Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,020 Members 40,713 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: Are you having GPS issues?
Yes 108 83.72%
No 21 16.28%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

GPS locking up

Tip us?

Flippy125
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 194
Default GPS locking up

I was just wondering if anybody has been having this issue. After successfully locking onto satellites for GPS for navigation, if I turn off maps when I reach my destination, it requires a reboot until I can use GPS again, it only updates once every few minutes. Haven't done much testing on it since I was on a highway going 80 when I noticed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Nexus 4: CURRENT
Nexus 7 (2013): CURRENT
Galaxy Nexus: BACKUP
HTC Sensaion: SOLD for $380
HTC Vision: SOLD for $300
Nexus One: SOLD for $400

openwheelracing
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flippy125 View Post
I was just wondering if anybody has been having this issue. After successfully locking onto satellites for GPS for navigation, if I turn off maps when I reach my destination, it requires a reboot until I can use GPS again, it only updates once every few minutes. Haven't done much testing on it since I was on a highway going 80 when I noticed

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Same issue here. I think its wide spread but only a few of us use the GPS function

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

thenewmalcolm
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default yup

Happened when i pushed the second update (twice). I'm hoping for a fix soon.

skyhawk21
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Same here!

crmsnghst
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Same here... even exchanged for a new device from 16 to 32gb model and still the same issue. Works for about 10-30mins then locks me in the location completely.

Moderator should merge threads.... issue is duped on XDA

Vanhoud
Old
Thanks Meter 140
Happened to me while playing ingress, I had to reboot

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

gksmithlcw
Old
Thanks Meter 53

DONATE TO ME
This seems to be a legitimate issue. Has anyone reported the bug to Google?
Grant Smith
A+, Net+, MCPx2, BSIT/VC, MIS

Software Engineer

www.gksmithlcw.com

kmartburrito
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhoud View Post
Happened to me while playing ingress, I had to reboot

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
HERES THE FIX!!
I had this very same issue, and found a resolution for it (can't remember the source now)

After taking both system updates and rebooting, it is necessary to hard reset the device. Upon the initial boot, you must leave all options checked but the following -
  • Backup and Restore options (you can turn on after the initial setup is finished from options)
  • there are three location options, one being new to 4.3 and what I believe to cause this - it mentions the ability for location to be grabbed when the screen is off. You must diable this option.

Finish installation, and then you will have properly working GPS.

Here's how I'm quantifying that - before when I was in the exact same boat as those in this thread, I would open GPS test, and I could see 7 or 8 sats in view, but it wouldn't lock. Or if it did, it would work for a short period of time, and then bomb out. I drove around the city for a few hours yesterday using the GPS so we're near and dear now to each other.

After doing all this - you will IMMEDIATELY see 20 sats available upon launching gps test and then almost immediately get full lock and keep it that way.

Was a pain that I had to clear everything, but now GPS is working as I would expect it, and I've not had any issues getting full lock, even in my basement.

Hope this helps!!
Sprint GS3 - Rooted
Nexus 7 Flo 32

LITE Version:Full Version:

^^^Check out my first two of many Android apps, Decide 4 Me - LITE and Decide 4 Me in the market today, and please give me some good stars and comments if you like them!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kmartburrito For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mrc13an
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I tried to duplicate the problem you describe, but was not able to.

Here is what I did:
- Launch Maps application for the first time.
- Accepted the terms of service and enabled location services access, including Wi-Fi.
- Got location via Wi-Fi, then pinpointed the location via GPS.
- Back to home screen -> Settings -> Apps.
- Maps was not running, but I went into Maps under the all apps view and force closed it.
- Back to home screen.
- Launch the Maps application again and I had an accurate location via GPS in less than 10 seconds.

I repeated this procedure again with the same results. I then disabled Wi-Fi location assistance so that only GPS was available. Repeating the tests twice again and I still see the same results. I have no problems getting a good location lock quickly.

I am running the stock firmware, build JSS15J, and Maps v7.0.1.

I am happy to test again if somebody having this problem can provide specific information regarding their test procedures and results.

Flippy125
Old
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrc13an View Post
I tried to duplicate the problem you describe, but was not able to.

Here is what I did:
- Launch Maps application for the first time.
- Accepted the terms of service and enabled location services access, including Wi-Fi.
- Got location via Wi-Fi, then pinpointed the location via GPS.
- Back to home screen -> Settings -> Apps.
- Maps was not running, but I went into Maps under the all apps view and force closed it.
- Back to home screen.
- Launch the Maps application again and I had an accurate location via GPS in less than 10 seconds.

I repeated this procedure again with the same results. I then disabled Wi-Fi location assistance so that only GPS was available. Repeating the tests twice again and I still see the same results. I have no problems getting a good location lock quickly.

I am running the stock firmware, build JSS15J, and Maps v7.0.1.

I am happy to test again if somebody having this problem can provide specific information regarding their test procedures and results.
It was showing an accurate location in Maps until I started to drive. Once I sped up, it showed me where I was ~15 miles back

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Nexus 4: CURRENT
Nexus 7 (2013): CURRENT
Galaxy Nexus: BACKUP
HTC Sensaion: SOLD for $380
HTC Vision: SOLD for $300
Nexus One: SOLD for $400

The Following User Says Thank You to Flippy125 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]