Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,293 Members 38,570 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE] Root for Galaxy S4 Active! (SGH-i537 ~ AT&T) [UPDATED 7/8/2013 @ 10PM MST]

Tip us?

TenEightyPee
Old
(Last edited by TenEightyPee; 9th July 2013 at 06:44 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
Info 2 [GUIDE] Root for Galaxy S4 Active! (SGH-i537 ~ AT&T) [UPDATED 7/8/2013 @ 10PM MST]

-------------------------

This guide is to help people root their Galaxy S4 Active devices. Model SGH-i537 on AT&T.

Credit goes to geohot for the release of activeroot apk!

-------------------------

1. First go to Settings and click the "More" tab. Then go into security and check "Unknown Sources."

2. Visit http://geohot.com/activeroot from your device and click the lampda picture to download the apk file.

3. Run the apk. It should give you a message telling you that you have root. Worked almost instantly for me.

4. Visit the Play Store and download SuperSU. (NOTE: You MUST download and use SuperSU to manage superuser permissions, nothing else. Only SuperSU currently can circumvent Samsung's "root blocker" in the kernel.)

5. Open the Super SU app and update binaries.

6. Optional. Donate. I contributed $10 to the original bounty, but really... this is a quick and simple method. Toss him $5 bucks if this root helps you out!

Kill AT&T's OTA updater before it kills you!

Use a root enabled file explorer (Like Root Explorer) and navigate to: /system/app/

Rename or delete wssyncmldm.apk

If you want to get rid of AT&T's nannying nagging message about root access delete or rename KNOXAgent.apk

Install App Quarantine, go into settings and uncheck Hide system apps and disable AT&T Updater

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ===== ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

UNROOT and RETURN TO STOCK:

File Name: Oneclick_I537UCUAMF1.7z
MD5: 5860A429420FF9029C8CF687F43E3D83
Password: rootzwiki
DOWNLOAD: Here
Credit: RootzWiki

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ ===== ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

======================================
F.A.Q.
======================================

Q: What does activeroot do for my phone?
A: It gives you root access to the phone's file system. Even the Android system files.

Q: What can I do with root?
A: You can run applications that require root access to function. Apps like Titanium Backup, can back up all of your apps and settings and save it in your phone's storage/SD card. You can also freeze (disable) or delete pre-installed apps that came with the phone (AT&T/Samsung bloatware).

Q. Is root dangerous?
A. Well, it does give you access to files you were not supposed to be allowed to manipulate. If you accidentally delete files that are important, you could cause the phone to crash and prevent booting.

Q. Can I install a custom ROM?
A. As of 7/8/13, the answer is no. Not yet. To be able to install a custom ROM, you need to be able to install a custom recovery. As of now, the bootloader of the original Galaxy S4 and the Galaxy S4 Active are still locked. The original GS4 currently has an venerability in it's bootloader that allows for an exploit (called Loki exploit) to be used that enables installation of custom recoveries and ROMS. This vulnerability has been patched since the release of the GS4 Active, and our phones cannot take advantage of the Loki exploit.

Q. Will the GS4A's bootloader EVER be unlocked?
A. No one knows for sure. The Galaxy S4 Active is a niche product available exclusively on AT&T in the USA. It will never reach the sales numbers that the original Galaxy S4 will achieve because of this. Since the original GS4 will be the phone in more users' hands... the same can be said for the hands of developers. A developer who bought the original GS4, is not likely to also buy a GS4A. That being said, the original GS4 is a very popular device and people are working hard on it's bootloader. The GS4 and the GS4A are similar enough that if the GS4 gets unlocked, luck may shine on us and the method may unlock our phones as well. But, as the old saying goes, "I wouldn't hold your breath."
The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to TenEightyPee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Sc4ryB3ar
Old
Thanks Meter 83
So, what is the difference between active root and passive root?

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sc4ryB3ar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

firemedic1343
Old
Thanks Meter 68
This looks like the easiest root I've ever seen.
Galaxy S4 Active, Galaxy S4, Galaxy Note, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO, Motorola Q9C, Motorola Q9

Jonnyredcorn
Old
Thanks Meter 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by toothmkr57 View Post
So, what is the difference between active root and passive root?

Are you serious? This is for the device Galaxy s4 active.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jonnyredcorn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sleze
Old
(Last edited by sleze; 2nd July 2013 at 04:51 PM.) Reason: I was wrong
Thanks Meter 4
Update: It is working despite the error messages I got from the apps. Literally the easiest root ever.

---------------------
Not working for me. Neither Super User or Super SU will work. Says I am missing an SU binary.
S4 Active
Infuse 4G (Traded in)
Tilt 2 (retired backup phone)
8525 (deceased)
www.thereheis.com

afpilot
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up It works!

I was nervous because no one posted that they had used it yet. I just did it. Worked easily.

Sc4ryB3ar
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnyredcorn View Post
Are you serious? This is for the device Galaxy s4 active.

Sent from my Galaxy S4
I didn't get that is was a play on words....doh :/....its early, I'm groggy

joshuadjohnson22
Old
Thanks Meter 782

DONATE TO ME
Please update the OP with the following information:

kill AT&T's OTA updater before it kills you!

/system/app/

If you want to get rid of AT&T's nannying nagging message about root access delete or rename KNOXAgent.apk

Install Superuser Su and update the Binaries

Install App Quarantine, go into settings and uncheck Hide system apps and disable AT&T updater
If I have helped you out, it doesn't hurt to hit that thanks button!
Current:
LG G2
LG G Pad 8.3
Previous Devices:

Nokia 6225, Razr V3i, Nokia 6682, Nokia N73, Sony Ericson w810i, HTC S710, HTC Touch, iPhone, iPhone 3G Black, iPhone 3GS Black, iPhone 4 Black, Samsung Galaxy S2 Black, iPhone 4 Black (again), Pantech Burst Black, HTC One X grey, Samsung Galaxy S4 Black, HTC One Black, HTC One Silver, Galaxy S4 Active Urban Grey, LG G2 Black(current)

..also had multiple "Go Phones"
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to joshuadjohnson22 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

thatbigmoose
Old
(Last edited by thatbigmoose; 2nd July 2013 at 05:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuadjohnson22 View Post
Please update the OP with the following information:

kill AT&T's OTA updater before it kills you!

/system/app/

Install Superuser Su and update the Binaries

Install App Quarantine, go into settings and uncheck Hide system apps and disable AT&T updater
Please also try to split the OP up into sections with [ HIDE ] tags, and if you're feeling committed to this you can include in the title that this thread will be a general FAQ about all things root with this device.

Edit: Please include in the OP that users MUST download and use SuperSU to manage their superuser permissions, nothing else. Only SuperSU currently can circumvent samsung's "root blocker" in the kernel.
Motorola Razr original -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone 4 -> Galaxy S2(i777) -> Galaxy S3(i747) -> Galaxy S4 active(SGH-i537)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thatbigmoose For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TenEightyPee
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 43
The mods moved this out of Original Android Development forum. Dunno where to go from here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using xda app-developers app

Tags
galaxy s4 active at&t root