Post Reply

S4 Google Edition Flashable Rom

OP rainynight88

28th June 2013, 06:18 AM   |  #161  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
6 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
Backing up now. Looking forward to getting this up and running! This thread has been a huge help!
28th June 2013, 06:18 AM   |  #162  
Senior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 107
 
254 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
I am no developer, but the Nexus camera is probably tied to a few libs that we do not have, or at least do not have the right versions of. I get the feeling that this 'Google Experience' is really quite tainted, if you look deep enough under the hood of this build. Feels good though, at least when everything settles and you work out the kinks. Unless I find some show stopping bug, I am going to stay with this rom for a while. It feels nice, at least until CM10.1 stabilizes a bit more.

EDIT: I do not want to clog up this thread any more, but in the spirit of this being a less than pure Google, Google experience....why in the hell does the TW kernel work with this rom, but NOT the AOSP one? LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAnarchist1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2013, 06:22 AM   |  #163  
luckyduck69's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Louisville, Kentucky
Thanks Meter: 246
 
733 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2010
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarchist1

EDIT: I do not want to clog up this thread any more, but in the spirit of this being a less than pure Google, Google experience....why in the hell does the TW kernel work with this rom, but NOT the AOSP one? LOL.

And THAT my friends... is the 20 million dollar question. i flashed every kernel on this baby. very strange results.

Also.. check out Jaminson904's thread here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2341936

Quote:
Google and Samsung did not give the full story. The Google edition is not AOSP. It is TW without the TW bloat. Even has twframwork-res.apk in the framework folder.
Last edited by luckyduck69; 28th June 2013 at 06:25 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckyduck69 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th June 2013, 06:23 AM   |  #164  
lordcheeto03's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Thanks Meter: 544
 
1,552 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarchist1

No sweat Lordcheeto. Hmmm....peculiar. I wonder what I did right then? What I did was flash the rom, load it totally stock (with the Faux Kernel that came with it), restarted, cleared cache and dalvik, flashed the latest Faux 6R2, (U version), let it boot, signed into everything, and then restarted into recovery, once again did the customary clearing of cache and dalvik, and then flashed Ktoonsez TW 6.23 kernel. I booted back up and everything has been stable, strong, and I have thus far not come across anything broken. Got my MTP working as well.

Good luck! I hope that little tangent list of what I did helps you a little!

EDIT: I totally love your screen name on here by the way. Purely epic.

Lol, thank you for that about my name! The version I flashed was before it was ported to the M1919... I tried one of the earlier versions today and didn't really have time to play with it. I just flashed KT 6/23 and I've got awesome results. Thanks for the headsup!
28th June 2013, 06:33 AM   |  #165  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 266
 
1,299 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
So just how different is this "Google Edition" from a heavily debloated Touchwiz ROM? If it's still running on the touchwiz framework then I'd assume not a whole lot...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
28th June 2013, 06:38 AM   |  #166  
lordcheeto03's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Thanks Meter: 544
 
1,552 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div033

So just how different is this "Google Edition" from a heavily debloated Touchwiz ROM? If it's still running on the touchwiz framework then I'd assume not a whole lot...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

It's almost exactly like, if not completely different than debloated TW.

No, but seriously, it's almost identical to CM10.1, but without the customization options. Not on the TW framework at all. Also, it proves that benchmark scores don't mean that much to user experience... AnTuTu reported a score of ~15k, while with TW and other CM based ROMs I get ~24-25k; but this just feels faster.
Last edited by lordcheeto03; 28th June 2013 at 06:42 AM.
28th June 2013, 06:46 AM   |  #167  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 266
 
1,299 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordcheeto03

It's almost exactly like, if not completely different than debloated TW.

No, but seriously, it's almost identical to CM10.1, but without the customization options. Not on the TW framework at all.

A couple posts above you mentions a dev stating that it is indeed a touchwiz ROM:

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyduck69


Also.. check out Jaminson904's thread here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2341936

Quote:
Google and Samsung did not give the full story. The Google edition is not AOSP. It is TW without the TW bloat. Even has twframwork-res.apk in the framework folder.

However thinking a little bit more on the matter this will still be different than a heavily debloated touchwiz ROM due to the ability to use core AOSP apps. These apps, such as the dialer, can't be used on TW under normal circumstances.

My main concern is one of performance where I find AOSP is infinitely times smoother than TW, at least that's the case on the S3. I wonder if those benefits are lost due to it having a TW core.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
28th June 2013, 06:53 AM   |  #168  
Senior Member
Flag Baltimore
Thanks Meter: 107
 
254 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2010
More
You guys are right....there is evidence of touchwiz at the heart of this build. I wonder though, if this would really make it a touchwiz rom though, or are those bits there for the sensors and whatnot, you know, like the IR sensor. I suspect that this is more of an AOSP rom with touchwiz infusions.
28th June 2013, 07:03 AM   |  #169  
jmulla718's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Bronx
Thanks Meter: 29
 
142 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2013
More
Rom is okay... but I like CM10.1 way better... gives me more options..
28th June 2013, 07:20 AM   |  #170  
lordcheeto03's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag ( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
Thanks Meter: 544
 
1,552 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Div033

A couple posts above you mentions a dev stating that it is indeed a touchwiz ROM:

You're right... I remove my totally ignorant body on this particular reply and humbly ask forgiveness. But it IS almost exactly like CM10.1 without the customization, and I stand by that assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnarchist1

You guys are right....there is evidence of touchwiz at the heart of this build. I wonder though, if this would really make it a touchwiz rom though, or are those bits there for the sensors and whatnot, you know, like the IR sensor. I suspect that this is more of an AOSP rom with touchwiz infusions.

The IR blaster works just fine. WatchON from the play store or whichever remote you use should work. I know WatchON works for sure.
Last edited by lordcheeto03; 28th June 2013 at 07:35 AM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4 General by ThreadRank