Rules- Please Read
- I am not responsible for anything that happens to you and/or your device. There is no serious risk involved with installing these keyboards but I have to say it.
- DO NOT Post the links on this page on ANY other site or thread without my permission!! You can post a link to this thread but DO NOT repost my links!
- DO NOT use ANY of my keyboards in your ROM, theme, Xposed Mod, ect. without my permission!! If you would like to include my work in your project, just ask via PM. I haven't said no to anyone yet!
- PLEASE DO NOT Post links or screenshots to yours or anyone else's keyboards on my thread. It's off topic, disrespectful and not tolerated. Screenshots of keyboards are welcomed only if they are for the purpose of explaining a request or reporting a bug.
Welcome to ShaftamleKeyboards! This thread was created on August 1 ,2013, initially with 7 keyboards. Since then, Shaftamle Keyboards has been featured on The XDA-Portal, The Android Soul and Techtricks! The total number of keyboards has grown to over 100 different options! In less than one year the thread reached a quarter of a million views with total downloads well over 3,000!! This is possible thanks to all you amazing supporters and contributors!
You use your Google Keyboard every day, so why not make it Shaftamle!!
Shaftamle Keyboards is a very different type of thread. Keyboards are being added all the time. Users can submit their work to share with the rest of the Android world. User request sessions are held occasionally to give you all the chance to throw your idea out there! But the 4 things in my eyes that are most important are as follows:
- Root or no root, it makes no difference. Just install the app as normal.
- All phones and tablets using mdpi, hdpi, xhdpi and xxhdpi are supported! Which means anything relatively new will work!!
- This is an EXTREMLY begginer(noob) friendly thread. If you have a problem/question, ask away. I try to answer any and all questions.
- An extremly organized and easy to navigate main thread.
@wildstang83BIG thanks to wildstang83 for his awesome XDA-Portal article on 12/18/2013 about this thread!
@Rompnit-For allowing me to use the keyboard PNG's from his M.O.A.R. ROM's Aroma installer. Also for his inspiration and guide to themeing keyboards, located here.
@PhilDX-For modifying the original Google Keyboard to include a dedicated row of numbers. Without him, Shafta123Series would not be possible.
Tha Phlash- For letting me use an icon from his MNMLcony icon pack! Check out his AMAZING collection either in his app or his brand new website!!
@remotehugger-For helping me test the HDPI functionality.
@PiggySmalls502-For helping me with testing on Nexus devices.
@Brut.all, @vmancini3 and @NilsP-Thank you all for the help in my search to "Recompile the Google Keyboard!"
My Mom-For giving me her upgrade so I didn't have to pay $600+ for this phone!
There are a few things you need to know before installing these keyboards. Please read the following before installing:
- You must be on Android 4.0 or higher. It is a requirment of Google Keyboard.
- Your device must be either mdpi, hdpi, xhdpi or xxhdpi. ldpi is not supported.
- You must UNINSTALL any exsisting Google, Android or AOSP keyboard first.
- If your phone comes with Google Keyboard pre-installed(IE: Nexus, Moto X, Droid Ultra ect.) you must completely uninstall it for Shaftamle Keyboards to work. These types of phones have the Google keyboard installed as a system app. So without root you can't uninstall them. Unfortunately this means, these keyboards may not work on these types of non-rooted devices, sorry! If your not sure if this applies to you, go ahead and try, the worst that will happen is the install will fail.
- Download APK(app) to your phone. Your browser may warn you about the download, that is a default warning that occurs anytime you download an app file from another source other than the play store.
- Uninstall any existing Google/Android/AOSP keyboard using the Application manager(non-root) or Titanium Backup(root).
- Reboot your device.
Google Version #: 3.1.19653.1284735
This tutorial is for Windows Users
1) Download and install 7zip. (Win RAR and others similar are fine as well)
2) Download the Shaftamle Zip Template from below.
3) Take whatever Shaftamle keyboard you would like and rename it exactly as follows: com.google.android.inputmethod.latin-1
4) Right click on the downloaded Shaftamle template zip and select: 7zip -> Open Archive. DO NOT UNZIP OR EXTRACT!!
5) In the open 7zip window, double click the "data" folder, then double click the "app" folder. Now, drag the renamed Shaftamle keyboard into that folder and click "ok" on the popup message, overwriting the stock keyboard thats already in there.
Congratulations! You have built your own Shaftamle Zip file! Now go flash that bad boy!!
Shaftamle Zip Template 3.1.19653.1284735
Shafta-L Keyboards built using:
Official Developer Preview Android L Keyboard
1)Shafta-L needs a clean install.
2)You must enable the "Material" theme in: Keyboard Settings-> Advanced Options-> Color Scheme
Donations are always greatly appreciated!! If you like my work, please consider a small contribution for the countless hours of hard work that made this thread what it is!
It is a tremendous amount of work to maintain all of the different options, as well as keeping the OP clean and easy to navigate. I love doing this but it takes a TON of time!
A couple Bucks goes a long way!!
Thanks for your support!!
Recent Change Log
9/18/2014:MAJOR UPDATE!!Lots of new options!! Here is the list of the Shaftamleness:
- Introducing, ShaftaGlassBlurSunset! Availible in the 7.0 download section!
- In the Shafta-L section, come and check out the Marble Series!! Now in Teal, Blue and Cyan! Pulled directly from the Material Design Color Chart!!
- ALL, yes, ALL keyboards now availible in 123 series format!!
- With the new editions, the total keyboard count pushes to 147!
- 123 Has been resized to be almost 20% smaller without sacrificing key button size.
- Rearranged a few of the secondary symbols in the 123 series keyboards to be more useful.
- Number row now also availible in Arabic Language!
- Unthemed/Distorted Keyboards: Occasionally, keyboards may seem unthemed or distorted when using other apps or mods that further theme your phone. Things like CM theme changer, exposed or flashable themes sometimes incorporate keyboard themes which can affect Shaftamle Keyboards. (see posts #9 and #10).
- Swype not working/Buttons sticking after install: Simply reinstall the keyboard.
Advanced Trouble Shooting
If you are experiencing extensive lag, force closes or the app fails to install, don't panic!! Sometimes this happens. Why? Nobody is really sure. However, the steps below fix the issue 99.9% of the time. So, if you ALREADY tried to UNINSTALL as the instalation directions state, then click the button below for further troubleshooting instructions.
1) UNINSTALL ALL Google, Android, AOSP and Shaftamle keyboards. Titanium Backup or ROM Toolbox works great for this.
2) Open your root browser. Search through the following folders:
Now, search through these folders:
And delete them as well.
3) Reboot your device.
4) Now that you have deleted any leftover duplicates you should not have any problems installing Shaftamle Keyboards, so give it a shot!
Please, If you do not understand or need any extra help, please PM me! I would hate for someone to mess something up on their phone because they did not understand the instructions. Enjoy!!
Thank you SO much to these Awesome Donators!!
@N4STYNATE @vmancini3 @PiggySmalls502 @Mistertac @gippy2@Natakranta @p-slim
You can find Shaftamle Keyboards pre-installed in these Awesome ROMS/Mods!! Thanks you to all these amazing devs for including my keyboards in your work! I'm honored to be a part of your final product!
- SLT CaiRisma- Micromax A110 ROM @SuperDroid-BOND
- SlimBean PrimoU- HTC One V @mcgi5sr2
- Baja ROM- Verizon Note3 @bajasur
- Ex-Themer2 Xposed Module @SArnab©®
- Nemesis ROM- Verizon S4 @gigilie
- Darkside ROM- TMobile Note2 @manufan721
- TMS3 ROM- AT&T S3 @talkingmonkeys