[MOD][SWAP]Swap Internal SD card and External SD card of most of the Android™ device

Search This thread

Lymatly

Nov 30, 2015
Just to clarify that, is it the emmc to be replaced by ext_card or ext_card replaced by emmc? Hope OP will add this new trick you have found. Thanks for sharing dude!

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium HD app

Hello johnwilliam_a_k_a_trash, I got a LG F60 and my vold file says only :
/devices/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host auto vfat defaults voldmanaged=external_SD:auto

Could you tell me what could I change to switch SDcard as an Internal card ?
Thanks a lot, I really don't know what to do ! :(

M

mantalamo

Hello johnwilliam_a_k_a_trash, I got a LG F60 and my vold file says only :
/devices/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host auto vfatdefaultsvoldmanaged=external_SD:auto

Could you tell me what could I change to switch SDcard as an Internal card ?
Thanks a lot, I really don't know what to do ! :(

Hi! It's been a long while I checked this thread. Nonetheless, your script is unusual. What remembered this specific hack work only for JB. But there are some threads that I have read just recently that they managed to switch internal and external for latest Android version but their tutorials are not clear which is which to change. Sorry about that if I coudn't help you.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using XDA Premium HD app

M

mantalamo

Possible swap for Kitkat and Lollipop. Please check the link below. This might resolve everyone's predicament. Though I tried it on my LG L Fino running Android 4.4.2 but it wasn't successful. Though there is a risk upon installation of Xposed that it might cause soft brick or bootloop. But if you can manage to recover your device from bootloop then just go ahead. Don't forget to make a backup of your system before doing this tutorial. Good Luck!

http://www.skyneel.com/2015/09/how-to-swap-internal-storage-with-the-sd-card-in-android-device.html

mondhercherif

Jun 5, 2015
resetting the swap

Hello

I followed the SWAP SD INTERNAL TO SD EXTERNAL on Sony Xperia J Procedure but I was not successful.

When I reboot the Sony Xperia J it stay stacked on the "XPERIA" blinking screen.

As I have no access to the file system, can you tell me how can I delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot my phone.

Thank you

Last edited:

Techno'CRACKS'

May 30, 2013
Hyderabad
Hello

I followed the SWAP SD INTERNAL TO SD EXTERNAL on Sony Xperia J Procedure but I was not successful.

When I reboot the Sony Xperia J it stay stacked on the "XPERIA" blinking screen.

As I have no access to the file system, can you tell me how can I delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot my phone.

Thank you

If the phone is not booting you cannot edit the file, if you have nandroid backup restore it, else flash the same rom you had without erasing data, so that your data will not be lost.

Techno'CRACKS'

May 30, 2013
Hyderabad
How can I restore a backup as When I reboot the Sony Xperia J it stay stacked on the "XPERIA" blinking screen.
Thanks you

Power off your device by removing battery.
Insert the battery and boot in recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power Button at the same time.
Release all buttons when the Sony Xperia J screen flickers and in a few seconds the Recovery screen will appear.

mondhercherif

Jun 5, 2015
Insert the battery and boot in recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power Button at the same time.
Release all buttons when the Sony Xperia J screen flickers and in a few seconds the Recovery screen will appear.

Sorry, after the Release all buttons when the Sony Xperia J screen flickers the Recovery screen did not appear. Any other solution ?
Thank you

Last edited:

mondhercherif

Jun 5, 2015

Sorry, the Sony Xperia J screen flickers but no Recovery screen appearing !
Any other solution ?
Thank you

zarni000

Sep 12, 2013
I have tried just about everything. (external to internal app, WSM tools/ExinternalSD etc) Am on Kitkat rooted. HTC kernel prevents writing so flashed.
However the content of my vold.fstab is only this:

#dev_mount sdcard /storage/sdcard1
auto /devices/msm_sdcc.2/mmc_host

any ideas on how to swap these?

ravijordan

May 11, 2016
How to Swap Storage in Coolpad Dazzen1

How to Swap Storage in Coolpad Dazzen1 i have tried everything, xposed, swap sd, edited the vold.fstab i have tried everything, still the storage remains no changes are made.
Help Me Out Please.
Even if i delete the vold.fstab, the phone boots properly and the storage are mounted Correctly,
Device Info
Coolpad Dazzen 1 Indian Version
Android4.4.4

Please help me with this issue in solving.

nklblr

Sep 28, 2016
Thanks, great this worked fine for Micromax-A89 (ics) phone storage increased from 2Gb to 8Gb

before
## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard2 auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

After

## Example of a standard sdcard mount for the emulator / Dream
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard2 emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

weedboi6969

May 21, 2017
Hanoi
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE LISTEN AND DO NOT DO THIS TO YOUR ANDROID!

you do not want to find out what happens. it definitely does not switch your drives, it will brick your machine and you will never be able to fix it without a replacement, please take it from someone who fell for this bull****.

THE DAMAGE YOU CAN CAUSE IS IRREVERSABLE.. not only does it cause your android to freeze at the loading screen but it also takes away the option to boot into recovery mode and connect to a computer to flash the drive.

YOUR WEBPAGE IS USELESS SPAM don't even try to redeem yourself at this point that's 2 brick messages in a row. it bricked my android on the reboot you f*cking pr*ck.
No, you are an idiot.

edson097

Jun 18, 2018
tengo problema con mi moto g3 xt1542 1gb de ram y 8gb de almacenamiento interno

hola amigos quisiera que me des una solucion cuando pongo formatear como almacenamiento interno mi micro sd no da tengo android 6.0
tal vez falta modificar el archivo vold aqui lo dejo aver si me pueden ayudar porfa

# Copyright (c) 2013, The Linux Foundation. All rights reserved.
#
# Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without
# modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are
# met:
# * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
# notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
# * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
# copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following
# disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided
# with the distribution.
# * Neither the name of The Linux Foundation nor the names of its
# contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived
# from this software without specific prior written permission.
#
# THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED
# WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF
# MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT
# ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS
# BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR
# CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF
# SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR
# BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY,
# WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE
# OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN
# IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.

# MTP
#dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/sdcard/external_sd auto /devices/platform/msm_sdcc.3/mmc_host

d00d3k

May 15, 2020
Someone tried meizu (Flyme software)? I've meizu m5 and can't see vold.fstab , only etc/recovery.fstab

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This feature is now native in Android 6.0, just follow the below steps to turn External SD card into Internal storage on Marshmallow

1. Go to “Settings” --> then select “Storage”.
    2. Select SD Card and then tap the menu button on top-right corner or your native menu button and select “Settings” from there.
    3. Select “Format as Internal
    4. Select “Erase & Format”.
    5. Wait for some time as your SD card will be formatted.
    6. Reboot the device.

The below method no longer work on any of the new devices running KitKat and later. Please don't use this method anymore else you would mess up your storage system :eek:
    EDIT: This doesn't seem to work on SAMSUNG devices so please don't try on them. This works on most of the MediaTek devices and few Sony devices. If you were able to successfully swap please mention your device name.Don't forget to read the warning.

Warning: Please do a complete CWM Backup of your device, so that if anything goes wrong you can revert back to original state. Please don't blame me if you forget to do a complete CWM Backup

I have a phone with me Xperia J and it has only 2 GB of Internal memory for apps but data for few HD games like NFSMW is 1.8 GB i.e nearly 2 GB and if I paste the data in external SD then it will not be detected, then how can we install and play these HD games on devices like these?

The only solution to this is swapping Android's external and internal SD cards so that I can get my SD card's size as internal memory.

Discliamer:I am not responsible if you mess up with your phone, for bricked phones and dead sd cards. Try this on your own risk.

Then how can we do this?

Its very simple by modifying the code in vold.fstab file which is present in ext folder of Android's system folder.

This file so called vold.fstab has mounting information for the device to mount the SD cards so change the code to swap the SD cards so that ext_card will be mounted as sdcard and sdcard will be mounted as ext_card.

Note: This will work on any Android phone with internal and external SD cards.

Here is the procedure with an example I have done on Xperia J's vold.fstab file.

1. First of all your phone must be ROOTED, If its not then STOP here and get the Root first.

2. Download Root Explorer or any other such explorer which can explore root directory of device.

3. Navigate to system/etc folder mount it as rw(read/write).

4. There you will find vold.fstab file, copy it to your sdcard.

5. Then in your PC open the file in an Text Editor.

6. Find the lines like these,

Code:
    dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard emmc@fat /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.0 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.0/mmc_host
    dev_mount sdcard2 /mnt/ext_card auto /devices/platform/goldfish_mmc.1 /devices/platform/mtk-sd.1/mmc_host

7. Replace sdcard with ext_card and ext_card with sdcard in those two lines.

8. Again navigate to system/etc change the name of the current vold.fstab file to vold.fstab.old (backup).

9. Paste the new edited vold.fstab file there and long press on it you will get a menu from there change the permissions to "rw_r_ _r_ _" this is important.

10. Reboot the system.

11. If you want to restore changes, delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot.

All the best.
    EDIT: This doesn't seem to work on SAMSUNG devices so please don't try on them. This works on most of the MediaTek devices and few Sony devices. If you were able to successfully swap please mention your device name.Don't forget to read the warning.

Warning: Please do a complete CWM Backup of your device, so that if anything goes wrong you can revert back to original state. Please don't blame me if you forget to do a complete CWM Backup

I have a phone with me Xperia J and it has only 2 GB of Internal memory for apps but data for few HD games like NFSMW is 1.8 GB i.e nearly 2 GB and if I paste the data in external SD then it will not be detected, then how can we install and play these HD games on devices like these?

The only solution to this is swapping Android's external and internal SD cards so that I can get my SD card's size as internal memory.

Discliamer:I am not responsible if you mess up with your phone, for bricked phones and dead sd cards. Try this on your own risk.

Then how can we do this?

Its very simple by modifying the code in vold.fstab file which is present in ext folder of Android's system folder.

This file so called vold.fstab has mounting information for the device to mount the SD cards so change the code to swap the SD cards so that ext_card will be mounted as sdcard and sdcard will be mounted as ext_card.

Here is the procedure with an example I have done on Xperia J's vold.fstab file.

1. First of all your phone must be ROOTED, If its not then STOP here and get the Root first.

2. Download Root Explorer or any other such explorer which can explore root directory of device.

Capture2.PNG

7. Replace sdcard with ext_card and ext_card with sdcard in these two lines.

Capture.PNG

8. Again navigate to system/etc change the name of the current vold.fstab file to vold.fstab.old (backup).

9. Paste the new edited vold.fstab file there and long press on it you will get a menu from there change the permissions to "rw_r_ _r_ _" this is important.

10. Reboot the system.

11. If you want to restore changes, delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot.

All the best.

Worked for me..
    Great fix for common problem

But I need some help. When I open the text file on my PC I am not sure which lines to swap. Any assistance will be appreciated.I am attaching a copy of my text file. Thanks

Discliamer:I am not responsible if you mess up with your phone and for bricked phones and dead sd cards.

Then how can we do this?

7. Replace sdcard with ext_card and ext_card with sdcard in these two lines.

10. Reboot the system.

11. If any thing goes wrong, delete the edited vold.fstab file and rename the vold.fstab.old file as vold.fstab and reboot.
    Replace sdcard with sdcard2 and viceversa in your vold.fstab

Sent from my Micromax A110 using xda app-developers app
    hope this helps. worked for me.

How to Use a Micro SD or SD Card as Internal Storage on Any Android Device: https://youtu.be/92aS5Nh7cFw
    Hit that like button!!
    Also a link to the app.