[22.08.2013][ROM][4.2.2] ParanoidAndroid3.69 [Unofficial]

Search This thread

NxStep

Oct 15, 2012
ParanoidAndroid3.69
V1.4

kgan.png

Q/A thread for the ROM

After a few months of work, I present you the one and only original ParanoidAndroid ROM brought to our beloved HD2.
It is compiled from source including all the great PA features.

Make sure you check out the PA team's G+ page for news, updates, tutorials, etc!

Features:

• PA based on AOSP sources
  • Combined with legacy repos from Evervolv
  • Hybrid properties
  • PieUI
  • HALO
  • NAND, DataOnExt, NativeSD installation
g4rw.jpg

Download v1.4a

(please do not mirror any of my files)
Recommended system size:
with TWRP recovery on NAND: 290MB

with any other recoveries: 400MB

Make sure you back up your Hybrid settings manually when updating!
Copy system/etc/paranoid/properties.conf to the sdcard before installing the new version. Copy it back afterwards, set permissions, reboot, and everything should be back as before.

What is working:

• Phone
  • Audio
  • Data
  • WiFi
  • Bluetooth
  • Camera
  • Camcorder
  • GPS

• Thethering (please install 3rd party app from Play Store)
Not working:

• Native tethering
Installation

Tools

• Magldr, cLK and Haret supported
  • Recommended recovery: TWRP-Ex 2.5.0.5 from kokotas (either SD or NAND version)
  • CWM-based recoveries are reported to behave strange in some cases with the ROM

Installation steps

My goal was to create a simple installer with only the core apps you might need when installing a new system. I didn't want to include half of the PlayStore as additional apps/launchers, you can install whatever you want afterwards without consuming the valuable space on the system partition.

1. Download the ROM from the link above (no separate gapps package, everything included)
  2. Copy the zip file to your SD card
  3. Boot to your recovery and flash the image (installation types explained below)
  4. Reboot
  5. Wait a couple of minutes, the first boot always takes some time
  6. In case of black screen after first setup, just press the home button

Installation types
NAND

• every partition on internal storage
  • recommended for T-Mobile HD2 with 1024MB internal storage
NAND with DataOnEXT

• data partition is located on sd-ext4 partition, otherwise similar to NAND method
  • recommended for EU HD2 with 512MB internal storage
  • use only with high speed SD cards (class 6 or above) otherwise you might get poor performance
NativeSD

• system and data are on the same sd-ext partition, boot is on the FAT32 sd partition
  • use only with high speed SD cards (class 6 or above) otherwise you might get poor performance
My personal choice: NativeSD for more flexibility and multi-boot purposes. :)
Additional features

• Swipe-to-switch between notifications and quick settings (credits: BigBrother1984)
Further applicable tweaks:

Credits & many thanks go to:

• the PA team (for creating great features and a superb ROM)
  • Evervolv team (for the legacy sources)
  • Sportsstar89 (for the device specific repos)
  • WoH (HTC Desire maintainer - for some repos & help)
  • tytung (for kernel, 720p, base for Aroma installer, and generally keeping our HD2 fit and alive)
  • macs18max (for helping and guiding me from the begining :))
  • guys at the PA compilation thread (for helping me)
  • Everyone contributing to the HD2 development, keeping the device alive and running after many years
So please test my ROM, report bugs and strange behaviors. Please attach a logcat if possible. Keep in mind that this ROM is based on pure AOSP sources so some features are missing that you might be used to when using CM-based ROMs like AOKP, Xylon, Slim, etc.
Be kind as this is my very first project. :)

Last edited:

NxStep

Oct 15, 2012
Changelog
Copy system/etc/paranoid/properties.conf to the sdcard before installing the new version. Copy it back afterwards, set permissions, reboot, and everything should be back as before.

V1.4(a) - 22.08.2013
PA related

• Halo bugfixes
  • Halo style changes (notification background, animations)
  • Some CM bugfixes, translations
HD2 related

• background app limit set to 10
  • fixed greenish photo tint when using flash (credits: cmhtcleo)

V1.3 - 28.07.2013
PA related

• Halo bugfixes
HD2 related

• fixed lockscreen unlock delay by disabling hw acceleration (idea from KonstaT's work)
  • disabled long sms to mms conversion
  • set default notification led color to red

V1.2 - 22.07.2013
PA related

• synced with latest PA repos
  • new Halo icons
  • new Halo animations
  • new Halo gestures
  • introducing Halo sizes
  • Halo works with tabletUI
  • Halo remembers last position
  • low level floating apps bugs fixed
  • Google security fixes
  • Privacy Guard manager from CM
  • switched to original PA bootanimation
  • many bugfixes, etc.
HD2 related

• fixed GPS (should have worked in v1.1 though...)
  • fixed installer wipe scripts
  • removed "Hide lockscreen highlights" and performance options for now (will be back hopefully in an upcoming build)
  • ported tytung's touchscreen properties (all credits&thanks to tytung)
  • inserted tytung's 720p patch which fixed camcorder issues as well (by replacing the camera app with the ICS version)
  • updated GApps

• attempt to fix native wifi tethering: please report back if it works or not

V1.1 - 30.06.2013

• fixed boot issues
  • ported CM's privacy guard feature (credits: CM, EvanA, ayysir)
  • ported CM's quick camera tile - makes a little bit blurry pictures but good for quick shooting (credits: CM, EvanA, ayysir)
  • removed USB mass storage app due to conflicts with SuperUser. Please install 1.1.4 separately [link]
  • PA fix for battery icon
  • updated PA sources

V1.0a - 27.06.2013

• fixed DataOnExt
  • inserted Apollo music player
V1.0 - 27.06.2013

• initial release

Last edited:

NxStep

Oct 15, 2012
I will collect here the tips, tricks and fixes for this ROM based on user experience.

Tips:

• If you want to make app opening more fluid, disable per-app color in hybrid settings. There is a half-second lag because the framework recolors the statusbar, icons and the navbar every time you switch app. If it does not bother you and you don't want to give up on the nice per-app color feature you can leave it enabled. :)
  • After first boot configuration press the home button if you see only black screen.
  • If the touch screen seems to be dead - e.g. you cannot press the small button when allowing super user request - set the PIE trigger area smaller. It covers a part of the screen. :)

Last edited:

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe
i almost had first post ^^^^^ :( ^^^^^
been waiting for some time for someone to port the new paranoid, and to test halo
THAAAANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS for your hard work!

PS: i may not be able to download/test this week

EDIT: PixelFreak has it :p

Last edited:

-pixelfreak-

Aug 1, 2010
Glashütten
re

and i have the first post :p ^^^^^ :( ^^^^^
been waiting for some time for someone to port the new paranoid, and to test halo
THAAAANKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS for your hard work!

PS: i may not be able to download/test this week

EDIT: PixelFreak has it :p

yes @gilbert32 i have the rom on my computer. tomorrow i have a free day and if i have time i will install this rom :cool:

pixelfreak

-pixelfreak-

Aug 1, 2010
Glashütten
re

So if anyone could compare this ROM to Slim ROM V3b (smoothness, animation transitions, etc.) it'd be great.

Thanks in advance.

young ... this rom is based on an entirely different basis, and you can not always change something or the system expand with another matters. if you need the slim rom you must work with slim rom. please read the first post:

So please test my ROM, report bugs and stange behaviors. Please attach a logcat if possible. Keep in mind that this ROM is based on pure AOSP sources so some features are missing that you might be used to when using CM-based ROMs like AOKP, Xylon, Slim, etc.
Be kind as this is my very first project.

this is the first compiled rom from NxStep and you ask thats make this rom to other "rom". have you installed and test this rom???

please more recognition

pixelfreak

P.S.
i cant wait for the install. LOL. My feadback for this rom
- clean instal with non problems
- the first screen is black and delete with the HOME button. (the same in my 4.2.2 roms)
- the dpi is to big for the navbar menu (i can not see the last icon to 100%. this menu have 3 icons. with dpi 200 is perfect)
- WIFI and mobile network works perfekt
- the big animations make the rom to slow for me. this we can change in the menu. i have installed the Nova Launcher and the rom is fast and good
- from time to time the touchscreen not responding properly

tomorrow i will test more this rom

Last edited:

NxStep

Oct 15, 2012
To be honest, the framework animations (transition when switching app, etc) are not as smooth as on Pixelfreak's or macs18max's ROMs. I compared it to mac's Xylon-EV as I used it before this one. Although I don't know the reason behind, this might depend on the framework which is totally different in the two cases as stated above. The PA framework has to deal with the per-app transitions, Halo notifications, while the features of a CM-based ROM are mainly "fine tuning" things like middle aligned clock, etc. These settings are not too complex compared to Halo for example, often just a variable needs to be changed to get the result.
Anyway I'm really curious about the new features in CM (per-app privacy guard already merged or secure messaging WIP) and what effect they might have. It seems to be a new (nice) way for CM regarding feature enrichment imo. :)

I will do my best to speed up my ROM of course as I personally do not like laggy things either. As for now, it's worth to press yourself throught the developer and performance options just to find out what settings fit you the best. :)

Last edited:

NxStep

Oct 15, 2012
young ... this rom is based on an entirely different basis, and you can not always change something or the system expand with another matters. if you need the slim rom you must work with slim rom. please read the first post:

So please test my ROM, report bugs and stange behaviors. Please attach a logcat if possible. Keep in mind that this ROM is based on pure AOSP sources so some features are missing that you might be used to when using CM-based ROMs like AOKP, Xylon, Slim, etc.
Be kind as this is my very first project.

this is the first compiled rom from NxStep and you ask thats make this rom to other "rom". have you installed and test this rom???

please more recognition

pixelfreak

P.S.
i cant wait for the install. LOL. My feadback for this rom
- clean instal with non problems
- the first screen is black and delete with the HOME button. (the same in my 4.2.2 roms)
- the dpi is to big for the navbar menu (i can not see the last icon to 100%. this menu have 3 icons. with dpi 200 is perfect)
- WIFI and mobile network works perfekt
- the big animations make the rom to slow for me. this we can change in the menu. i have installed the Nova Launcher and the rom is fast and good
- from time to time the touchscreen not responding properly

tomorrow i will test more this rom

Many thanks for your feedback, really appreciated!
Regarding touchscreen: Where exactly did you have problems? On the bottom of the screen when e.g. applying superuser rights you cannot click the small button? That might be caused because the PIE trigger area is too high and the framework handles it as if you were going to open the pie navigation.

If you guys can, please test the GPS as I'm not sure wether it works well or not. :)

Many thanks!

Reactions: imooraja

gilbert32

Apr 4, 2011
In the universe
i installed with dataonext, for some reason /data was not mounted. not sure if it's an installer problem or initrd.gz all it said was there was 0 bytes in settings>storage, and data didn't appear in qtadb. which caused very random errors (first time setup many times, apps not installing...)
i will reinstall tomorrow and test, after some BIG SCARY exams.
now i gotta sleep, else it would be 5 hours of sleep for me :D

-pixelfreak-

Aug 1, 2010
Glashütten
To be honest, the framework animations (transition when switching app, etc) are not as smooth as on Pixelfreak's or macs18max's ROMs. I compared it to mac's Xylon-EV as I used it before this one. Although I don't know the reason behind, this might depend on the framework which is totally different in the two cases as stated above. The PA framework has to deal with the per-app transitions, Halo notifications, while the features of a CM-based ROM are mainly "fine tuning" things like middle aligned clock, etc. These settings are not too complex compared to Halo for example, often just a variable needs to be changed to get the result.
Anyway I'm really curious about the new features in CM (per-app privacy guard already merged or secure messaging WIP) and what effect they might have. It seems to be a new (nice) way for CM regarding feature enrichment imo. :)

yes i say it. the small mistakes is only fine-tuning. i have see you have insert the DSP-Manager and you have no Musik Player insert in this rom.
@gilbert32 i think the problem is a missing data folder.
this is write in the updater.script: package_extract_dir("data", "/data");
and the rom have no data folder in the structure.

best regards
pixelfreak

Last edited:

NxStep

Oct 15, 2012
i installed with dataonext, for some reason /data was not mounted. not sure if it's an installer problem or initrd.gz all it said was there was 0 bytes in settings>storage, and data didn't appear in qtadb. which caused very random errors (first time setup many times, apps not installing...)
i will reinstall tomorrow and test, after some BIG SCARY exams.
now i gotta sleep, else it would be 5 hours of sleep for me :D

the same for me (clk dataonext) As Gilbert32...

open the rom.zip and insert a data/app/nonameapp.apk folder structure and test this.
i have installed on nativeSD

pixelfreak

Sorry for the inconvenience guys, there was a typo in the initrd... New version up in a minute.

V1.0a - 27.06.2013

• fixed DataOnExt
Download

Last edited:

-pixelfreak-

Aug 1, 2010
Glashütten
Sorry for the inconvenience guys, there was a typo in the initrd... New version up in a minute.

V1.0a - 27.06.2013

• fixed DataOnExt
Download

i have installed my Navigon on the first version from this rom. install okay with nativeSD. after the install i cant start the Navigon. the QTAdb say me the location manager have a problem. i will search tomorrow this problem :confused:

pixelfreak

Suhaib10

Sep 3, 2009
Mississauga
AMAZING!!!

My feedback. (NATIVESD)
really smooth rom
on 1st boot during setup USB mass storage came up for some reason ( just kept pressing back eventually it quit).
a bug with superuser some reason i have to click slightly above the allow button( probably due to hybrid settings).

Not sure if its a bug but does anyone know how to hide the status bar on the lockscreen in tablet mode( because you can still go to setings and other options from it).

HALO and most other stuff works perfectly.

Other than that AMAZING

Thanks

p.s. anyway to have regular mass usb storage like the one in regular roms

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ParanoidAndroid3.69
    V1.4

kgan.png

Q/A thread for the ROM

After a few months of work, I present you the one and only original ParanoidAndroid ROM brought to our beloved HD2.
    It is compiled from source including all the great PA features.

Make sure you check out the PA team's G+ page for news, updates, tutorials, etc!

Features:

• PA based on AOSP sources
    • Combined with legacy repos from Evervolv
    • Hybrid properties
    • PieUI
    • HALO
    • NAND, DataOnExt, NativeSD installation
    g4rw.jpg

Download v1.4a

(please do not mirror any of my files)
    Recommended system size:
    with TWRP recovery on NAND: 290MB

with any other recoveries: 400MB

What is working:

• Phone
    • Audio
    • Data
    • WiFi
    • Bluetooth
    • Camera
    • Camcorder
    • GPS

• Thethering (please install 3rd party app from Play Store)
    Not working:

• Native tethering
    Installation

Tools

• Magldr, cLK and Haret supported
    • Recommended recovery: TWRP-Ex 2.5.0.5 from kokotas (either SD or NAND version)
    • CWM-based recoveries are reported to behave strange in some cases with the ROM

Installation steps

My goal was to create a simple installer with only the core apps you might need when installing a new system. I didn't want to include half of the PlayStore as additional apps/launchers, you can install whatever you want afterwards without consuming the valuable space on the system partition.

1. Download the ROM from the link above (no separate gapps package, everything included)
    2. Copy the zip file to your SD card
    3. Boot to your recovery and flash the image (installation types explained below)
    4. Reboot
    5. Wait a couple of minutes, the first boot always takes some time
    6. In case of black screen after first setup, just press the home button

Installation types
    NAND

• every partition on internal storage
    • recommended for T-Mobile HD2 with 1024MB internal storage
    NAND with DataOnEXT

• data partition is located on sd-ext4 partition, otherwise similar to NAND method
    NativeSD

• system and data are on the same sd-ext partition, boot is on the FAT32 sd partition
    My personal choice: NativeSD for more flexibility and multi-boot purposes. :)
    Additional features

• Swipe-to-switch between notifications and quick settings (credits: BigBrother1984)
    Further applicable tweaks:

Credits & many thanks go to:

• the PA team (for creating great features and a superb ROM)
    • Evervolv team (for the legacy sources)
    • Sportsstar89 (for the device specific repos)
    • WoH (HTC Desire maintainer - for some repos & help)
    • tytung (for kernel, 720p, base for Aroma installer, and generally keeping our HD2 fit and alive)
    • macs18max (for helping and guiding me from the begining :))
    • guys at the PA compilation thread (for helping me)
    • Everyone contributing to the HD2 development, keeping the device alive and running after many years
    So please test my ROM, report bugs and strange behaviors. Please attach a logcat if possible. Keep in mind that this ROM is based on pure AOSP sources so some features are missing that you might be used to when using CM-based ROMs like AOKP, Xylon, Slim, etc.
    Be kind as this is my very first project. :)
    New build is up! ;)
    Wiping dalvik cache should be enough.

Changelog
    V1.2 - 22.07.2013
    PA related

• new Halo icons
    • new Halo animations
    • new Halo gestures
    • introducing Halo sizes
    • Google security fixes
    • many bugfixes, etc.
    HD2 related

• removed "Hide lockscreen highlights" and performance options for now (will be back hopefully in an upcoming build)
    • inserted tytung's 720p patch which fixed camcorder issues as well (by replacing the camera app with the ICS version)
    • updated GApps

Update to 3.69! :)

Changelog:
    V1.3 - 28.07.2013
    PA related

• Halo bugfixes
    HD2 related

• fixed lockscreen unlock delay by disabling hw acceleration (idea from KonstaT's work)
    This is probably the last update before Android 4.3 kicks in! ;)
    I will rewrite the OP to be more informative as soon as possible too!
    Changelog

V1.4(a) - 22.08.2013
    PA related

• Halo bugfixes
    • Halo style changes (notification background, animations)
    • Some CM bugfixes, translations
    HD2 related

• background app limit set to 10
    • fixed greenish photo tint when using flash (credits: cmhtcleo)

V1.3 - 28.07.2013
    PA related

• Halo bugfixes
    HD2 related

V1.2 - 22.07.2013
    PA related

• new Halo icons
    • new Halo animations
    • new Halo gestures
    • introducing Halo sizes
    • Google security fixes
    • many bugfixes, etc.
    HD2 related

• updated GApps

V1.1 - 30.06.2013

• fixed boot issues
    • ported CM's privacy guard feature (credits: CM, EvanA, ayysir)
    • ported CM's quick camera tile - makes a little bit blurry pictures but good for quick shooting (credits: CM, EvanA, ayysir)
    • removed USB mass storage app due to conflicts with SuperUser. Please install 1.1.4 separately [link]
    • PA fix for battery icon
    • updated PA sources

V1.0a - 27.06.2013

• fixed DataOnExt
    V1.0 - 27.06.2013

• initial release
    I will collect here the tips, tricks and fixes for this ROM based on user experience.

Tips:

• If you want to make app opening more fluid, disable per-app color in hybrid settings. There is a half-second lag because the framework recolors the statusbar, icons and the navbar every time you switch app. If it does not bother you and you don't want to give up on the nice per-app color feature you can leave it enabled. :)
    • After first boot configuration press the home button if you see only black screen.
    • If the touch screen seems to be dead - e.g. you cannot press the small button when allowing super user request - set the PIE trigger area smaller. It covers a part of the screen. :)