant feature.

Not sure if this is because the reviewer didn't "properly" close the battery cover / USB port, but I have seen S4 Active review and Samsung Event videos where the phone was submerged in water for a long time and it still works.

PS: Have ANYONE tried to dunk their phone in the water for testing?
26th June 2013, 07:50 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 34

139 posts
My phone has been in a pool, lake, bathtub, rainy weather, all since I got it. I trust it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aceownstheworld For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2013, 07:52 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 168

459 posts
More
I'd like to think that reviewer just got stuck with a bad unit.

But this begs the question: Is water damage covered under warranty? Either by AT&T or Samsung? Surely they should back up their "vacation-proof" phone..
26th June 2013, 08:20 PM   |  #4  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 785

2,156 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceownstheworld

My phone has been in a pool, lake, bathtub, rainy weather, all since I got it. I trust it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 2

My first one went into the pool just fine. The unit I have now I am scared to expose it. On the top between the glass and bezel there is a small gap... above the in call speaker.... I'm afraid that water will pour in through that... Can you look at yours and see if yours is like that?
26th June 2013, 10:24 PM   |  #5  
Flag Chicagoland
Thanks Meter: 512

3,902 posts
More
He probably didn't press down the back cover correctly.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Active using a Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to robstunner For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th June 2013, 11:14 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

2,107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuadjohnson22

My first one went into the pool just fine. The unit I have now I am scared to expose it. On the top between the glass and bezel there is a small gap... above the in call speaker.... I'm afraid that water will pour in through that... Can you look at yours and see if yours is like that?

You mean between the earpiece and the bezel at the front? I don't see any gaps, at least not with my naked eyes.

On the back, bottom part near the speaker, I don't see it either. Trying to press to see if there is a gap, so far none.

What makes you "scared" on the phone that you have now?
26th June 2013, 11:15 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

2,107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robstunner

He probably didn't press down the back cover correctly.

Sent From My Galaxy S4 Active using a Tapatalk 4

There is a sticker on the back cover that provide a warning for the user to PRESS DOWN on the middle of the cover, underneath the LED.

I always do that, but I never hear a "click" or any indication that the back cover is now PROPERLY covering the phone to prevent water leakage.

Well, I DO hear the click when pressing on all sides, but that's normal like my Galaxy Note.
26th June 2013, 11:16 PM   |  #8  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 785

2,156 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior

You mean between the earpiece and the bezel at the front? I don't see any gaps, at least not with my naked eyes.

On the back, bottom part near the speaker, I don't see it either. Trying to press to see if there is a gap, so far none.

What makes you "scared" on the phone that you have now?

Yeah on the front top. I just think water will easily get in the phone...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
27th June 2013, 05:09 AM   |  #9  
Flag Amherst
Thanks Meter: 36

100 posts
Donate to Me
More
I've used this phone below the 1 meter mark and the only bad side effect I get is the microphone not working well for a bit afterwords, which happens really at any level of exposure. This phone is pretty safe in water if you use it correctly.
27th June 2013, 05:57 AM   |  #10  
OP Senior Member

2,107 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpayne92

...the only bad side effect I get is the microphone not working well for a bit afterwords...

That is pretty bad. I mean, I am not going snorkeling and take a phone call while floating on the shore, but if somebody calls me and I CANNOT talk to them because the microphone does not work, that is a big problem.

I am actually wondering how does the phone protects the microphone, earphone and speaker? There are holes there and water can go in. I was considering the Xperia Z and so far the only problem with water issue is the microphone jack - the phone will think that the jack have a headphone but it's only water. However, that is easily fixable by drying it out. I.e. use tissue or something that goes inside the jack.

Microphone though, the holes are to tiny to "dry" with a tissue or something.

BTW, is the microphone STOPS working completely or it works again after a FEW DAYS?

Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread