[MOD][JB][I8160+P] 624 MB accessible RAM on ANY Jelly Bean ROM

Search This thread

Szaby59

Aug 26, 2010
WARNING!

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE!

Tested with MC8/MF1/MG2 builds on a European I8160.

BE AWARE! Flashing bootloader (only V2) can be dangerous and has higher chance to brick your phone, especially if you flash the incorrect version!

CHANGES:

FOR I8160:

- included new Jelly Bean Secondary Bootloader (SBL) now MC8 (and possible other) builds are supported

FOR I8160P:

- included new Jelly Bean Secondary Bootloader (SBL), and param.lfs from P ROM.

INFO:

This small mod will give you 624 MB accessible RAM on (almost) any stock JB firmware, without installing any other ROM by flashing a new Secondary Bootloader and PARAM.
These files are from the Russian XXMG2 ROM and XXME1 (P) ROM - flashing them does not increase the flash counter.

FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS:

!!! DO NOT FLASH V2 FIRST! ALWAYS TRY V1 IF NOT WORKS THEN TRY V2 !!!
!!! FOR P VERSION DOWNLOAD "_P_" FILES !!!

I8160: So far only MC8 requires V2, other builds (MF1/MF2/MG2) should work with V1!
I8160P: I don't have it, try V1 first then V2.
I8160L/Chinese/Hong Kong variants: don't try V2, only V1 (not the _P_ version) !

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE JB (and with 482 MB or 550 MB RAM):

1, Flash your stock firmware with Odin, or Update with Kies - assuming you already did.
2, Download the attached 624MEM_V1 or V2.rar.
3, Restart your phone in download mode, start Odin and select 624MEM_VX.tar.md5 as PDA.
4, Flash it, after restart your phone should have 624 MB RAM accessible.
- If the phone boots to recovery just select "reboot system now" and press the power button.

f1kt.png

FLASHING STOCK ROM WITH THIS MOD:

1, Download the attached 624MEM_V1 or V2.rar, then extract somewhere.
- Select the stock ROM as PDA and 624MEM_VX.tar.md5 as CSC.
- DO NOT TICK REPARTITION
2, Flash it.
3, After restart your phone should have 624 MB RAM accessible.

kq2r.png

CWM FLASHABLE ZIP (ONLY FROM V1):

- I decided to make CWM version only from V1 because V2 replaces the bootloader, and that is much safer to do with Odin.
- requires rooted phone (JB) with busybox and CWM recovery

1, Copy 624MEM_CWM.zip to your external SD card.
2, Flash with CWM as update.zip.
3, After restart you should have 624 MB RAM accessible.

To remove this mod, follow the "HOW TO COME BACK TO GB" guide and after that reflash your stock JB firmware without this mod.

Attachments

• xeh_jb_624.jpg
    xeh_jb_624.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 3,258
  • jb_624.jpg
    jb_624.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 3,034
  • 624MEM_V1.rar
    380.2 KB · Views: 34,454
  • 624MEM_V2.rar
    616.1 KB · Views: 9,784
  • 624MEM_V1_CWM.zip
    545.9 KB · Views: 7,580
  • 624MEM_P_V1_CWM.zip
    546 KB · Views: 2,045
  • 624MEM_P_V1.rar
    379.9 KB · Views: 2,776
  • 624MEM_P_V2.rar
    617.2 KB · Views: 1,882
Last edited:

podtalje

Mar 22, 2010
First I would like to thank you for this mod.

Next, is it possible to get a little more info about this mod?

What I would like to know is how exactly does this mod change the value of RAM to 624MB.

I am asking this question because I would think that Samsung most probably had a reason to release firmwares with reduced value or RAM and there have also
been some reports that versions with less RAM are more stable (but I guess this also depends on firmware version).

Last edited:

Szaby59

Aug 26, 2010
It will replace kernel2.bin.md5 and param.lfs.md5.
Probably param.lfs.md5 causes the RAM change, but I also included kernel2.bin.md5 because these 2 files are present in every rom with 624 MB RAM.
Both files are from Russian SER (XXMG2) firmware without any modification, so it will not increase the flash counter.

Last edited:

pupakota

Sep 29, 2009
This is NICE...but where's download?
Am i blind?

Last edited:

Szaby59

Aug 26, 2010
Sorry, I forgot that .md5 files are not supported by the site.
Thread updated, 624MEM.tar.md5 attached in rar format.

Edit: Update.zip version for CWM added.

Last edited:
Reactions: Msiiek

xrgman

Apr 10, 2013
Italian job is based on stock so yes

Sent from my GT-I8160 using xda premium

swalihcmr

Feb 2, 2013
Is this methode safe to do..??

I am using the custom ROM 'The Blue Job' by Rox based on 'BTU MC8' ...My current RAM is 550mb...

will there be any noticeable improvement in performance or smoothness if I change to 624mb..??

Szaby59

Aug 26, 2010
If you take your phone to a Samsung repair center and they update it with their "full" firmware you'll have 624 MB RAM, there is a problem with some Kies firmwares, that's why many phones after official update will have 482 or 550 MB.
This method adds the "missing" files so you'll have 624 MB RAM without flashing another rom.
And yes more RAM will give some performance improvement.

Last edited:

Szaby59

Aug 26, 2010
MC8 was better with 550 MB, but newer MF1 and MG2 builds are much faster with 624 MB RAM.

Reactions: Msiiek

Szaby59

Aug 26, 2010
Well, I tried MC8 and was better with 550, BUT when MC8 released to get 624 MB RAM we had to flash MB2 or MB4 leak - and that could be the cause of the bad performance.
I suggest you to try it and later you can reflash to GB then JB if you are not satisfied with the performance.
Currently the mod does not working on MC8, because all MC8 builds are without the new JB bootloader.
I will upload a new version in a few hours.

Edit: New version added, now MC8 builds are supported.

Last edited:

unicornx

Feb 28, 2010
Is there any significant change in performance...??
Because I heard 550mb RAM is more stable and smooth than 624 in our device.... Is it true..??

Sorry, I am noob here..
I am using MC8..

Me neither a big time noob. The issue is i had 482 and always home screen was lagging. But now with 624 its awesome. No Lags. Its a clear performance improvement as far as i can see:good:

Reactions: Szaby59

Chanz09

Nov 17, 2009
Me neither a big time noob. The issue is i had 482 and always home screen was lagging. But now with 624 its awesome. No Lags. Its a clear performance improvement as far as i can see:good:

Did exacly same had 482mb on mf1. After this trick it improved alot on lag. Apps runs better. Thanks for this mod.

Reactions: GleGoo

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING!

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU BRICK YOUR PHONE!

Tested with MC8/MF1/MG2 builds on a European I8160.

BE AWARE! Flashing bootloader (only V2) can be dangerous and has higher chance to brick your phone, especially if you flash the incorrect version!

CHANGES:

FOR I8160:

- included new Jelly Bean Secondary Bootloader (SBL) now MC8 (and possible other) builds are supported

FOR I8160P:

- included new Jelly Bean Secondary Bootloader (SBL), and param.lfs from P ROM.

INFO:

This small mod will give you 624 MB accessible RAM on (almost) any stock JB firmware, without installing any other ROM by flashing a new Secondary Bootloader and PARAM.
    These files are from the Russian XXMG2 ROM and XXME1 (P) ROM - flashing them does not increase the flash counter.

FLASHING INSTRUCTIONS:

!!! DO NOT FLASH V2 FIRST! ALWAYS TRY V1 IF NOT WORKS THEN TRY V2 !!!
    !!! FOR P VERSION DOWNLOAD "_P_" FILES !!!

I8160: So far only MC8 requires V2, other builds (MF1/MF2/MG2) should work with V1!
    I8160P: I don't have it, try V1 first then V2.
    I8160L/Chinese/Hong Kong variants: don't try V2, only V1 (not the _P_ version) !

IF YOU ALREADY HAVE JB (and with 482 MB or 550 MB RAM):

1, Flash your stock firmware with Odin, or Update with Kies - assuming you already did.
    2, Download the attached 624MEM_V1 or V2.rar.
    3, Restart your phone in download mode, start Odin and select 624MEM_VX.tar.md5 as PDA.
    4, Flash it, after restart your phone should have 624 MB RAM accessible.
    - If the phone boots to recovery just select "reboot system now" and press the power button.

f1kt.png

FLASHING STOCK ROM WITH THIS MOD:

1, Download the attached 624MEM_V1 or V2.rar, then extract somewhere.
    - Select the stock ROM as PDA and 624MEM_VX.tar.md5 as CSC.
    - DO NOT TICK REPARTITION
    2, Flash it.
    3, After restart your phone should have 624 MB RAM accessible.

kq2r.png

CWM FLASHABLE ZIP (ONLY FROM V1):

- I decided to make CWM version only from V1 because V2 replaces the bootloader, and that is much safer to do with Odin.
    - requires rooted phone (JB) with busybox and CWM recovery

1, Copy 624MEM_CWM.zip to your external SD card.
    2, Flash with CWM as update.zip.
    3, After restart you should have 624 MB RAM accessible.

To remove this mod, follow the "HOW TO COME BACK TO GB" guide and after that reflash your stock JB firmware without this mod.
    If you take your phone to a Samsung repair center and they update it with their "full" firmware you'll have 624 MB RAM, there is a problem with some Kies firmwares, that's why many phones after official update will have 482 or 550 MB.
    This method adds the "missing" files so you'll have 624 MB RAM without flashing another rom.
    And yes more RAM will give some performance improvement.
    It will replace kernel2.bin.md5 and param.lfs.md5.
    Probably param.lfs.md5 causes the RAM change, but I also included kernel2.bin.md5 because these 2 files are present in every rom with 624 MB RAM.
    Both files are from Russian SER (XXMG2) firmware without any modification, so it will not increase the flash counter.
    Well, I tried MC8 and was better with 550, BUT when MC8 released to get 624 MB RAM we had to flash MB2 or MB4 leak - and that could be the cause of the bad performance.
    I suggest you to try it and later you can reflash to GB then JB if you are not satisfied with the performance.
    Currently the mod does not working on MC8, because all MC8 builds are without the new JB bootloader.
    I will upload a new version in a few hours.

Edit: New version added, now MC8 builds are supported.
    New files added, from now I8160P is fully supported!