5,599,033 Members 32,133 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[RECOVERY][ROOT] Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195)

Tip us?

arco68
Old
(Last edited by arco68; 11th April 2014 at 05:01 AM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 18049

DONATE TO ME
Prompt [RECOVERY][ROOT] Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195)

WARNING! ONLY USE THIS ON THE GT-I9195 MODEL!

Hello all S4 Mini owners!

I'm happy to finally release ClockworkMod recovery and an insecure kernel for the GT-I9195. With these two installed on your device, obtaining root is easy.

Attached to this post is the necessary files needed for this task. Download the following files:
  • Odin_v3.09.zip (if you don't have it already)
  • recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.6-serranoltexx.tar.zip
  • S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip (contains SuperSU v1.89 and BusyBox v1.21.1)
Extract recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.6-serranoltexx.tar.zip file to your computer.

The procedure is as:
  1. Copy the " S4Mini_RootKit_v2.zip" to your device SD card.
  2. Turn off the phone.
  3. Press and hold home, volume down and power. Download screen should appear.
  4. Connect USB cable, and press volume up.
  5. Start Odin, uncheck "F. Reset Time", and then click AP button.
  6. Select "recovery-clockwork-6.0.4.6-serranoltexx.tar.md5" file that you previously extracted, and press Start button. The phone will reboot when finished.
  7. After the phone resets (it vibrates) IMMEDIATELY hold volume up and home buttons to boot into recovery mode.
  8. Select the option to install the ZIP file you have previously copied to your device and begin flashing it.
  9. After flashing using CWM, reboot into system and enjoy your rooted device.
  10. Optional: Flash GT-I9195_Kernel_v1.zip to use a custom stock kernel, which might fix battery drain for some.
    Kernel changelog: https://github.com/arco/android_kern.../commits/stock
If you get warnings about applications doing not permitted actions, delete the following files from system/app, or let SuperSU fix it for you.
  • KNOXAgent.apk
  • KNOXStore.apk
  • ContainerAgent.apk
Haters gonna hate

~$ git revert
746865696e7465726e6574

GitHub
The Following 220 Users Say Thank You to arco68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zorg2000k
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by arco68 View Post

I'm happy to finally release ClockworkMod recovery and an insecure kernel for the GT-I9195. With these two installed on your device, obtaining root is easy.

Attached to this post is the necessary files needed for this task. Download and extract them into the same folder. The procedure is as follows:
  1. Turn off the phone.
  2. Press and hold home, volume down and power. Download screen should appear.
  3. Connect USB cable, and press volume up.
  4. Start Odin, uncheck "F. Reset Time", and then click PDA button.
  5. Select "GT-I9195_MF5_870901_kernel.tar.md5" file, and press Start button. The phone will reboot when finished.
  6. After boot is finished, power off your phone and repeat step 2 and 3.
  7. In Odin, select "recovery-clockwork-6.0.3.3-serranoltexx.tar.md5", and press Start button.
  8. After boot is finished, power off your phone.
  9. Press and hold home, volume up and power. Phone will boot into recovery. When you exit recovery, it will ask if you want to root the device. Select yes.
  10. All you need to do now, is to download the Superuser app from the Play Store, and you're set!
Worked a charm, many thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to zorg2000k For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SGWUser
Old
Thanks Meter 330
Arne, great work again!

[OFF-TOPIC] What do you think about releasing a second CM9/CM10 EOL for our old Galaxy W to include the MasterKey exploit patches? I don't think it's a good idea to leave us with security risks [/OFF-TOPIC]

Just continue doing great work, I wish you the best luck porting CM10.1 to the Galaxy S4 Mini!
Nexus 5 "hammerhead"

ROM: Stock 4.4.2
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: franco.Kernel
Mods: Xposed/MultiROM

Galaxy W "ancora"

ROM: CM10.1
Recovery: CWM
Kernel: Stock
Mods: -

Other devices // Links

first-gen Nexus 7 32GB "grouper" (sold)
Google+: http://goo.gl/miOCRs
Twitter: http://goo.gl/1u5c4U
Reddit: http://goo.gl/lY7JIh

charliebigpot
Old
Thanks Meter 211
Quote:

Quick question before I root it, what do you mean by "insecure"? Certainly not shy, but as in unstable or as in unsafe?
... and if this post was useful feel free to press the "thanks" button
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Following User Says Thank You to charliebigpot For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

SGWUser
Old
(Last edited by SGWUser; 15th July 2013 at 07:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliebigpot View Post
Quick question before I root it, what do you mean by "insecure"? Certainly not shy, but as in unstable or as in unsafe?
Insecure is needed for rooting, not unsafe or unstable. As far as I know, it removes some security-thingies added by Samsung. For normal use, this shouldn't make a difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong please
Nexus 5 "hammerhead"

ROM: Stock 4.4.2
Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: franco.Kernel
Mods: Xposed/MultiROM

Galaxy W "ancora"

ROM: CM10.1
Recovery: CWM
Kernel: Stock
Mods: -

Other devices // Links

first-gen Nexus 7 32GB "grouper" (sold)
Google+: http://goo.gl/miOCRs
Twitter: http://goo.gl/1u5c4U
Reddit: http://goo.gl/lY7JIh
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SGWUser For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

arco68
Old
Thanks Meter 18049

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGWUser View Post
[OFF-TOPIC] What do you think about releasing a second CM9/CM10 EOL for our old Galaxy W to include the MasterKey exploit patches? I don't think it's a good idea to leave us with security risks [/OFF-TOPIC]
Yes, there will be new releases of that soon. But keep that discussion to the Galaxy W forums.

Quote:
An insecure kernel has disabled the root prevention checks that Samsung added. Other than that it's the same as stock kernel. Although in this kernel I also made two minor changes to allow apps to read the kernel log and the full logcat.
Haters gonna hate

~$ git revert
746865696e7465726e6574

GitHub
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to arco68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

charliebigpot
Old
Thanks Meter 211
Quote:
Yes, there will be new releases of that soon. But keep that discussion to the Galaxy W forums.

An insecure kernel has disabled the root prevention checks that Samsung added. Other than that it's the same as stock kernel. Although in this kernel I also made two minor changes to allow apps to read the kernel log and the full logcat.
Great, thanks. One last noobie-like question - is this procedure going to delete what I have on the phone right now?
... and if this post was useful feel free to press the "thanks" button
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

arco68
Old
Thanks Meter 18049

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Great, thanks. One last noobie-like question - is this procedure going to delete what I have on the phone right now?
No, all your stuff will still be there.
Haters gonna hate

~$ git revert
746865696e7465726e6574

GitHub
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to arco68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cheatman
Old
Thanks Meter 1942

DONATE TO ME
Thanks for the effort! I'm building a similar package for the I9192 (the dual sim variant, a.k.a "serranods") and I was wondering if you made any serious changes to the kernel except the usual ramdisk rooting changes (ro.secure, adbd binary, su binary etc.)

I'm going to release an insecured kernel based on the dual sim stock kernel, but I'm probably going to reuse the recovery. I expect the two platforms to be very similar in terms of recovery support (drivers, libraries, recovery kernel, partition layout etc.) and I know you can't make any implicit or explicit claims that the recovery won't brick any another model or variant than the one you made the release for. However, I expect no issues whatsoever as the hardware is identical except the modem, so I'll let you guys know.

Cheers,
C.
XPERTR - The experts database
Galaxy S Duos (GT-S7562) - Ice Cream Sandwich KyleOPEN ROM
-------------------------------------------------------------------
GT-S7562 / GT-P1000 / GT-P5100
Qtek 9100 | Nokia N97 | Nokia X1-01
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheatman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

afterglow
Old
Thanks Meter 6
great staff arco!
ill give it a go when i have my mini within the next month.
i cant understand why dont xda do a sub section for s4 mini.....i dont even know which forum to look for s4 mini...

The Following User Says Thank You to afterglow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
galaxy s4 mini, gt-i9195, recovery, root