Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

New Software Update for Verizon GS4

OP shuddle13

10th August 2013, 06:26 AM   |  #551  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
G4 arrived today
New user here. Received my s4 from verizon online today and activated it. Shortly after I had a message that an update was available. I didn't install it and found that I had VRUMDK. I was hoping that it wouldn't already have VRUME7 on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to whirledpeaz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th August 2013, 10:54 AM   |  #552  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
14 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2011
I'm a new user here. I was wanting to root my phone and install custom roms like I did with my old phone (S2), but I did install the latest software update when I received a message on my phone that said one was available.

I haven't read this whole thread, but is it the case that this update blocks the ability to root and install custom roms? Is there a workaround for this? I never anticipated a software update would have this effect.

I did try to root but ODIN repeatedly failed to find my phone. I did find the phone once but it continually failed when I tried to flash things to the phone. I didn't know at the time but is this the result of the software update?


Please let me know. Thanks.
10th August 2013, 11:51 AM   |  #553  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
New software update for Verizon GS4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodefeld

I'm a new user here. I was wanting to root my phone and install custom roms like I did with my old phone (S2), but I did install the latest software update when I received a message on my phone that said one was available.

I haven't read this whole thread, but is it the case that this update blocks the ability to root and install custom roms? Is there a workaround for this? I never anticipated a software update would have this effect.

I did try to root but ODIN repeatedly failed to find my phone. I did find the phone once but it continually failed when I tried to flash things to the phone. I didn't know at the time but is this the result of the software update?


Please let me know. Thanks.

Yes, for now. But, it is being worked on and the ability to root has been done but no custom roms yet. See this
10th August 2013, 11:29 PM   |  #554  
DraconicSeed's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 18
 
100 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Donate to Me
More
Exclamation
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz

New user here. Received my s4 from verizon online today and activated it. Shortly after I had a message that an update was available. I didn't install it and found that I had VRUMDK. I was hoping that it wouldn't already have VRUME7 on it.

If I'm not mistaken you DO NOT want to update. I think you can still root and custom recover an MDK verision. If you really want the ME7 there are some ME7 based roms out there. I repeat DO NOT UPDATE!!!

And the fact that you received this recently and that it still had MDK gives me hope that maybe the one I purchase in Sep. will have MDK as well.
Last edited by DraconicSeed; 10th August 2013 at 11:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DraconicSeed For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th August 2013, 08:36 PM   |  #555  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
9 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
reply
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraconicSeed

If I'm not mistaken you DO NOT want to update. I think you can still root and custom recover an MDK verision. If you really want the ME7 there are some ME7 based roms out there. I repeat DO NOT UPDATE!!!

And the fact that you received this recently and that it still had MDK gives me hope that maybe the one I purchase in Sep. will have MDK as well.

Yes we're on the same page. I was glad it didn't have vruame7.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes