No registration required

Xperia Z Ultra Short Review

OP Andrewtst

9th August 2013, 10:46 AM   |  #171  
Thanks Meter: 9

27 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyjr

I imagine there will be third party solution, but that section in the video just looks like a normal flip cover.

If you look closely, there's a huge bezel on the lower part of the phone when she was watching a movie. So I believe it will be an official Sony extra battery case.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brosenz

Mine after a full charge sitting idle with screen off and stamina on went down 3% to 4% in 1 hour, that's really bad. Do you think LTE versions are going to be worse than HSPA+ we all have today?, thanks

Im pretty sure the LTE version will suck the life out of the Z Ultra. Im using the 3G version, with stamina mode on with gmail, outlook and whatsapp always on. Browsing the web for a period of a few minutes drain the battery by 5-10 %.
The Following User Says Thank You to lex xander For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th August 2013, 11:52 AM   |  #172  
Flag Cardiff
Thanks Meter: 238

1,179 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex xander

If you look closely, there's a huge bezel on the lower part of the phone when she was watching a movie. So I believe it will be an official Sony extra battery case.

mmmm I see what you mean, I hope that is not what they come up with, it would made the device a bitch to hold and operate in portrait mode.

I'd prefer a third party powerjacket that just makes the device a bit thicker.
11th August 2013, 03:28 AM   |  #173  
Thanks Meter: 4

78 posts
Can any of you that have the ultra already post some low light shot? Debating between this and Note 3 and want to see how well the ultra handles low light.
12th August 2013, 01:20 PM   |  #174  
Thanks Meter: 18

210 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario9702

Can any of you that have the ultra already post some low light shot? Debating between this and Note 3 and want to see how well the ultra handles low light.

Pretty bad.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk 4
The Following User Says Thank You to rockmaster For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th August 2013, 01:35 PM   |  #175  
Flag Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 102

267 posts
More
Quote:

To be honest with you, if you want to buy ZU for the camera then you will be disappointed. I bought my ZU about 8-10 days ago and loving it so far, but I didn't order for its camera, so I knew what I was doing. If someone tells you ZU takes extra ordinary images then they haven't seen any good pictures yet.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tarzan- For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th August 2013, 01:46 PM   |  #176  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,664

15,002 posts
More
Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to LordManhattan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th August 2013, 02:17 PM   |  #177  
Thanks Meter: 24

161 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzan-

To be honest with you, if you want to buy ZU for the camera then you will be disappointed. I bought my ZU about 8-10 days ago and loving it so far, but I didn't order for its camera, so I knew what I was doing. If someone tells you ZU takes extra ordinary images then they haven't seen any good pictures yet.

12th August 2013, 06:25 PM   |  #178  
Account currently disabled
Flag Kepler-34b
Thanks Meter: 5,664

15,002 posts
More
Full review by Android Authority

14th August 2013, 11:30 AM   |  #179  
SAN DIEGO
Thanks Meter: 55

50 posts
Terrible Contrast Ratio
I wouldn't get too excited about this display just yet. I have done some measurements and I am seeing that the contrast ratio is about 689:1! That is worse than the original z. It is the same with the Bravia engine 2 on or off.

Also I see quite a bit of light loss or brightness loss when turning this device. This is nowhere near as good as the HTC One IPS Display. I don't see color shifting though.

Also, I'm not happy about black compensation. There is a lot of compression in shadows. Dark scenes are just too dark too soon and they lose a ton of detail. No variations in shadows. Just all the same "black". Plus in the dark this display looks like a bright shining light leak. Lol no darker blacks at all. Think about a bluish grey and a very bright one at that.

Sony is taking gamma for highlights and midtones and making them way too bright (low gamma). Let's give an average of gamma 2.02. Then in shadows they are making gamma way too high and pretty early on. I guess the combination of too low gamma (or too bright midtones and highlights), contrasts with the high gamma shadows (too dark to have any variations in shadows) . This makes things look punchy but I'm not so much appreciating this processing! If only blacks were darker. =(

The color temp is also pretty blue at about 8000 Kelvin. Not impressed Sony.

I will be making a video on YouTube about this as I discover more. Http://www.YouTube.com/theangelofmusic1989.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewtst

My Xperia Z Ultra short review.

• Build Quality: Damn solid! obvious better than Z.
  • Screen Panel: The best I ever seen so far, no more viewing angle issue. Equal or even better than HTC One.
  • Loud Speaker: Slightly better than Z but still too soft.
  • Performance: Snapdragon 800 & Adreno 330 really is monster! wow! Awesome performance! Heavy 3D games had no issue playback smoothly even turn on the 4xAA at Developer options. Example games I test out include Real Racing & Despicable Me.
  • Interface: Currently same as Z one, it is old UI, not the new one as advertise during press. They is no X-Reality support yet, and also cannot open more than one Small Apps. The stylus input is kind of gimmick also for now, not as seen at press where can use everywhere.

Interface:

Benchmark:

Outdoor snap, using Superior Auto:

Indoor snap, either Superior Auto or SCN mode:

Last edited by angelofmusic; 14th August 2013 at 11:33 AM.
14th August 2013, 02:25 PM   |  #180  
Thanks Meter: 33

306 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelofmusic

I wouldn't get too excited about this display just yet. I have done some measurements and I am seeing that the contrast ratio is about 689:1! That is worse than the original z. It is the same with the Bravia engine 2 on or off.

Also I see quite a bit of light loss or brightness loss when turning this device. This is nowhere near as good as the HTC One IPS Display. I don't see color shifting though.

Also, I'm not happy about black compensation. There is a lot of compression in shadows. Dark scenes are just too dark too soon and they lose a ton of detail. No variations in shadows. Just all the same "black". Plus in the dark this display looks like a bright shining light leak. Lol no darker blacks at all. Think about a bluish grey and a very bright one at that.

Sony is taking gamma for highlights and midtones and making them way too bright (low gamma). Let's give an average of gamma 2.02. Then in shadows they are making gamma way too high and pretty early on. I guess the combination of too low gamma (or too bright midtones and highlights), contrasts with the high gamma shadows (too dark to have any variations in shadows) . This makes things look punchy but I'm not so much appreciating this processing! If only blacks were darker. =(

The color temp is also pretty blue at about 8000 Kelvin. Not impressed Sony.

I will be making a video on YouTube about this as I discover more. Http://www.YouTube.com/theangelofmusic1989.

nice review.

do you think that the new FW with 'X-Reality' engine will fix these processing techniques? I've heard that the triluminous feature is not even enabled yet because bravia 2 engine does not take advantage of it.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread