XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast won't connect to router or phone hotspot wireless AP

Tip us?

phanboy4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Chromecast won't connect to router or phone hotspot wireless AP

So I got my Chromecast from Amazon, got it hooked up and tried several times to set it up via Chrome on an iPad. It can see my AP but it gets stuck on the "Connecting to...." screen, and then eventually goes back to the code entry display screen without completing.

So I tried the Win7 app, same problem. I have a dual-band Netgear WNDR3700v2, no issues with it ever. AP isolation is off, tried with NAT off and on, etc.

Then I tried with my phone hotspot, same issue. Can see, but gets stuck on 'Connecting to .....' screen and then goes back to code entry display.

If I'm having the same issue with 2 different hotspots, should I just get a replacement, or am I missing something? I'm thinking replacement at this point.

NyPlaya513
Old
Thanks Meter 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanboy4 View Post
So I got my Chromecast from Amazon, got it hooked up and tried several times to set it up via Chrome on an iPad. It can see my AP but it gets stuck on the "Connecting to...." screen, and then eventually goes back to the code entry display screen without completing.

So I tried the Win7 app, same problem. I have a dual-band Netgear WNDR3700v2, no issues with it ever. AP isolation is off, tried with NAT off and on, etc.

Then I tried with my phone hotspot, same issue. Can see, but gets stuck on 'Connecting to .....' screen and then goes back to code entry display.

If I'm having the same issue with 2 different hotspots, should I just get a replacement, or am I missing something? I'm thinking replacement at this point.
im having a similar issue with my phones hotspot. even if it does randomly connect, it acts as though it doesnt.

connor32
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Same router, same problem.

paperWastage
Old
Thanks Meter 268
no problems connecting to a router (RT-N16, Tomato firmware)

no problems connecting to phone hotspot (Oppo Find 5, CM10.1)
Current Device:
Oppo Find 5 - experimental kernel

PatCampbell
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanboy4 View Post

I also had this issue initially..I have a dual-band Netgear WNDR4700....Note: Chromecaste only works on the 2.4 GHz.
// Atleast thats the case for now??

connor32
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by connor32 View Post
Same router, same problem.
It is working fine now. Not sure what was the problem, but I'd say that it could be related to the USB power. I am now using the external adapter.

dzotx
Old
Thanks Meter 1
What encryption are you guys using? I had to manually enter SSID and encryption type before I can get it to connect. My router uses WPA2/AES.

calypsoe36
Old
(Last edited by calypsoe36; 31st July 2013 at 01:43 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
WNDR3700v2 here as well. Not sure if that's the common link, but Chromecast won't connect either. Tried several tablets/phones, many resets and changed every router setting I could find.

I can go through the setup process then the Chromecast hangs at the "Connecting to [AP name]" message. If I use another mobile device, I can see that about 50% of the time the Chromecast is actually available and functional. It works for a couple minutes then loses connection. At this point, it must be factory reset to become functional again. I must start the setup again. I think my problem is that I can't 'officially' complete the setup process.

I have tried disabling the 5 GHz band, disabling security, used the power brick, etc. I've used various TVs too, including one right next to the router.

EDIT: Finally! After a billion attempts, it successfully completed the setup process. I used the web setup (no app) with broadcast SSID enabled. I literally tried this exact setup 10x, but it worked this one time.

jptech
Old
Thanks Meter 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by calypsoe36 View Post
WNDR3700v2 here as well. Not sure if that's the common link, but Chromecast won't connect either. Tried several tablets/phones, many resets and changed every router setting I could find.

I can go through the setup process then the Chromecast hangs at the "Connecting to [AP name]" message. If I use another mobile device, I can see that about 50% of the time the Chromecast is actually available and functional. It works for a couple minutes then loses connection. At this point, it must be factory reset to become functional again. I must start the setup again. I think my problem is that I can't 'officially' complete the setup process.

I have tried disabling the 5 GHz band, disabling security, used the power brick, etc. I've used various TVs too, including one right next to the router.

EDIT: Finally! After a billion attempts, it successfully completed the setup process. I used the web setup (no app) with broadcast SSID enabled. I literally tried this exact setup 10x, but it worked this one time.
I've tried everything I can.

I have a dlink DGL-4500 with a DAP-1360 plugged into it in AP mode. I was able to connect it on the main router but it lost connection and I had to hard reset it. It will not connect over the AP at all. The dlink comes with a setting called wlan partition. That is disabled. I have no setting for ap isolation.

phanboy4
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Ok, solved this one for my issue but it's router specific.

If you have a Netgear WNDR3700v2, there was a firmware upgrade 1.0.0.32 that broke wireless isolation, such that it was always enabled even if you turned isolation off in the router settings.

Unfortunately .32 also broke upgrades for me, so I had to manually reset and apply the 1.0.0.36 firmware (latest version) using this procedure: http://forum1.netgear.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=39

If you read the release notes for .36 you'll see they fixed a bug relating to wireless isolation. I can confirm that fixed it for me. Again, this is specific to this particular make/model router, if yours doesn't work after turning off wireless isolation it's due to some other issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to phanboy4 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]