Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

cast local avi and mkv files from chrome browser

OP rajanikanthr

31st July 2013, 06:12 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Any idea why I can't play avi files in browser? I installed both DivX Plus Web Player, and VLC Web Plugin. I had to disable Quicktime plugin to get MPG, and at this point I seem to have everything (mpg, mp4, mkv, ...) but avi. I see the the avi file extension is listed under the MIME type for VLC plugin, bug chrome still just downloads it. My chromecast gets here today or tomorrow, any ideas about how to get chrome to just play the file?
Also, along the same line of thinking. How can I identify which plugin is playing a given file?
31st July 2013, 08:51 PM   |  #12  

52 posts
Drag and drop works just fine too..
31st July 2013, 09:25 PM   |  #13  
Flag Morrisville
Thanks Meter: 8

113 posts
More
nice to know you can cast local files. Anyone tried casting video from ubuntu?
31st July 2013, 10:06 PM   |  #14  

2 posts
No audio in chrome when playing local files
I know that i am not the first person to experience this but i have not been able to find a solution. When playing an MKV file i have no way in getting any audio out of it at all. Not from my laptop and not from my chrome cast. Nothing at all I have a little slash through the audio speaker that wont go away!
1st August 2013, 12:34 AM   |  #15  
Flag LA
Thanks Meter: 109

505 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanikanthr

can't stop loving my chromecast .. only issue is 720p setting in chrome browser is kinda lagging so switched to 480p , thats ok for now

There's an option for 720p in chrome browser?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium
1st August 2013, 12:48 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 70

170 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougyfresh254

I know that i am not the first person to experience this but i have not been able to find a solution. When playing an MKV file i have no way in getting any audio out of it at all. Not from my laptop and not from my chrome cast. Nothing at all I have a little slash through the audio speaker that wont go away!

If the audio is DTS or AC3 it won't play through Chrome. I believe AAC and MP3 will play. To avoid re-encoding your videos I would recommend installing plex and using their Web view to play the videos, it will transcode the video/audio on the fly and cast that way

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
1st August 2013, 02:04 PM   |  #17  

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougyfresh254

Have you checked the mkv files for Compressed Headers? I had this problem, with trying to play mkv files in my theater+. I used a tool called mkvmerge to remove the compressed headers. That fixed my issue.
2nd August 2013, 01:07 AM   |  #18  

2 posts
Plex works for .avi and mkv fils.

Using it now.

Just set up Plex Media Server.
4th August 2013, 01:58 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 14

68 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlally2001

Using it now.

Just set up Plex Media Server.

PLEX is not working. If you did get it to work, please go into more detail in how you pulled it off. Simply installing the software does nothing and it is so unstable that trying to do anything with the software causes it to lock up.
5th August 2013, 02:14 PM   |  #20  
Thanks Meter: 16

177 posts
How can I change audio source and choose subtitles, when playing an MKV file in chrome browser?

I've tried to search for a plugin or extension, but couldn't find one.

Thanks

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread