Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,085 Members 43,822 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Galaxy S III - SCH-S960L

Tip us?

fordlove
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Samsung Galaxy S III - SCH-S960L

Wondering if the new Straight Talk model SCH-S960L was going to be supported in the Samsung Galaxy S3 ToolKit anytime soon? I just purchased. I also have a SPH-L710 on Sprint that worked great. Too afraid to use the same settings on this new SCH-S960L just yet.

Thanks!
Scott

befrosty8612
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default SlimBean Rom works on SCH-S960L

Not sure if I'm on the same page, but I just flashed the SlimBean rom for the Sprint SIII to my StraightTalk SIII last night and haven't found any issues. Calls, texts, data, etc all are normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlove View Post
Wondering if the new Straight Talk model SCH-S960L was going to be supported in the Samsung Galaxy S3 ToolKit anytime soon? I just purchased. I also have a SPH-L710 on Sprint that worked great. Too afraid to use the same settings on this new SCH-S960L just yet.

Thanks!
Scott

mikey98277
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by befrosty8612 View Post
Not sure if I'm on the same page, but I just flashed the SlimBean rom for the Sprint SIII to my StraightTalk SIII last night and haven't found any issues. Calls, texts, data, etc all are normal.
What did you use to root it? The Sprint ROMs should work since it is a brother of the sprint model with a few tweeks for strait talk. But with the GS2 from strait talk that was a ATT type phone you still had to use a different recovery to get it to work but you could use any of the ROMs..... so any info on how you flashed Slimbean would be great, thanks
If I help you please hit the thanks button!

Phone: Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S III
ROM: STOCK
Radio: STOCK
Recovery: STOCK

Old Phones:
Straight Talk Samsung Galaxy S II (Died)
Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus(Retired)
HTC Inspire 4G(Retired)
Samsung Vibrant (Retired)
Samsung Captivate (Died)
G1 (Retired)

"GOOGLE now controls my entire life...and I'm loving it!!!"

JohnDoe00
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I'm also wondering if the sprint s3 options in the galaxy toolkit are ok to use on sch-s960l...I read that the camera may not function...also I WILL donate to anyone one who can provide step by step, comprehendable instructions to root and flash slim bean with no issues.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using xda app-developers app

befrosty8612
Old
(Last edited by befrosty8612; 16th July 2013 at 01:00 PM.) Reason: Edited post/added QBKing77s video
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey98277 View Post
What did you use to root it? The Sprint ROMs should work since it is a brother of the sprint model with a few tweeks for strait talk. But with the GS2 from strait talk that was a ATT type phone you still had to use a different recovery to get it to work but you could use any of the ROMs..... so any info on how you flashed Slimbean would be great, thanks

This post should work. (QBKing77's video here) All I did was copy SuperUser zip file to the phone, ODIN'd ClockworkMod to the phone, rebooted to CWM, flashed the SuperUser, rebooted and it was rooted. Really not much to it, seemed too easy to me, but it stuck, didn't lose root after reboot.

I did notice some wonky data issues once I flashed SlimBean. My first post was edited to show that it pretty much locked onto whatever tower I was closest to at the time of the flash, so when I was driving around, once I lost connectivity to that tower, I had no data. Still could call but no data. Had to reflash SlimBean to connect to the next tower, but again, lost it since I was still driving around. Back to rooted Stock now.

Lately I've been trying to install CM 10 but they have a check to see if your phone's build.prop file has the SPH-L710 value in it (ro.phonecode or something), and obviously since we don't have sprint phones, ours says SCH-S960L. I edited the build.prop file and put the sprint code in there, but then it said the ro.bootloader value was incorrect. That line isn't even in the StraightTalk's build.prop so I added it, but it still didn't want to flash.

Next step is to edit the ROM itself and remove those checks. Kinda skeptical about that, since they're there for a reason. But, for the sake of research/advancement of mankind, I'm gonna try it anyway.

bossjosh
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Does anyone have the stock apn settings i cant send MMS since i flash to a sprint Rom

allenjthomsen
Old
Thanks Meter 1179

DONATE TO ME
I am working on a deodexed stock rom for our straightalk s3

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda premium
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allenjthomsen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

androidjunkie71
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Does anyone have the 16 digit password for the s960l?

Gameplayer203
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by befrosty8612 View Post
This post should work. (QBKing77's video here) All I did was copy SuperUser zip file to the phone, ODIN'd ClockworkMod to the phone, rebooted to CWM, flashed the SuperUser, rebooted and it was rooted. Really not much to it, seemed too easy to me, but it stuck, didn't lose root after reboot.

I did notice some wonky data issues once I flashed SlimBean. My first post was edited to show that it pretty much locked onto whatever tower I was closest to at the time of the flash, so when I was driving around, once I lost connectivity to that tower, I had no data. Still could call but no data. Had to reflash SlimBean to connect to the next tower, but again, lost it since I was still driving around. Back to rooted Stock now.

Lately I've been trying to install CM 10 but they have a check to see if your phone's build.prop file has the SPH-L710 value in it (ro.phonecode or something), and obviously since we don't have sprint phones, ours says SCH-S960L. I edited the build.prop file and put the sprint code in there, but then it said the ro.bootloader value was incorrect. That line isn't even in the StraightTalk's build.prop so I added it, but it still didn't want to flash.

Next step is to edit the ROM itself and remove those checks. Kinda skeptical about that, since they're there for a reason. But, for the sake of research/advancement of mankind, I'm gonna try it anyway.
You can edit the assert prop in the updater script of any d2spr rom. I personally use root browser from the rom toolbox from jrummy. Extract the rom, then go to META-INF>com>google>android>updater script. Open the script as an editable text document. You will see the ro.bootloader lines. Simply take out those lines, or modify them for your specific bootloader. If you downloaded the official update when you activated your phone, it will more than likely be S960LWYAMD6. Save it, then simply rezip everything, and flash. That's it. Just remember it's probably not a good idea to try this with any rom that includes bootloader or modem updates. But you SHOULD be fine with anything cyanogen-based. It's worked flawlessly for me but all phones are different, so use cation and always flash at your own risk.... Well, hope this helps some people out there. I've been having this same issue for a while and couldn't find anything that helped, until I got bored one day and just started messing around with random stuff. Haha. Happy flashing

mattwarr
Old
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Default I just need to root this damn phone...

I simply want to root my SCH-S960L. That seems to be way too much to ask on XDA...