Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,775 Members 40,976 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New Software Update for Verizon GS4

Tip us?

whirledpeaz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default G4 arrived today

New user here. Received my s4 from verizon online today and activated it. Shortly after I had a message that an update was available. I didn't install it and found that I had VRUMDK. I was hoping that it wouldn't already have VRUME7 on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to whirledpeaz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jrodefeld
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm a new user here. I was wanting to root my phone and install custom roms like I did with my old phone (S2), but I did install the latest software update when I received a message on my phone that said one was available.

I haven't read this whole thread, but is it the case that this update blocks the ability to root and install custom roms? Is there a workaround for this? I never anticipated a software update would have this effect.

I did try to root but ODIN repeatedly failed to find my phone. I did find the phone once but it continually failed when I tried to flash things to the phone. I didn't know at the time but is this the result of the software update?

Please let me know. Thanks.

whirledpeaz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default New software update for Verizon GS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld View Post
I'm a new user here. I was wanting to root my phone and install custom roms like I did with my old phone (S2), but I did install the latest software update when I received a message on my phone that said one was available.

I haven't read this whole thread, but is it the case that this update blocks the ability to root and install custom roms? Is there a workaround for this? I never anticipated a software update would have this effect.

I did try to root but ODIN repeatedly failed to find my phone. I did find the phone once but it continually failed when I tried to flash things to the phone. I didn't know at the time but is this the result of the software update?

Please let me know. Thanks.
Yes, for now. But, it is being worked on and the ability to root has been done but no custom roms yet. See this

DraconicSeed
Old
(Last edited by DraconicSeed; 10th August 2013 at 10:35 PM.)
Thanks Meter 18

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
New user here. Received my s4 from verizon online today and activated it. Shortly after I had a message that an update was available. I didn't install it and found that I had VRUMDK. I was hoping that it wouldn't already have VRUME7 on it.
If I'm not mistaken you DO NOT want to update. I think you can still root and custom recover an MDK verision. If you really want the ME7 there are some ME7 based roms out there. I repeat DO NOT UPDATE!!!

And the fact that you received this recently and that it still had MDK gives me hope that maybe the one I purchase in Sep. will have MDK as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to DraconicSeed For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

whirledpeaz
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraconicSeed View Post
If I'm not mistaken you DO NOT want to update. I think you can still root and custom recover an MDK verision. If you really want the ME7 there are some ME7 based roms out there. I repeat DO NOT UPDATE!!!

And the fact that you received this recently and that it still had MDK gives me hope that maybe the one I purchase in Sep. will have MDK as well.
Yes we're on the same page. I was glad it didn't have vruame7.