5,594,221 Members 45,088 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

cast local avi and mkv files from chrome browser

Tip us?

mkdwns
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Any idea why I can't play avi files in browser? I installed both DivX Plus Web Player, and VLC Web Plugin. I had to disable Quicktime plugin to get MPG, and at this point I seem to have everything (mpg, mp4, mkv, ...) but avi. I see the the avi file extension is listed under the MIME type for VLC plugin, bug chrome still just downloads it. My chromecast gets here today or tomorrow, any ideas about how to get chrome to just play the file?
Also, along the same line of thinking. How can I identify which plugin is playing a given file?

crimsonred36
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Drag and drop works just fine too..

yoonus
Old
Thanks Meter 6
nice to know you can cast local files. Anyone tried casting video from ubuntu?

dougyfresh254
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default No audio in chrome when playing local files

I know that i am not the first person to experience this but i have not been able to find a solution. When playing an MKV file i have no way in getting any audio out of it at all. Not from my laptop and not from my chrome cast. Nothing at all I have a little slash through the audio speaker that wont go away!

booked
Old
Thanks Meter 109

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanikanthr View Post
can't stop loving my chromecast .. only issue is 720p setting in chrome browser is kinda lagging so switched to 480p , thats ok for now
There's an option for 720p in chrome browser?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using xda premium
Hacked, Cracked, and backed(up) - Droid X2
Droid DNA

If I helped you, donate to me. Thanks

edd247
Old
Thanks Meter 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougyfresh254 View Post
I know that i am not the first person to experience this but i have not been able to find a solution. When playing an MKV file i have no way in getting any audio out of it at all. Not from my laptop and not from my chrome cast. Nothing at all I have a little slash through the audio speaker that wont go away!
If the audio is DTS or AC3 it won't play through Chrome. I believe AAC and MP3 will play. To avoid re-encoding your videos I would recommend installing plex and using their Web view to play the videos, it will transcode the video/audio on the fly and cast that way

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

mkdwns
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougyfresh254 View Post

Have you checked the mkv files for Compressed Headers? I had this problem, with trying to play mkv files in my theater+. I used a tool called mkvmerge to remove the compressed headers. That fixed my issue.

tlally2001
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Plex works for .avi and mkv fils.

Plex works for .avi and mkv fils.

Using it now.

Just set up Plex Media Server.

digital0verdose
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlally2001 View Post
Plex works for .avi and mkv fils.

Using it now.

Just set up Plex Media Server.
PLEX is not working. If you did get it to work, please go into more detail in how you pulled it off. Simply installing the software does nothing and it is so unstable that trying to do anything with the software causes it to lock up.

Animor
Old
Thanks Meter 15
How can I change audio source and choose subtitles, when playing an MKV file in chrome browser?

I've tried to search for a plugin or extension, but couldn't find one.

Thanks