Summary of the SD card ROM backup/update method
While a lot has been written, the following should provide an easy-to-follow guide:
1. A torch (read on and you will know why)
2. 256M SD card
3. Download ntrw.exe, romupdate.exe, hexedfull.exe from the ftp of this forum to c:\ and install hex editor
4. Download the appropriate ROM file (hereafter referred to as "newrom.nb1").
5. Cancel USB in ActiveSync
6. Use Sprite Backup to backup your ppc
Backup original ROM:
1. Put pocket pc into the boot loader mode (hold both on/off and camera buttons at the same time while resetting).
2. Insert empty SD card.
3. Connect pocket pc to pc through USB.
4. Run romupdate.exe on pc.
5. Select “\\.\WCEUSBSH001” in port settings. In the popup windows, enter “d2s” and press enter.
6. Don’t get panic to see the pocket pc screen goes dark. Use your torch and you will see the download percentage. Wait until it reaches 100% and shows “CheckSum is OK!”.
7. Insert SD card into card reader of the pc. Ignore the “format SD card” message and click “No”.
8. Run “command” to go into DOS prompt and change to root directory (cd c:\). Enter “ntrw read oldrom.nb1 s:” where s is the drive of your SD card.
9. Ignore the “Data error <cyclic redundancy check>” message. You should save another copy of this important rom file “oldrom.nb1”.
Change header of newrom.nb1:
1. Right click on oldrom.nb1 to open hex editor. Copy the first 416 bytes.
2. Open the downloaded newrom.nb1 file and overwrite the first 416 bytes with those of the old rom.
3. Save the edited newrom.nb1. You may save another copy of this important file.
4. Go to the command prompt and enter “ntrw write newrom.nb1 s:” to write it to the SD card. Ignore the error message “The parameter is incorrect”.
Update the ROM:
1. Insert SD card into pocket pc and put it to boot loader mode again (on/off + camera + reset). Use you torch to check the dark screen.
2. When it shows “Press Power to flash”, press the on/off button. Wait until it reaches 100% and ignore the message “Download Fail - CheckSum Fail”
3. Soft reset your pocket pc.
4. You may have to reinstall your software, unless you are familiar with the advanced features of Sprite Backup.