[XAP][Source] Webserver v0.4.8 (bugfixes, more Registry types)
New, version Alpha 0.4.8, is now up on Codeplex and available for download here!
This is a minor feature release; registry browsing now shows binary (nicely formatted hex displays, or as numbers for 32- or 64-bit binary fields) and 64-bit integers. There have also been a number of bugfixes; including *MORE* crash bugs and poor error handling in the registry.
For this release, the XAP is published twice; once as a fairly standard XAP that any phone can sideload, the second with many exotic capabilities to enable viewing of slightly more of the file system. This is still not a full root, but it's better than before. The high-capability variant requires not just interop-unlock
, but the additional capability-unlock hack available in the interop-unlock thread (Samsung only so far, still).
An item of note: the AllCapabilities version can open other drives in the file system. On phones with an SD card, it is mounted at D:\ and you can browse it as normal. Credit to @hjc4869
for this discovery!
I am also publishing an update to the NativeAccess libraries, which offer many new features. There is a breaking change in the NativeFileSystem class: all of its functions are now static, as of version 0.4.0 (included here). Adapting code to this change should be easy.
This is a very basic webserver app which can enumerate those files that are in folders readable from the sandbox, can download files, can browse the registry, and can display the value of string, integer, and multistring registry values. It runs on WP8 only. It is a spiritual successor to the Functional Webserver / WebServer (Mango)
projects from WP7. This version is still missing a lot of functionality as I decided to implement it from scratch, but it is advancing swiftly. Note that there's no access controls implemented; use it on a public network only at your own risk!
Instructions are simple: sideload the XAP, connect to WiFi (required), run the app (called "WebServer Native Access"), point a web browser (on a PC or phone that is also on that local network) to the URL that the app displays. You should get a basic index page. Click on a Filesystem or Registry link to begin browsing the phone. There's a textbox near the top of all filesystem pages, type in a path there (for example, "\windows" with no quotes) and hit Enter or click Get Files. You'll see a list of the contents of that folder. Click on a file to download it or a directory to open it. Navigating the registry is similar, except you'll need to specify the registry hive and then the path from that hive (or no path, to access the root of the hive).
Modifications (uploading or editing files, creating, deleting, or changing registry keys or values) are currently not supported. They will be "soon" although my personal testing suggests that basically the whole registry, and most of the file system, is off-limits for writing. Interestingly, I can *read* most of the registry, including stuff that I probably shouldn't be able to.
You might see an error code (error 5 is "ACCESS_DENIED", you'll see it a lot). Or you might see a status 500 message because of an exception in the server. Or the server may just crash. I'm making it more resilient, but there are still bugs. Please report any previously-unreported issues you find, including how to reproduce them, and I'll fix them if possible.
Also feel free to request features or changes; I'll implement them if reasonably possible. The app is a mixture of C++ and C# code; I could probably have done it all in one or the other but wanted to have a C++ component in case I ran into something that wasn't available in C#, and although it probably would have saved some time, I decided that hacking up a web server in C++ was maybe not the best idea.
The source code is on Codeplex, at the following projects: https://wp8webserver.codeplex.com/
for the server and the app (C#) and https://wp8nativeaccess.codeplex.com/
for the native access wrappers (C++). You may have to fix up the reference paths to get the C# component to see the C++ component correctly. The code is reasonably well documented, but let me know if you have any questions. Permission to re-use the code or components is granted under the MS-PL (Microsoft Permissive License) as posted on Codeplex.
Go forth and find cool stuff!
0.2.0: Initial release, FS only, 920 downloads (source: 652 downloads)
0.3.2: initial registry, HTTP server and web app encapsulation, source on Codeplex, 225 downloads
0.3.3: bugfixes, 454 downloads
0.4.2: basic registry values display, 86 downloads
0.4.3: bugfixes, 326 downloads
0.4.6: multistring registry values, bugfixes, updated libraries, first AllCapabilities version (301 downloads), 311 downloads
25 Oct 2013 - 0.4.8: binary and long registry values, formatting and bugfixes