Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,397 Members 47,670 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[V4A][IRS] Headphone correction filters (latest update: challenge vs $999 UERM)

Tip us?

Joe0Bloggs
Old
(Last edited by Joe0Bloggs; 25th April 2014 at 06:26 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 854
Audio [V4A][IRS] Headphone correction filters (latest update: challenge vs $999 UERM)

Latest news: Headphone correction filters to go on challenge against $999 Ultimate Ears Reference Monitors?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/672716/the-...#post_10488960
Stay tuned for release of HiFi DDC IRSes on steroids for select earphone models!
Join the challenge tour?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...&postcount=803

-----------
Hi, this thread will be a repository for the correction filters for various models of headphones that I created for Viper4Android
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2191223

These correction filters are compiled from interpreting measurement graphs of headphones at various review sites and adjust the audio quality of the headphones towards a reference-grade sound.

These are correction filters not simulation filters<--click for more info

From the dropbox link below, choose the irs file with name corresponding to your model of earphone and copy it to <storage>/ViPER4Android/Kernel/ on your device.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vbnj47jcn...GoCSHIuTWm?lst
(also included are .e-q files that can be used with Electri-Q (a VST plugin) on the PC: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1yw2w8ahu...29_Install.exe)

Currently included earphone models in alphabetical order (will be updated regularly)
Unlabelled old impulses are 44100Hz only, please leave requests if you would like a 48000Hz impulse
Sleeper4Android S4A-01 (first donors only special) (located in Sleeper4Android project folder)
AKG K450
Apple earbuds
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Audio-Technica ATH-SJ33
Audio-Technica ATH-SJ55
Beats by Dr. Dre Mixr
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm
Brainwavz B2
Bose IE2
Etymotic ER-4P (medium insertion depth--not-quite-deep insertion)
Hifiman RE-400
JVC FX3X
JVC FXT90
Klipsch S4
Koss Portapro
LG HBS-730 (48kHz only) (contribution by geeserver)
Monoprice 8320
Philips SHE3580/3590/3595/3500
Philips SHE8000/8005
Panasonic RP-HJE120
Pioneer HDJ500
Samsung S4 stock IEMs
Sennheiser CX300-II
Sennheiser HD25-1-II
Sennheiser HD280pro
Sennheiser HD439
Sennheiser HD518
Sennheiser IE80
Sennheiser IE800
Sennheiser MX360
Sennheiser MX580
Sennheiser PX100-I
Sennheiser PX100-II
Shure SE215
Shure SE315
Shure SE425
Shure SE535
Skullcandy 50/50
Sony MDR-1R
Sony MDR-1RNC (noise cancellation mode on)
Sony MDR-E9LP
Sony MDR-EX10LP
Sony MDR-ZX100
Sony MH1(C)
Sony XB90EX (with two presets, "bassy" has a subbass boost (relative to reference) while "maxxbass" has both subbass and midbass boost (relative to reference)
Sony XBA-1
Sony XBA-H1
Soul by Ludacris SL99
TDK BA200
V-Moda M-80
V-Moda M-100
Velodyne Vpulse
VSonic GR07MkII
VSonic VSD1
VSonic VSD1S
Ultimate Ears TF10
Ultimate Ears UE100
Ultimate Ears UE200
Ultimate Ears UE600
Ultimate Ears UE900
Ultimate Ears UE4000
Westone 3
Westone 4R

Latest addition: Philips SHE8000/8005 (20 April 2014)

You may leave requests for your model of earphones to be added to the collection Please check for the availability of frequency response curves on at least one of the following websites:
en.goldenears.net
www.innerfidelity.com
rinchoi.blogspot.com
www.headphone.com

When requesting, please leave some comment on your opinion of the stock sound of the earphones without effects running, so I can fine tune the IRS to your taste. (the IRS will always adjust towards reference sound so is suitable for everyone with the model of earphone but will be a bit fine tuned to the taste of the one who first requests them) Opinions on the frequency balance (e.g. too midbassy? Too cold (sucked out lower mids) / warm (opposite)? Treble too sharp?) will be particularly helpful.

Also, if requesting for the first time, please leave your requests in this thread instead of pm, so people can see that a request for a certain model has been put out (they may even upvote and thank your request ) and when it was made. I can't promise to take all requests or take them in order but I do try

Donations policy

I am much busier these days than when I started this thread, with what feels what is going to be two full-time jobs
The waiting list goes like this:
1. Donations given up-front (will need to fall head-over-heels to get yours done But not really recommended as I may not actually be able to make an IRS for the phones you ask for )
2. A pledge for a donation of a specified amount
3. A pledge for a donation of an unspecified amount (but really this should be enough to put you in front of the line, as donors are so few and far between )
4. The usual applications...

If you do pledge or make a donation please pm me as well as posting in the thread so I would know about it more quickly and get the IRS done

Request "queuing" policy for non-donors

As I fall further behind the queue I am afraid that by the time I fulfil a request, many of the people who requested the irs will have already forgotten about it. Also, each time it takes me considerable effort to find the next person in the queue whose request I can fulfil. So instead of a queue, I will simply take the latest request that can be fulfilled when I have time to make an IRS. Those who have been skipped may contact me again to re-express their interest in obtaining an IRS as many times as you want, but please do so through pm to avoid cluttering this thread Of course, a donation would be a sure way to get an IRS done

If you want your headphones profiled quickly, you may consider making a donation or try making your own irs
How to combine my headphone correction IRS together with other IRS (such as special effects, bass boost, reverb etc. found on other threads)
Headphone correction IRS for Viper4Android

To donate to the Sleeper4Android project, log in to paypal and send money to jm_superjoe@hotmail.com (Joseph Yeung) (donate to me button doesn't work in Hong Kong) and include your xda username in the "subject" of the paypal purchase. Thank you for your support!
The Following 119 Users Say Thank You to Joe0Bloggs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Joe0Bloggs
Old
(Last edited by Joe0Bloggs; 24th July 2013 at 03:10 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 854
Please note that:
Most other IRS files found elsewhere simulate the effect of the labelled item. ie. using HTC One X BeatsAudio.irs your phone will sound like plugging headsets into a HTC One X with BeatsAudio on.

The IRS files found in this thread do NOT do this. What they do is correct for the deviation of the labelled headset from a reference target frequency response. Sort of the "opposite" of what the headphones sound like, actually, so that when the IRS is applied and use the labelled headphone to listen to music the sound should be close to a "reference standard". You can then apply other effects in V4A to the "standard" sound, such as field surround and reverb, and the effects should sound better than before, or you could try using just the convolver and get something like the sound audiophiles shoot for with expensive neutral headphones.

If you don't have any of the headphones listed in the thread, you can still download and try the irs, but again, they do NOT *simulate* the labelled headphones. Instead, if you hit on the irs of a headphone that has similar sound to yours, you may get a good effect.

To donate to the Sleeper4Android project, log in to paypal and send money to jm_superjoe@hotmail.com (Joseph Yeung) (donate to me button doesn't work in Hong Kong) and include your xda username in the "subject" of the paypal purchase. Thank you for your support!
The Following 26 Users Say Thank You to Joe0Bloggs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Joe0Bloggs
Old
(Last edited by Joe0Bloggs; 6th August 2013 at 03:06 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 854
Other headphone specific tuning settings shared by others:
bobdoblo's settings for the Soundmagic E10

Regarding donations and gifts:
These IRS files take time to create and any donation you make would be greatly appreciated However, donate by paypal does not work for the Asia-Pacific area I'm in (I live in Hong Kong). Thus the "donate to me" button doesn't work. You can however send donations to me in the form of paypal payments directly to jm_superjoe@hotmail.com

Anyone who donates to my account will get expedited headphone irs creation as a matter of course but if you donate $10 or more, you will receive:
1. Refit service: based on your description of the sound I can continue to tweak the IRS to tailor it specifically to your ears, including customizing resonance peak compensation according to your reports from playing with Sinegen and other tools I will talk about
2. (S4A-01 offer (now out of stock))

A special pair of IEMs that come with their own IRS profile out of stock due to QC problems with the supplier; only phones that checked out ok will be shipped out. Only 7 out of 20 checked ok

^ Previous model of gift IEMs with IRS included: Sleeper4Android S4A-01
Blurb on S4A-01 ("sold" out)

These IEMs sound wonderful with IRS applied and are an abomination to conventional wisdom in hi-fi that have 100% geek appeal and will turn the world upside down for any audiophile who was closed-minded about digital effects for music listening if they give these a listen, with and then without their custom IRS Basically, I have found a way to profile a pair of headphones without the $$$$$ dummy-head-with-in-ear-microphone and will be applying it to no-name cheap IEMs that have atrocious stock sound but show potential behind their warped frequency response

Pros and cons of the S4A-01

Limitations of the S4A-01
-dollar-store build: while I think the housing itself looks pretty good, the cable and the damping material over the nozzle leaves something to be desired, shall we say But it's sonically a good thing that there's damping at all over the nozzle
-no packaging or accessories: to save on shipping, I shall be putting these directly in envelopes and mailing them as air mail. As far as I know they only come with the one pair of tips shown, so if these don't fit, you have to find something that does.
-isolation and microphonics: as shown in the picture, they are semi-open at the back, and do not isolate outside noises that well. I use a shirt clip with them and microphonics is manageable, but probably above average.
-supported devices only: I'll post EQ and convolver settings for use with the S4A-01 on computers, but you better make sure you are running a computer player (such as foobar2000) or an android with V4A or other supported software if you want to listen to them seriously

Advantages of S4A-01:
-Audiophile WTF-factor: the sound difference before and after applying the V4A is just unreal. The corrected sound is not just "good for a dollar store earphone", but "good", period.
-More Audiophile WTF-factor: with V4A running, the S4A-01 will sound great while practically any other phone plugged into your android will sound atrocious. If you play a song someone is not familiar with, he may conclude that his $$$ pair of phones is having a really bad day and look at them in dismay
-Even more audiophile WTF-factor: for additional WTF-ness, my demo pair of S4A-01 was wired wrong so that the left and right buds are out of phase with each other. This is corrected for in the S4A-01i irs profile. If you're so lucky as to get a phase-inverted pair just like me and load this profile, every other phone plugged into your android will sound plain broken
-potential for improvement: though I've profiled these phones with my own ears using my patent-pending "human spectrum analyzer(tm)", I plan to ship a few pairs of these to Rin Choi, famous headphone reviewer and critic, to measure using real equipment. If and when he posts the results for these phones, I can tune them to the best new Olive-Welti sound tuning curve out there and they may sound even better than they do now

I know this is purely anecdotal to you guys who weren't there, but I prepared these gems at a big headphone meet in Shenzhen, China and representatives from two different audio companies pegged these things at over RMB1000 (around 160USD) in value Which may not sound like much, but they assumed these would be Chinese-made sets selling in China, which gets a substantial markdown compared to overseas sale. And if you knew how much I actually got them for... well me being able to mail them to you for $10 should clue you in to that

3. You get to choose a <$10 IEM in your possession (or that you intend to buy) to be IRS profiled, whether or not measurements are available for the model. I will buy and "measure" the model as soon as I gather enough funds from donations (and have some money left over as actual donations that I can pocket Alternatively, you can arrange to have your IEMs (IEMs only please; shipping costs for any other kind is too expensive) shipped to me to be analyzed.

This is the Sleeper4Android project: to get terrific sound out of terribly cheap IEMs

Currently planned list of <$10 IEMs:
Philips SHE3580/3590/3595/3500 (IRS already available; 3595 has mic and one button remote)
Panasonic RP-HJE120 (HJC120 should be the same thing with mic and 3 button remote)
Awei ES-Q3 / Q3i (with mic)
-further models can be added to the list with the help of donations, donors can specify models already in their possession or that they plan to buy

List of donors S4A-01 was shipped out to (shipped on 2 August)
Calvo1
cobhc
gdeal
krispuniq
iken2010

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to Joe0Bloggs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dark_knight35
Old
Thanks Meter 997
Could you do one for the Bose IE2's, please?

Joe0Bloggs
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_knight35 View Post
Could you do one for the Bose IE2's, please?
Yes, data for that model is available What do you like / not like about the sound without effects enabled? I ask this as a reference for when building the new IRS.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Joe0Bloggs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

l3enjamin
Old
Thanks Meter 7
but the phone's output is also not perfect, you need to calibrate that too...
LG G2 D802 Mahdi-Rom
Nexus 7 Paranoid Android

edward6790
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Pardon me
but where exactly do we put the .irs file?
Pokemon and stuff

dc4
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward6790 View Post
Pardon me
but where exactly do we put the .irs file?
3rd paragraph of the op.

Sent from my HTC One using xda premium

dark_knight35
Old
Thanks Meter 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe0Bloggs View Post
Yes, data for that model is available What do you like / not like about the sound without effects enabled? I ask this as a reference for when building the new IRS.
Great! The heights are a bit too quiet, and the very deep bass (sub-bass or whatever) should be some louder. The rest is okay (I never used better in-ears, so can't really say what should be different ).

Joe0Bloggs
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_knight35 View Post
Great! The heights are a bit too quiet, and the very deep bass (sub-bass or whatever) should be some louder. The rest is okay (I never used better in-ears, so can't really say what should be different ).
Bose IE2 added to dropbox folder.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vbnj47jcn...GoCSHIuTWm?lst

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Joe0Bloggs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
headphones, irs, viper4android