Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,915 Members 44,690 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROOT] $99 Walmart Nextbook 8 (NX008HD8G)

Tip us?
 
Ron Overdrive
Old
#1  
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 41
Posts: 256
Join Date: Feb 2009
Default [ROOT] $99 Walmart Nextbook 8 (NX008HD8G)

The Nextbook 8 (NX008HD8G) is a $99 tablet available from Walmart. It sports a AMLogic AML8726-MX SoC (1.5Ghz dualcore Cortex-A9 w/400mhz dualcore Malli400 GPU), 1 Gb of DDR3 RAM, 8" display, and 8Gb internal storage. Its a nice little budget tablet for those who don't need a Nexus 7 or greater performance rated tablet. Not too long ago I discovered how to root it and apparently I'm the first to do it as far as I can tell. Now here's how.

What you will need is Bin4ary's One Touch Root App. This app will get you only partial root via the ADB Shell. My guess is the ADB exploit he uses does work to get basic root access for ADB, but some incompatibility prevents proper installation of su & SuperUser.apk. What we're going to do is finish the job manually.

First run Bin4ary's app and use the Normal Method. Be sure to ignore all errors. After your tablet reboots move su and Superuser.apk from Bin4ry's app folder to the root of the Internal SDCard. Next you will need ADB. If you don't have it you can get it either from Bin4ary's app folder you found su & superuser.apk in or you can install the Android SDK. At the command prompt enter the following:

Code:
Select Code
adb shell
su
At this point you should see a # sign indicating root privileges. If you do enter the following commands.

Code:
Select Code
mv /system/xbin/su /system/xbin/osu
cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
The use Astro or your favorite file manager to navigate to /sdcard and install SuperUser.apk then reboot your tablet. From here on you should have full root on your tablet. Credit should definitely goto Bin4ry for his work on his One Touch Root App for getting us half way there.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ron Overdrive For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
shaunmt
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default Confirmed Working

Confirmed. Works as described.

Nice work!
 
cabrera_drt
Old
#3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 11
Join Date: Jun 2009
Thank you for this information, works excellent.
 
miroxz
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 23
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Overdrive View Post
The Nextbook 8 (NX008HD8G) is a $99 tablet available from Walmart. It sports a AMLogic AML8726-MX SoC (1.5Ghz dualcore Cortex-A9 w/400mhz dualcore Malli400 GPU), 1 Gb of DDR3 RAM, 8" display, and 8Gb internal storage. Its a nice little budget tablet for those who don't need a Nexus 7 or greater performance rated tablet. Not too long ago I discovered how to root it and apparently I'm the first to do it as far as I can tell. Now here's how.

What you will need is Bin4ary's One Touch Root App. This app will get you only partial root via the ADB Shell. My guess is the ADB exploit he uses does work to get basic root access for ADB, but some incompatibility prevents proper installation of su & SuperUser.apk. What we're going to do is finish the job manually.

First run Bin4ary's app and use the Normal Method. Be sure to ignore all errors. After your tablet reboots move su and Superuser.apk from Bin4ry's app folder to the root of the Internal SDCard. Next you will need ADB. If you don't have it you can get it either from Bin4ary's app folder you found su & superuser.apk in or you can install the Android SDK. At the command prompt enter the following:

Code:
Select Code
adb shell
su
At this point you should see a # sign indicating root privileges. If you do enter the following commands.

Code:
Select Code
mv /system/xbin/su /system/xbin/osu
cp /sdcard/su /system/xbin
chmod 6755 /system/xbin/su
The use Astro or your favorite file manager to navigate to /sdcard and install SuperUser.apk then reboot your tablet. From here on you should have full root on your tablet. Credit should definitely goto Bin4ry for his work on his One Touch Root App for getting us half way there.

Did NOT work for me.
1-On first attempt, got pound sign....tried to push code resulting in cant find SD
2-On second attempts, would not let me be superuser su
3-Did a factory reset....same results as (2)

Im stomped!....please help
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miroxz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
shaunmt
Old
(Last edited by shaunmt; 17th October 2013 at 08:09 PM.)
#5  
Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 37
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default Amlogic Next8HD8G (NX008HD8G) Modified Recovery - Stock Rom - Root & Gapps

Modified recovery, stock rom, flashable root and flashable Gapps here: http://www.freaktab.com/showthread.p...Flashable-Root

ShaunMT
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaunmt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
zenkillizen
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jun 2009
Thumbs up Confirmed as well..

Ty... no fusses at all..
 
andrew09
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 20
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkillizen View Post
Ty... no fusses at all..
I need someone to be more clear on rooting this device because I already bricked one using the method from tab freaks instructions aren't that clear and I don't want to brick another one ! Please thanks
 
caspboy
Old
#8  
caspboy's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 961
Posts: 566
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Charlotte, Nc
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew09 View Post
I need someone to be more clear on rooting this device because I already bricked one using the method from tab freaks instructions aren't that clear and I don't want to brick another one ! Please thanks
this guide is like the clearest root guide I've seen Just sit down and read it, take your time Rooting my seem hard at first, but you catch on
 
andrew09
Old
#9  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 20
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aiko0923 View Post
this guide is like the clearest root guide I've seen Just sit down and read it, take your time Rooting my seem hard at first, but you catch on
Parts are missing from the guide like how to install the adb drivers the computer needs to recognise the tablet first before u try and root it I have read through it and I've already bricked one also I noticed if you go to recovery on this tablet it erases the system and factory reset doesn't fix anything there's no factory ROMs or anything to fix it if it messes up. If someone can't a sure me that the method is correct I'll do it I'll try it.
 
tnjeffw
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 17
Join Date: Jun 2007
Does this method work on the newer models say model number starting with YFG12 and up?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes