About:SourceCode - Source code on github
- is open-source
- is HOLO
- is based on WebKit
- supports multiple tabs
- has an incognito mode
- doesn't spy on you like other browsers do
- supports Adobe Flash (get it here)
- has a full-screen mode
- has a bookmarking ability
- looks nice
- is only ~100 KB
I started working on Lightning in January, soon published it on Google Play, published the source code on Github, and it became apparent that there was a large group of people that were looking for a light-weight, good-looking, privacy-aware, web browser. People seemed to really like the work I was doing and soon I was adding more and more to the browser. XDA developers kindly gave the browser a favorable review and download numbers spiked drastically.
Recently, I was challenged by the developer of Naked Browser (an excellent bare-bones browser that doesn't track you) about some apparent security flaws in my browser, and I am glad to say that I have fixed them. I've received tons of feedback from users and I have attempted to reply to them all, although I have missed a number of people's emails due to being bogged down with school work last semester. Every bit of feedback is important to me and I strive to fulfill people's desires in the browser.
This is the people's browser.
- to add a sync with Google Bookmarks
- on better supporting the Xperia Tablet Z
- on better supporting large tablets in general
- on adding better support for external keyboards and mouses
- to add a lot of other options
- to add more search providers (duckduckgo and startpage for privacy)
- to possibly remove the GPS permission for the privacy aware of us.
- to add anything you suggest and I can code
● permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - Needed for downloading files
● permission.READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE - Needed for downloading files
● permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION - Needed for sites that want your location (you can deny location access)
● permission.READ_HISTORY_BOOKMARKS - Needed for reading the stock browser history
● permission.WRITE_HISTORY_BOOKMARKS - Needed for keeping the stock browser history up to date
Special Thanks goes to:
- XDA-Developers: For the publicity they've given to Lightning Browser (and for this contest)
- Sony: For supporting developers like me
- The forum at VMRoms.com (You guys are awesome)
- The Virgin Mobile LG Optimus V community: For teaching me all things Android
- aminaked: for pointing out where Lightning had some security problems
- The Android Developers at Google: for bringing WebKit to Android
- WebKit: for being the back-bone of Lightning
- You guys here: for giving my browser a chance.
- cammykool and tvall: for the idea of Lightning browser
Please... Ask any questions you want. Suggest anything you want. You will be heard. This is the people's browser.