View Poll Results: Are you having GPS issues?
Yes 108 83.72%
No 21 16.28%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

GPS locking up

28th July 2013, 05:00 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 194

905 posts
More
I was just wondering if anybody has been having this issue. After successfully locking onto satellites for GPS for navigation, if I turn off maps when I reach my destination, it requires a reboot until I can use GPS again, it only updates once every few minutes. Haven't done much testing on it since I was on a highway going 80 when I noticed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
28th July 2013, 07:16 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 27

157 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy125

I was just wondering if anybody has been having this issue. After successfully locking onto satellites for GPS for navigation, if I turn off maps when I reach my destination, it requires a reboot until I can use GPS again, it only updates once every few minutes. Haven't done much testing on it since I was on a highway going 80 when I noticed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Same issue here. I think its wide spread but only a few of us use the GPS function

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
28th July 2013, 08:25 PM   |  #3  
Flag Fairfax
Thanks Meter: 3

32 posts
More
yup
Happened when i pushed the second update (twice). I'm hoping for a fix soon.
28th July 2013, 08:29 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 26

85 posts
Same here!
28th July 2013, 08:51 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Same here... even exchanged for a new device from 16 to 32gb model and still the same issue. Works for about 10-30mins then locks me in the location completely.

Moderator should merge threads.... issue is duped on XDA
28th July 2013, 10:03 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 142

743 posts
Happened to me while playing ingress, I had to reboot

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
28th July 2013, 10:42 PM   |  #7  
Flag Indianapolis, IN
Thanks Meter: 54

263 posts
Donate to Me
More
This seems to be a legitimate issue. Has anyone reported the bug to Google?
28th July 2013, 10:46 PM   |  #8  
Flag Denver, CO
Thanks Meter: 48

718 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhoud

Happened to me while playing ingress, I had to reboot

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

HERES THE FIX!!
I had this very same issue, and found a resolution for it (can't remember the source now)

After taking both system updates and rebooting, it is necessary to hard reset the device. Upon the initial boot, you must leave all options checked but the following -
  • Backup and Restore options (you can turn on after the initial setup is finished from options)
  • there are three location options, one being new to 4.3 and what I believe to cause this - it mentions the ability for location to be grabbed when the screen is off. You must diable this option.

Finish installation, and then you will have properly working GPS.

Here's how I'm quantifying that - before when I was in the exact same boat as those in this thread, I would open GPS test, and I could see 7 or 8 sats in view, but it wouldn't lock. Or if it did, it would work for a short period of time, and then bomb out. I drove around the city for a few hours yesterday using the GPS so we're near and dear now to each other.

After doing all this - you will IMMEDIATELY see 20 sats available upon launching gps test and then almost immediately get full lock and keep it that way.

Was a pain that I had to clear everything, but now GPS is working as I would expect it, and I've not had any issues getting full lock, even in my basement.

Hope this helps!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kmartburrito For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th July 2013, 10:54 PM   |  #9  
Flag Düsseldorf
Thanks Meter: 1

16 posts
More
I tried to duplicate the problem you describe, but was not able to.

Here is what I did:
- Launch Maps application for the first time.
- Accepted the terms of service and enabled location services access, including Wi-Fi.
- Got location via Wi-Fi, then pinpointed the location via GPS.
- Back to home screen -> Settings -> Apps.
- Maps was not running, but I went into Maps under the all apps view and force closed it.
- Back to home screen.
- Launch the Maps application again and I had an accurate location via GPS in less than 10 seconds.

I repeated this procedure again with the same results. I then disabled Wi-Fi location assistance so that only GPS was available. Repeating the tests twice again and I still see the same results. I have no problems getting a good location lock quickly.

I am running the stock firmware, build JSS15J, and Maps v7.0.1.

I am happy to test again if somebody having this problem can provide specific information regarding their test procedures and results.
28th July 2013, 10:58 PM   |  #10  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Las Vegas
Thanks Meter: 194

905 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc13an

I tried to duplicate the problem you describe, but was not able to.

Here is what I did:
- Launch Maps application for the first time.
- Accepted the terms of service and enabled location services access, including Wi-Fi.
- Got location via Wi-Fi, then pinpointed the location via GPS.
- Back to home screen -> Settings -> Apps.
- Maps was not running, but I went into Maps under the all apps view and force closed it.
- Back to home screen.
- Launch the Maps application again and I had an accurate location via GPS in less than 10 seconds.

I repeated this procedure again with the same results. I then disabled Wi-Fi location assistance so that only GPS was available. Repeating the tests twice again and I still see the same results. I have no problems getting a good location lock quickly.

I am running the stock firmware, build JSS15J, and Maps v7.0.1.

I am happy to test again if somebody having this problem can provide specific information regarding their test procedures and results.

It was showing an accurate location in Maps until I started to drive. Once I sped up, it showed me where I was ~15 miles back

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

The Following User Says Thank You to Flippy125 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread