5,594,282 Members 43,866 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HTC One Teardown (Really not that bad)

Tip us?

itzsnookums
Old
(Last edited by itzsnookums; 7th July 2013 at 03:25 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 237
Default HTC One Teardown (Really not that bad)

Hey Guys i recently dropped my device into some water, no biggie device still worked and everything, but it was an excuse to get a device with slightly better Bin, so i filed a insurance replacement. So i figured i had already screwed it up, why not take it apart before sending it back.....

As with probably everyone we have all seen the IFIXIT tear-down of our device and they had some issues taking it apart, and even damaging the plastic bezel on the housing. So i was intimidated, but i wanted to see if it really was that hard.....

Guys its NOT HARD AT ALL....The hardest part is the plastic on the sides is actually pretty soft, but the only damage i had was before i heated the device up i tried trying to pry the speaker cover off with just a screwdriver (bad idea). This gave me some very very slight damage where i was prying against the plastic. With the heat and then pry this wont happen. (the adhesive is ridiculous by the way, some very strong stuff (I blame 3M)

Step 1: Heat up device with a hairdryer at the bottom speaker cover, your going to need to get it pretty hot (be careful, your speaker is under that)

Step 2: With device still nice and toasty take a spreader ( i used a guitar pick, but i was thinking a hot razor blade slid under might be more effective)

Step 3: Gently work spreader under speaker cover and work from one end to the other, I used a razor blade to get a gab and then work it off, wasn't to hard since the adhesive is warm and easy to peel off the cover. (be careful, you still have to use that adhesive to put it back on, or use another adhesive)

Step 4: Once bottom speaker cover is off take your spreader and place it between the black part of the housing and the silver part (essentially the phone is placed in a aluminum shell, and you need to get it out).

Step 5: With Spreader placed between the chases gently slide from one end to the other, on the right side by the speaker cover is a white tab, slowly leverage this tab separating the black housing from the silver housing, then pry up from one side to the other tell you get a decent gap.

Step 6: Take your separator and go a side of your phone, doesn't matter which one is done first, just like the previous step, place your spreader between the black housing from the silver, and gently slide from the bottom up, if your doing it right you will hear 3 clicks and that side is separated.

Step 7: Take your spreader and repeat Step 6 on the other side until you hear three clicks.

Step 8: Take spreader back to the bottom and gently pry up pulling the black housing out of the silver Back housing, while doing this you may need another spreader to pry the bottom and then go around the sides to make sure it comes out freely.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2082[1].jpg
Views:	6636
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	2097747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2084[1].jpg
Views:	5596
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	2097748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2086[1].jpg
Views:	5422
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	2097749   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2089.jpg
Views:	5209
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	2097758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2090.jpg
Views:	4978
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	2097759  

Name:	IMAG2094.jpg
Views:	4694
Size:	266.2 KB
ID:	2097760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2095.jpg
Views:	4463
Size:	271.9 KB
ID:	2097761  
Devices: HTC Touch Diamond (SOLD), T-Mobile HTC HD2 (Retired), AT&T HTC Inspire 4G (Retired),AT&T HTC ONE X (Sold), T-Mobile HTC One...

HTC One: Dr. Who Bootanimation w/ Theme Music

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to itzsnookums For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

serialtoon
Old
Thanks Meter 74

DONATE TO ME
Man, excellent photos showing us the goods. What i wanna know is that the heck causes the power button to sink in the way it does. Seems hit and miss with these. Some people get very responsive power buttons, others get mushy clicky feels. Weird.

If i helped in any capacity, hit that THANKS button

Acill
Old
Thanks Meter 13

DONATE TO ME
I couldnt do that to my phone. Were you able to put it back together and have it still look good and function as before?

itzsnookums
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acill View Post
I couldnt do that to my phone. Were you able to put it back together and have it still look good and function as before?
Yes it works just fine, i have been abusing it on purpose, it has yet to screw up, I love this phone. But i have to send it in here soon lol
Devices: HTC Touch Diamond (SOLD), T-Mobile HTC HD2 (Retired), AT&T HTC Inspire 4G (Retired),AT&T HTC ONE X (Sold), T-Mobile HTC One...

rpomponio
Old
Thanks Meter 497
Good job!! By the way you left you jar of weed in the photos, LOL BLAZE ON!!!!!!!!!
***HTC ONE M7 S-OFF***
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rpomponio For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

itzsnookums
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialtoon View Post
Man, excellent photos showing us the goods. What i wanna know is that the heck causes the power button to sink in the way it does. Seems hit and miss with these. Some people get very responsive power buttons, others get mushy clicky feels. Weird.
Here is the power button, it has a black sticker over the top, but the button is just a little piece of plastic that pushes the little button, not much contact area really.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG2098.jpg
Views:	2925
Size:	239.2 KB
ID:	2097785  

The Following User Says Thank You to itzsnookums For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

itzsnookums
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpomponio View Post
Good job!! By the way you left you jar of weed in the photos, LOL BLAZE ON!!!!!!!!!
I live in Washington, i just stopped caring, and apparently noticing the photobomb...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itzsnookums For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

serialtoon
Old
Thanks Meter 74

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzsnookums View Post
Here is the power button, it has a black sticker over the top, but the button is just a little piece of plastic that pushes the little button, not much contact area really.
Iiiiinteresting. I remember when the HTC One X was new, i took that think apart and bent the casing of it and ended up cracking the plastic casing. Made me sad, then i found all the parts on ebay to get it back to "mint" condition. Exciting.

If i helped in any capacity, hit that THANKS button

itzsnookums
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialtoon View Post
Iiiiinteresting. I remember when the HTC One X was new, i took that think apart and bent the casing of it and ended up cracking the plastic casing. Made me sad, then i found all the parts on ebay to get it back to "mint" condition. Exciting.
You know this was easier to take apart then trying to get my dam phone to focus...i hope HTC fixes the autofocus issue......

a box of kittens
Old
Thanks Meter 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzsnookums View Post
I live in Washington, i just stopped caring, and apparently noticing the photobomb...
One day ..one day I'll smoke with you... Introduce you to some cali greens...sure you guys got some great stuff in Washington too
Lizards for lunch
Liverpool fc is the best! Chelsea suck!