For Those Who Semi-Bricked Their Nexus 7 0MB Interal Storage

27th July 2013, 04:08 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 73

89 posts
Hopefully this helps people in my situation.

So on the first day of having my nexus 7 i found a way to have no OS and 0MB internal storage showing in TWRP. Yah i suck.
I tried tons of things but knew a system image was needed.

HOW: I was about to flash the superuser root for 4.3 newly released and forgot to put it on nexus so i then proceeded to exit TWRP, however upon exiting TWRP the recovery detected i havent installed supersu and asked do i want to install superuser? I though why the hell not!
I confirmed to install superuser and then tried to reboot but for 20 minutes device could not boot. TWRP showed 0MB internal storage and pushing adb files in this state yielded nothing as there was no directory

This is how i managed to have a working tablet again

1. FORMAT DATA in TWRP - after doing this your internal storage should be back and not show 0MB

2. reboot to the bootloader

3. On your computer download this file kindly given to us by phuduong and uploaded by Nburnes

https://mega.co.nz/#!PBIiEbBJ!bKpdHx...NLLQab1IZjLIGc
Credit to Nburnes http://forum.xda-developers.com/member.php?u=2918596[/QUOTE]

4. Once downloaded move that system.img file to your adb directory

5. With you nexus 7 in the bootloader, adb open, and file downloaded copy and paste this command into adb terminal

fastboot flash system system.img

6. Now you have an OS but it still would loop and wouldnt start

7. Boot into recovery and Format Data again, because for me 0MB interal storage was back again

8. Then Factory Reset

FINALLY YOUR DEVICE SHOULD BE BACK TO ITS ORIGINAL STATE!!!!!
Last edited by jporter396; 27th July 2013 at 06:34 PM.
The Following 55 Users Say Thank You to jporter396 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th July 2013, 04:20 PM   |  #2  
Flag New York City
Thanks Meter: 943

2,211 posts
Donate to Me
Is that the factory image? Have you tried going from unlocked bootloader & rooted back to factory using that image?
27th July 2013, 04:41 PM   |  #3  
Flag Florida
Thanks Meter: 411

1,129 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbelanger

Is that the factory image? Have you tried going from unlocked bootloader & rooted back to factory using that image?

Google has yet to release the official factory image for the new N7. However, a kind user was gracious enough to make their own. It is likely to be almost identical to what Google will eventually release and should work the same way.
27th July 2013, 05:06 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 5

6 posts
Thank you! Thank you!
27th July 2013, 05:20 PM   |  #5  
Flag Jax and The DMV
Thanks Meter: 613

3,129 posts
Donate to Me
More
good stuff OP. glad you got it working again
27th July 2013, 05:48 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 32

139 posts
You all are life savers! 1000X Thanks!
27th July 2013, 07:07 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1

9 posts
I tried running through this, but it didn't work for me. I think my situation is different though because I tried to install a factory image for the 2012 nexus, and during part of that process I ran the "flash-all" script which starts by deleting boot, cache, recovery, userdata, and system.

I think deleting boot screwed me up, because even though I can go into recovery now after reinstalling twrp and I can restore my system using system.img, I still can't boot (get stuck on the google logo). Any way to fix that?
27th July 2013, 07:08 PM   |  #8  
OP Member

89 posts
So you first tried to restore from the OLD Nexus 7 Image?????

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to jporter396 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th July 2013, 07:09 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

89 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by petersellers

I tried running through this, but it didn't work for me. I think my situation is different though because I tried to install a factory image for the 2012 nexus, and during part of that process I ran the "flash-all" script which starts by deleting boot, cache, recovery, userdata, and system.

I think deleting boot screwed me up, because even though I can go into recovery now after reinstalling twrp and I can restore my system using system.img, I still can't boot (get stuck on the google logo). Any way to fix that?

So you first tried to restore the OLD nexus 7 factory image? Probably gonna have to wait for factory image or exchange yours

Last edited by jporter396; 27th July 2013 at 07:13 PM.
27th July 2013, 07:11 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 1

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jporter396

So you first tried to restore from the OLD Nexus 7 Image?????

Yes, I tried to restore from the old image. Obviously fastboot wont let you install the old image, but I didn't realize that until boot, system, cache, etc. were deleted

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Nexus 7 (2013) General by ThreadRank