5,595,918 Members 31,389 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[MOD] Add Mobile Data & other Toggles to Quick Settings (Requires Sqlite & Root)

Tip us?

Gam3r 4 Life
Old
(Last edited by Gam3r 4 Life; 13th September 2013 at 06:16 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 226
Default [MOD] Add Mobile Data & other Toggles to Quick Settings (Requires Sqlite & Root)

Updated to add the other missing toggles. Thank you Poetic Vampire.

DISCLAIMER: This was done on a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S4. Model # SGH-M919. It may or may not work on other devices. So please be careful. This requires root as well. And please make a Nandroid backup before making changes. Of course please dont blame me if your device goes thermonuclear. It worked for me and it should work for anyone running stock rooted like I am. Again please take the time to do a Nandroid backup first just in case. It takes a little more time, but is worth it just in case you have an issue. So far I haven't had any issues if you name or spell something wrong. Unlike a build prop theres less chance of a brick. OK, so onto the Mods.

Hello all. After reading several threads about asking about the missing data toggle from the notification area I did some research and testing and figured out how to get it back with root and sqlite editor using the stock rom. I remembered a thread about a similar issue with the Verizon S4 and it missing the Wifi toggle. I used the same steps and the sqlite editor from here and was able to add the data toggle back.

Here are the steps I used for the Mobile Data Toggle, read on below for how to add others. (Thanks to The Poetic Vampire)

1) Download sqlite editor app. I got it from here.

2) Open the app and give it root permissions. It should populate a list.

3) Scroll and Tap the "Settings Storage"

4) Tap "Settings.db"

5) Tap "System"

6) Scroll down until you find "notification_panel_active_app_list", tap to highlight it. I noticed its a little hard to get it highlighted because it seems to want to highlight the one under it. So you might have to tap the one right above it to get it highlighted. Make sure its the notification_panel_active_app_list, and NOT the notification_panel_default_active_app_list. I picked the wrong one the first time and it didnt work.

7) Once it is highlighted tap the phones menu button.

8) Tap "Edit Record"

9) You'll see a list of all the toggles that are currently enabled to show in notification area.

10) At the bottom of the list add ; and the words MobileData then another ;. So it will look like this at the end. ;AirplaneMode;MobileData; Then press Save.

11) Reboot and you should have a data toggle now. You can now use the edit feature and move it anywhere you want in the list of toggles.

Note: After I edited it and rebooted the "notification_panel_active_app_list" moved closer to the bottom of the list. So if you go back in and dont see it scroll further down.

OK. Thanks to member "The Poetic Vampire" you can also add several more of the missing toggles. Use the same method as above. Just add the words exactly as below to get SmartPause, Brightness (Thanks Mister Junky), and Wifi Hotspot. You must end the string with ; for this to work.
SmartPause;
Brightness; (mentioned by Misterjunky)
WiFiHotspot;

UPDATE: Im getting a lot of requests for the flashlight toggle so I decided to add this to the OP so that others with the same question have the answer without having to read the whole thread. As far as I know this isnt possible using this method. In order for it to work it would have to be a toggle that was originally there, but removed. Like T-Mobile removing the Data toggle. Im sure it is possible in a custom rom, but that is way out of my expertise. For flashlight toggle I use Power Toggles in the play store. It works great to set up almost any toggle you want. And highly customizable. Ive added a pic here to show the way I have Power Toggles set up. The lightning bolt shaped toggle is flashlight. Hope this helps.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
1st Corinthians 10:13

My Phone: T-Mobile Galaxy S4 White 16gb : Stock Rooted JB 4.2.2, TWRP 2.7
The Following 108 Users Say Thank You to Gam3r 4 Life For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

youngchris29
Old
Thanks Meter 203

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for this! Works like a charm!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

widto08
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gam3r 4 Life View Post
Hello all. After reading several threads about asking about the missing data toggle from the notification area I did some research and testing and figured out how to get it back with root and the stock rom. I remembered a thread about a similar issue with the Verizon S4 and it missing the Wifi toggle. I used the same steps and the sqlite editor from here and was able to add the data toggle back. Of course please dont blame me if your device goes thermonuclear. It worked for me and it should work for anyone running stock rooted like I am. So please take the time to do a nandroid backup first just in case.
Heres the steps I used.

1) Download sqlite editor app. I got it from here.

2) Open the app and give it root permissions. It should populate a list.

3) Scroll and Tap the "Settings Storage"

4) Tap "Settings.db"

5) Tap "System"

6) Scroll down until you find "notification_panel_active_app_list", tap to highlight it. I noticed its a little hard to get it highlighted because it seems to want to highlight the one under it. So you might have to tap the one right above it to get it highlighted. Make sure its the notification_panel_active_app_list, and NOT the notification_panel_default_active_app_list. I picked the wrong one the first time and it didnt work.

7) Once it is highlighted tap the phones menu button.

8) Tap "Edit Record"

9) You'll see a list of all the toggles that are currently enabled to show in notification area.

10) At the bottom of the list add ; and the words MobileData then another ;. So it will look like this at the end. ;AirplaneMode;MobileData; Then press Save.

11) Reboot and you should have a data toggle now. You can now use the edit feature and move it anywhere you want in the list of toggles.

Note: After I edited it and rebooted the "notification_panel_active_app_list" moved closer to the bottom of the list. So if you go back in and dont see it scroll further down.

Hope this helps.

Do you know if this would work to add the flashlight toggle to the menu and what that entry would be?
Galaxy S 4, Stock, rooted, hybrid bootloader/modem, latest firmware
Samsung Note 10.1 rooted, stock
Galaxy S 3, Stock, rooted!!! passed down to my son
Retired;
HTC One S, not rooted, paper weight
Galaxy S Vibrant, rooted w/smaller nand, Slim ICS 4.04 ROM
Rooted G1

Thanks to all the DEV's that made my G1 a DREAM, my Galaxy S so VIBRANT, my GS3 nearly perfect @ SGH-T999, and my Note 10.1 Noteworthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z҉A҉L҉G҉O̚̕̚ View Post
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
The Following User Says Thank You to widto08 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dukeoflove
Old
Thanks Meter 15
Amazing, it worked. Thanks a lot

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda premium

brando56894
Old
Thanks Meter 153

DONATE TO ME
Awesome, thanks! I was missing this because whenever i'd drop down to EDGE if I toggled airplane mode it would jump back on HSPA and I really had no reason to kill the cell connection.

saldebot
Old
Thanks Meter 702
Thank you for this mod, this was the only thing making me want an international 9505 rom.
Followed directions exactly to the T and I can confirm it works on Wicked_V4.
Again thanx OP.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saldebot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Monkz
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Worked fantastic! Much appreciated, Thanks Buddy!

Greg1964
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 24
My phone rebooted as it was downloading now when I tap on the app it just brings up all my apps. what do I do from here I apologize for my Gs4 for rebooting in yhe middle of the download. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

akapaul26
Old
Recognized Contributor / Themer
Thanks Meter 6328

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by saldebot View Post
Thank you for this mod, this was the only thing making me want an international 9505 rom.
Followed directions exactly to the T and I can confirm it works on Wicked_V4.
Again thanx OP.
I assume the data toggle is green?

Deviant Development *Team Member*

Don't Forget to Hit the Thanks Button!
The Following User Says Thank You to akapaul26 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

saldebot
Old
Thanks Meter 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by akapaul26 View Post
I assume the data toggle is green?

Deviant Development *Team Member*
nope, it changes to what ever theme or color your toggles are.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saldebot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]