Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,399 Members 52,299 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ODIN][Radio] I545VRUAME7

Tip us?

arcanexvi
Old
(Last edited by arcanexvi; 17th July 2013 at 03:06 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 296
Default [ODIN][Radio] I545VRUAME7

Usual warnings: I'm not responsible for what you do to your phone blah blah blah

I yanked the radio out and flashed it via ODIN from the update that's been floating around for those that want to play with it. Flashed it on mine and doesn't seem to have caused any issues (at least on CM). After a day's worth of testing I am noticing that I do get better reception in areas that are trouble areas for me normally.

Note: CM didn't like the new DSP in the NON-HLOS.bin and gave me no audio. I reverted back to just using the new modem.bin file for now and the revert file here can be used if needed. This will restore you to the old HLOS and modem. Just flash the modem.bin below by itself without the HLOS file if you just want the radio updates.I have removed the HLOS file and instructions for the time being until developers update ROMs to be compatible. Using the updated modem is fine by itself.

- Download File

- Flash modem.bin in ODIN under PHONE and wait for PASS! (ODIN did seem to hang for a moment while the phone processed. Don't panic)

- Reboot (if you didn't have it set to do so in ODIN)

- Profit?

Post your results/findings to help other users

Note: If your phone has rebooted and hasn't cleared "reset" into "pass" in ODIN it's not the end of the world. As long as it was successful flashing (lower left corner of ODIN) and is currently booted into android after reboot, you're fine.

Updated Radio: http://www.mediafire.com/?jm2d34gb88jx32m
Revert File: http://www.mediafire.com/?242ruwpbqtcssd0

MD5 of updated Radio: 168FB171A19362678B73409C90F0DD61
MD5 of Revert package: 7232DCCB4C00A940B24B8FB1163D7FF0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-07-10-02-33-47[1].jpg
Views:	8070
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	2105597  
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to arcanexvi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tada10
Old
Thanks Meter 134
Can you try the apps2sd or hdr video?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

arcanexvi
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 296
That would require coding rather than just pulling files. As I haven't coded since the Thunderbolt era... I'll leave that to the guys that know what they're doing. Cameras in particular are always a pain in the ass.

scottusa2008
Old
(Last edited by scottusa2008; 10th July 2013 at 10:05 AM.) Reason: Been a while since I flashed radios onto a phone - found the modem.bin within my MDK recovery image
Thanks Meter 19
I am willing to give this a shot since you mentioned it helped with your signal in your apt. In my case my location is kinda problematic because of how close it is to Verizon's home network, but I am physically located within the extended network. So in my apartment my signal fluctuates quite a bit, and more so depending on which room I am in (my living room must be close enough to get the home network, but my bedroom is just outside of it's reach).

**Just got done and here's the results - I was able to flash the modem.bin you posted on my stock rooted phone and right off the bat things seem to be better signal wise. After rebooting the phone there were no issues that I can see or find, everything seems to be functioning correctly. Phone calls seem to sound a little better (I have no idea if it's a fluke because of the hour or the new radio), and data hasn't been impacted at all.

I also noticed a small improvement in the signal strength readings, but I will keep monitoring it to make sure it's not a random fluke.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to scottusa2008 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vacaloca
Old
(Last edited by vacaloca; 10th July 2013 at 02:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 89
According to this thread over on the GSM side, one should be able to flash NON-HLOS.bin the same way:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2192025

As I understand, this is also a modem file -- the counterpart to modem.bin, but I am unclear as exactly what functionality is embedded in this image.

Edit 1: Looking at the text strings in the NON-NLOS.bin file, there are a lot of references to voice filters, gain, pitch, speech, agc, etc, and even "European digital cellular telecommunications system 4750 ... 12200 bits/s speech codec for Adaptive Multi-Rate speech traffic channels". Seems like this file is mostly vocoder-related stuff.

Edit 2: Google led to this: http://www.anyclub.org/2012/06/acdb-...se-images.html
It mentions that if "If any of MPSS, DSPS, WCNSS, or LPASS is recompiled" NON-HLOS.bin should be "updated". DSP - digital signal processor, WCNSS = "Wireless ConNectivity SubSystem (WCNSS) driver. The WCNSS is a new Hardware integrating WLAN, BT and FM technologies that is built into new MSM chip." I can't definitions for MPSS and LPASS, but MPSS is mentioned in some Qualcomm job listings relating to Modem Test Technicians/Engineers, so it seems logical that these two files should go together, but given some have had hard bricks when flashing other parts of the firmware, I'd be cautious.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vacaloca For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

theresin
Old
Thanks Meter 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanexvi View Post
Usual warnings: I'm not responsible for what you do to your phone blah blah blah

I yanked the radio out and flashed it via ODIN from the update that's been floating around for those that want to play with it. Flashed it on mine and doesn't seem to have caused any issues (at least on CM). Don't ask if it's better or not. I literally just tested to see if it would work and not brick and that's the extent of what I've done so far other than sending a text and making a phone call to make sure everything's good.

Download File
Flash modem.bin in in ODIN under PHONE and wait for PASS! (ODIN did seem to hang for a moment while the phone processed. Don't panic)
Reboot (if you didn't have it set to do so in ODIN)
Profit?

My mega account is free so I'm not sure how much bandwidth they'll give me but here you go til it blows up :P

Post your results/findings to help other users

https://mega.co.nz/#!ikAlTJDI!A6sRNR...cZcgWITJw5lQIU

Just flashed it, will give results in the morning (or afternoon, depending on where you're at).

You weren't kidding about Odin pausing up for a bit .. the phone had reset and was already running for about a minute before Odin changed to "PASS" ... so hopefully everyone is patient!

an21281
Old
Thanks Meter 58
Thanks for this!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

chewwy420
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacaloca View Post
According to this thread over on the GSM side, one should be able to flash NON-HLOS.bin the same way:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2192025

As I understand, this is also a modem file -- the counterpart to modem.bin, but I am unclear as exactly what functionality is embedded in this image.

Edit 1: Looking at the text strings in the NON-NLOS.bin file, there are a lot of references to voice filters, gain, pitch, speech, agc, etc, and even "European digital cellular telecommunications system 4750 ... 12200 bits/s speech codec for Adaptive Multi-Rate speech traffic channels". Seems like this file is mostly vocoder-related stuff.

Edit 2: Google led to this: http://www.anyclub.org/2012/06/acdb-...se-images.html
It mentions that if "If any of MPSS, DSPS, WCNSS, or LPASS is recompiled" NON-HLOS.bin should be "updated". DSP - digital signal processor, WCNSS = "Wireless ConNectivity SubSystem (WCNSS) driver. The WCNSS is a new Hardware integrating WLAN, BT and FM technologies that is built into new MSM chip." I can't definitions for MPSS and LPASS, but MPSS is mentioned in some Qualcomm job listings relating to Modem Test Technicians/Engineers, so it seems logical that these two files should go together, but given some have had hard bricks when flashing other parts of the firmware, I'd be cautious.
I flashed the Modem.bin and NON-HLOS.bin and all seems to be good so far...
The Following User Says Thank You to chewwy420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

paulg1981
Old
Thanks Meter 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewwy420 View Post
I flashed the Modem.bin and NON-HLOS.bin and all seems to be good so far...
I am only seeing the modem.bin file, where did you get the NON-HLOs.bin?

chewwy420
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulg1981 View Post
I am only seeing the modem.bin file, where did you get the NON-HLOs.bin?
I extracted it from the factory image.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul5a02jo3flwv26/NON-HLOS.bin

The Following User Says Thank You to chewwy420 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]