[Q] Erratic/Jumpy Multi-touch

27th July 2013, 06:42 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 15

69 posts
Update: Star this Android issue if affected: http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=58401

I'm noticing intermittent bouts of erratic multi-touch on the Nexus 7 (2013) 16GB. I exchanged one device already hoping that it was a HW defect, but my second device behaves in exactly the same way.

Chrome, Dolphin, web-view, maps (especially maps) will often jump all over the place during pinch-to-zoom. Sometimes it works fine, but too often, it jumps zoom levels erratically. Edit: This also manifests as double taps and/or "ghost taps" when using the keyboard.

I've installed YAMTT (Yet Another Multitouch test) and I've observed the touch points disappear, change direction and even suddenly register a 3rd touch. None of my other devices do this.

I'm reluctant to exchange the device yet again, but I haven't read about anyone else who's witnessed this. Am I alone in observing this behaviour?

Edit: Here is a terrible video attempting to highlight what I'm seeing in YAMTT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZRiMiNzs0U

And another video in Google Earth (fixed): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14cPiiM3Pwg

Someone else experiencing the issue: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpl26UgcuSs

FINAL UPDATE: I exchanged the device again and the issue is gone (so far). My advice: if you're experiencing this issue, return it. If it continues to happen, return it again until it works.

As a side note, for those experiencing the mushy/hard to press power button, that issue was fixed for me as well.

Final Update Part 2: I am sad to say the issue is still present after all. I'll admit that it is less prevalent than with my first two N7s and the "jumps" are less severe. However, it's still there and I'm not prepared to live with it. Therefore, I am returning the device to get my money back. I'll keep up to date with this issue, and I'll likely buy it down the road when a clear resolution presents itself. I know it would be a great tablet without this problem.

To recap my experience:

First N7 had erratic multi-touch, stiff power button, keyboard and other touch screen issues. Exchanged.

Second N7 had a good power button, but the erratic multi-touch and keyboard issues were still present. Exchanged.

Third N7 had a perfect power button and no keyboard issues, but the erratic pinch to zoom was still present (though less severe). Returned.
Last edited by JayBomb999; 1st August 2013 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Added Android issue link
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JayBomb999 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th July 2013, 07:45 PM   |  #2  
Louisiana
Thanks Meter: 69

236 posts
More
it happen to mine while typing nothing a software update can't fix or even better custom rom
27th July 2013, 07:54 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

69 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzalez

it happen to mine while typing nothing a software update can't fix or even better custom rom

You're probably right. I was just concerned that no one else had mentioned it. I find this behaviour quite annoying.
27th July 2013, 08:39 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 270

1,154 posts
Does the issue go away if you actually held it with the other hand (going by video)? Sounds like the behavior of the 1st gen N7.
27th July 2013, 08:52 PM   |  #5  
OP Member

69 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi7chy

Does the issue go away if you actually held it with the other hand (going by video)? Sounds like the behavior of the 1st gen N7.

I'll try that, thanks. I have the original Nexus 7 as well and never noticed this issue. Could you elaborate a little? Was the issue eventually resolved?
27th July 2013, 08:58 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 270

1,154 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBomb999

I'll try that, thanks. I have the original Nexus 7 as well and never noticed this issue. Could you elaborate a little? Was the issue eventually resolved?

It's designed to be used on a grounded surface either held in hand or on a grounded surface. It's an electrical behavior so I doubt software would change that. Please try held in hand and report back.
27th July 2013, 09:03 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 236

1,490 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBomb999

I'm noticing intermittent bouts of erratic multi-touch on the Nexus 7 (2013) 16GB. I exchanged one device already hoping that it was a HW defect, but my second device behaves in exactly the same way.

Chrome, Dolphin, web-view, maps (especially maps) will often jump all over the place during pinch-to-zoom. Sometimes it works fine, but too often, it jumps zoom levels erratically.

I've installed YAMTT (Yet Another Multitouch test) and I've observed the touch points disappear, change direction and even suddenly register a 3rd touch. None of my other devices do this.

I'm reluctant to exchange the device yet again, but I haven't read about anyone else who's witnessed this. Am I alone in observing this behaviour?

Edit: Here is a terrible video attempting to highlight what I'm seeing in YAMTT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZRiMiNzs0U

And another video in Google Earth: http://youtu.be/14cPiiM3Pwg

I've got this a little bit, glad I'm not the only one with the problem, mine only does it when I hold it above me and use it lol. Everything else is fine with mine so I'm keeping it.
27th July 2013, 09:20 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 6

35 posts
Are you sure this is a software issue?

I remember back when I had an HTC Desire, it had multitouch issues but the fault lay with the digitizer and no update could fix it.
27th July 2013, 09:41 PM   |  #9  
OP Member

69 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi7chy

It's designed to be used on a grounded surface either held in hand or on a grounded surface. It's an electrical behavior so I doubt software would change that. Please try held in hand and report back.

I've tried gripping in both hands, from the bottom bezel, on the table and on the couch. Still, I see this behavior. It's not constant, but it's prevalent enough that I don't know if I'm going to keep it.

It sucks because otherwise I really love it.
28th July 2013, 05:02 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Flag Cincinnati
Thanks Meter: 908

6,824 posts
Donate to Me
More
I dunno. I'm seeing weird anomalies with mine. Moving 2 fingers around, a random 3rd pops up.

Hopefully just software woes. The Galaxy Nexus did this, N7 did this, and now the new N7. Its rare. Haven't had a problem.

Sent from Nexus 7 FHD from XDA Premium HD

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread