Galaxy Note 8 Mods, Tips and Tricks. Guide for N5110 &51xx [You Start Here!]

Search This thread

Bizack

May 1, 2013
Las Vegas
www.vaporbeast.com
Who NEeds Help To get to KitKat?

If you are already Rooted..... Go here to Civ.'s thread and you can flash his rom and get the Kernel while you are there.
All of the instructions are in the threads. They are as close to perfect as we can get.
**as of 6/18/2014 after flashing I would keep checking back until you see that the issues are all resolved and pay attention tothe threads and read, read read, read them and make a back up before you do anything....

Good Luck With Kit Kat!!!

If you are not currently rooted, please send me a note or make a post and we can figure out where you are and what you can do to get rooted.

Please Make Sure that you know what your firmware is BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING LISTED BELOW!! basically, you need to know what you are doing before you start.
We have KitKat OTA out there so if you use any of the Jelly Bean Stuff you can BRICK your device.. Take HEED!!!!

First and foremost I take No responsibility for anything that happens to your Tablet, Phone. Rooting will invalidate you warranty, so do so at your own Risk. If you make a brick, paper weight or anything else out of your phone, Tablet, Phablet, I take NO responsibility.
I take NO credit for anything that has been developed, I am simply putting things in one place for all of us to find easier.

Jelly Bean Stuff Only Below!!!! Make sure that you know what version Rom you are on!!!!
(Have you taken Heed?)

Take a Stock ROM and Make it Customized...!
:p:silly:

If you are new here, This is a nice Glossary of Terms put up by droidstyle and created by Jawman27 , Big thanks to them for setting this up...

Most everything I have found is pretty east to do for even the most novice of users. There are a few things that will cause anxiety, but what I have found it that most of the dev's are really good at listing instructions on how to use the magic they have so freely given. Read, Read and Read again till you understand the instructions...!
If you don't understand ask questions in the OP's thread and I am sure that the dev or others in the thread will give you sound advice and clear up any misconceptions. If you ask your questions here I will do my best to answer, but you are always going to find the most relevant information in the Thread of the OP. This is a Thread for you to see what is available out in the world...

With that being said I am setting up this thread here in this forum because there are slim pickins around here and we have a ton of stuff available to use that most are not aware of in the Galaxy Note 8 world. Some of what I have found that works here on the Note 8 (5110) I found in Other forums for other devices. Lot's of things are Compatible, some are not. Remember to choose wisely if you did not see it here in this thread and you don't know if it works.
I can only speak to the GT-N5110 because I own this device. Once others with Other Devices post with success stories then I can say that this will work with them.

If you found something that works that didn't come from the Galaxy Note 8 Forum, Post it and give a little instruction on what you have done that might differ from the OP from which it came. If it does come from this neck of the woods then post it with a link to the op and I will incorporate it in the the OP if it makes since.
Please don't rewrite the instructions here, If you are not the developer then let them speak for themselves. Post a link to the OP

Everything I post here in the OP I have tried and have succeeded in doing... Please if you succeed then post we want to here about success and if you have a failure so we can look at what happened and make sure that I/we all understand what is going on...

And we're off! ( Please note that these lists are never complete. this is a work in progress, so if you find something add it so we all can benefit from it. )

ROOT
How to Root your new device.
This is what I used initially...
I used Chainfire's thread located here in the Galaxy Note 8 Original Android Development Section. Chainfire is the Man, many props for all of his hard work. Buy his apps if you use them and like them... I did!

We also have mskip Galaxy Note 8 Toolbox. I use this applicaiton. I paid for the premium version because it is a way to give back to these guys for their hard work. If you use it and love it pay for it... (I did.)
Take a look, read the OP, re-read the OP and when you get back let us know how you did, what you did when you did it...

**New Update 8/6 Here is a New Root Process for the GT-N5120. This was put together by Slipurson. Check out his post. This was done with a Windows 8.1 PC with out running in compatibility mode, so keep that in mind if you are using a different version. This will be for GT-N5120 the LTE version only. Big thanks to Slipurson for your work on this!

Follow Directions carefully and you will come out with a rooted device!

UNROOT
I found out a few things about the process when you UNroot. I just had to unroot my Note 8 and put it back to bone stock...
Now If you have to do this, I would suggest going to SuperSU > Settings > Uninstall for UNRoot. If you do not do this and use Odin to flash back to a completely stock Rom. you might get your self into a bootloop... Not a tasty cereal, just a frustrating issue that will cause some slight irritation...
If you find yourself in a boot loop after doing what I just suggested not to do then You will want to flash Chainfire's CF AutoRoot. If you have any questions, please hit me up first before you make a brick!

Here is the only method that I have found so far. Big thanks to janjannsen99 for getting this together. THis will take you back to the original version 4.1.2. As soon as we get the next release 4.2.2 I will post a link to it.
** Note** If you need help above and beyond what is in janjannsen99 thread, post it up and I will see what we can accomplish...

Recoveries I back up after I back up and then I back up twice! (credit 2 Sublime)
Look in the Original Android Development you have a few to choose from.
Some like TWRP some like CWM. It is wise to have access to both, some roms or other flashables may be dependent on which recovery that you use. So remember to read the OP and the thread of what you are about to flash and see if there is a mention about it. If no mention then I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just as a rule of thumb make sure you have a nandroid back up before you flash anything...

1. here is a link for TWRP. Thank you to emwno for his work on bringing this together. Please read the OP in his thread... I use this and have had no issues...

2. Go Here for CWM. Thank you to emwno for his work on bringing this together as well...

Stock ROMs~~

TW ROMs
1. JellyBeans from beanstown106 here For JB 4.2.2 N110 wifi only... CMG2..
This is a great solid stock ROM. I have found it to be very stable and it has taken well to the MODs that I have used on it. I have been follow beans on my other devices and I trust and can depend on the quality of his work. Now go grab it and read the OP so you know what you are getting...
2. JellyBeans Stock 4.1.2 ROM Here EMF1. I have not used this ROM, but if your into 4.1.2 then I would suggest giving this one a try...

CM 10.2 JB 4.3

I was able to get this installed on the GT-N5110 Using the TWRP recovery and with my 64gb card with exFat.
**Sorry about any confusion... You can try and use the CWM recovery, however if it does not work flash TWRP and try it. Have a copy of each Recovery (CWM and TWRP) on your internal storage just in case you have to flash your way out of there.
**Note, cm10.2 works good, however it is still a little buggy... so not suggested as a DD. Yet, Stay Tuned! The ROm recognized my 64gb exFat card, however it was acting wonkey with some apps so Be Advised! Just use your 32gb Fat32 sdcard and you will be jammin...
Goo.im just dropped a new version of Gapps for JB 4.3 You will need this for the CM 10.2 ROMS!!!!

1. CM 10.2 Jelly Bean 4.3... BIG Thanks to sbrissen for getting this up for us over here in Note 8 Land. This is a build for GT-N5110. Remember if you want to use any other of the apps mods or tweaks with it, Go to the OP for the MOD or thingy and make sure that it is compatible with JB 4.3

Kernels
I am on Stock for now. I am running JB 4.2.2 and I have not heard of any other than stock that do support exFat. (microSD 64gb native formatting)

MODS Don't Forget to Back Up

1. xposed framework This works well for this ROM.
** Go to the Downloads section from within the Xposed app and look through them for the Mods that are designed for TouchWiz Roms...
example, you open up app settings go to gmail, set the dpi to 160 & screen (dp): 1000x1600
I did this for System settings as well and they look nice. Play around with it and we can build on it...
** Note I have attached a disabler for the Xposed framework in case you get into a boot loop or something else that is awful... Just flash via Recovery and you should be well again...
1a. Within the xposed frame work, you can go to the download section. Look for XBlast tools and or Wanam Xposed mods. These will give you all of the freedom to tweak the UI with out having to flash any mods. I have this running on several devices and they are excellent.

2. Audio Mods
Go here for Viper Audio. this is sweet and it really pumps up the sound on your device... Read the instructions carefully and you will be fine... I installed the "XHiFi version v2.1.0.2:" version.. This is your processor option ("CortexA9/15 with NEON") when installing, I am not saying that my option is optimal, but it works well for me. Let me know if you give it a shot... update 8/4... I just added FX version as well. The 2 together are very nice... I highly suggest this if you like your music..

3.Floating Windows Note 8 Mode Switcher I love this little app. It is great, it give you Floating windows & a easy way to switch between tablet mode and phablet mode. It works very well and is super easy to install and get going. I highly recommend this application. jump on over and read the OP and get the floating multiwindows going!
--addons for this I highly recommend
3a. Multi-Window Manager so you can add all of the application you want to multi-window. If you like the application buy the Pro version. I did and I love it...
You also going to want to get a different launcher,look around the Play store and find one that you like. Most have a free version to try before you buy. I personally use Nova Pro... Go check it out, It is really smooth with the higher dpi setting you get from the Note 8 Mode switcher

We've Got PIE!!!
4. LMT Launcher (PIE Controls) Thanks to noname81 for developing this awesome app for us to use. I have successfully installed v 1.9.1.2. Just grab the apk, install and you're off! no rebooting just install and PIE, PIE, PIE!!!!
You get PIE controls, ISAS & Gesture controls.. Very Nice... Read the OP all of the info for the goodness you want with a Stock ROM...

Apps or APKS

1. Link to the Google Edition 4.3 Camera This works I have it installed. and it is pretty sweet. (even on a 5mp Camera)
2. If you need a 3-way reboot menu, there is an excellent app here for that... [Holo Reboot]
3. AirDroid find it on Google Play: Here is a cool little app that let you connect to your PC wireless. You can do all kinds of stuff with this app, transfer files, rip apk's from your device, screen shots, activate camera remotely, explore it and let me know your findings. There is a paid subscription or free version.

Must Have Apps for a Rooted Device... As Always, if you like the app, buy the Pro version and show support to the dev!
0. SuperSU https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&hl=en, Buy the Pro version...
1. Busy Box https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox&hl=en
2. Titanium Backup https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&hl=en
The Next 2 apps I find are essential if you like to have frequent back ups but don't like to boot into recovery often. Check them out!
3. Online Nandroid Back up https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h3r3t1c.onnandbup&hl=en
4. Nandroid Manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h3r3t1c.bkrestore&hl=en
5. GPS Updater https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.bars.qagps&hl=en
6. Faster GPS https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fastergps&hl=en
7. Nova Launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en
8. ES File Explorer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en
NEW 8/16 9. Here is Focal The New Jelly Bean 4.3 camera app. I have this installed and it works very nicely...:good:
NEW 8/16 10. We have the new MOTO X camera app. Check them out!!! look in attachments for the app to D/L...!:good:
*** more to come...

***Foot Note 8***

Anything else? Please add below to add to list...

This is for collaboration not trolling. If you support then post, if you don't then no need to reply.
Thx

If you found something new or you like what you see, Hit thanks for your support!

Attachments

• AppSettings_0.4.apk
    72.4 KB · Views: 386
  • Xposed-Disabler-CWM.zip
    121.2 KB · Views: 241
  • Screenshot_2013-07-28-23-29-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-07-28-23-29-17.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 8,437
  • Screenshot_2013-08-03-15-51-56.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-08-03-15-51-56.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 8,372
  • pieControlsSS.jpg
    pieControlsSS.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 7,928
  • MotCamera_AndroidPolice.com.3.0.187.apk
    1.3 MB · Views: 624
Last edited:

Slipurson

Feb 25, 2011
Fagersta
I installed 4.2.2 (N5120XXCMG7) with the help of Mobile Odin,

But if you are on 4.1.2 and no Root this is how you get 4.2.2 and Root in just 34 easy steps :p
This will be for GT-N5120 the LTE version only.

READ THE WHOLE THING ONCE BEFORE YOU START!
Also thanks to Chainfire, Sammobile and Clockworkmod

All this was done with Windows 8.1, no compatibility-mode for Odin or anything like that

If you are already on a rooted 4.1.2, you could start at step 14. (or step 22 if you dont need to do a nand-backup)

00. Firstly download the firmware from Sammobile, this takes some time if you do not have an hotfileaccount so do this first

01. Download Chainfire's CF-Auto-Root-konalte-konaltexx-gtn5120.zip with included Odin (Here)

02. Download Clockworkmod's CWM Recovery (here) This will be used to make a backup of your Note 8.0

03. Download Odin 3.07 (from here)

04. Install Samsungs USB-drivers (found here)

05. Unpack the CF-Auto-Root-konalte-konaltexx-gtn5120.zip-file somewhere on your computer, so that you can find the files easily.

06. Turn off your Note 8 and start it with holding volume down and power to get to download mode.

07. Press Volume Up to get start download mode, and connect the USB-Cable to your computer, let the drivers install

08. Start Odin 1.85 from the folder where you extraced the CF-Auto-Root-konalte-konaltexx-gtn5120.zip.

09. When the Square at ID:COM say something like 0:[COM7] on a yellow background and Messagebox says ADDED!! you are good to go.

10. Click on the PDA button and browse for the file 5. CF-Auto-Root-konalte-konaltexx-gtn5120.tar.md5 (.md5 might not be visible to you)

11. Now click Start and wait for Odin to flash rooted kernel and reboot your device.

12. You now have a rooted 4.1.2-device

13. Close Odin on your computer

14. Shut down and start the Note in Download mode again (volume down and power, then volume up)

15. Unpack Odin3.07.zip to some good place on your computer

16. Start Odin 3.07 and connect your Note to the computer

17. Click the PDA button and choose the RecoveryCWM6.03.2-GT-N5120.tar-file you downloaded earlier.

18. Click Start and wait for Odin to flash recovery, then reboot your Note 8.0

19. Shut down and unplug the Note.

20. Start the Note into recoverymode by holding Volume Up and then pressing power until it boots,

21. Once in recovery, choose backup and restore and then backup to external SD-Card (if possible, else backup to internal)

22. When backup is done (might take some time), reboot the Note, go to playstore and buy Odin (there is a free version here on XDA)

23. Plug in the Note to the computer and unpack and copy the 4.2.2 firmware to SD-Card.

24. Optionally you could here install Titanium Backup or Helium to backup your apps and games since i suggest you wipe your data later. If you dont have any progress you want to save then you could skip this step.

25. Start Mobile Odin, accept root-permission and let it download the flashkernel.

26. When Mobile Odin is done downloading, select Open file..

27. Select external, browse to and select the 4.2.2 frimware (N5120XXCMG7)

28. I suggest that, if you do not live in the UK, touch the Modem-selection in Mobile Odin and choose Clear to not flash the new modem (for me LTE didnt work when i flashed the new modem)

29. Make sure Enable Everroot, Inject SuperUser and Inject Mobile odin are selected.

30. I suggest you also check Wipe Data/Cache and Wipe Dalvik also (this deletes all your data on the device)

31. Touch Flash and to make sure the downloaded file is correct, let it do the MD5-check

32. Let Mobile Odin work (will reboot twice) and you should soon be booted and get to do the setup of your new and improved Note 8.0 with 4.2.2 in all its Samsungy Glory :)

33. If you do not like the bloatware from samsung, just install Titanium Backup and Freeze any unwanted applications.

The backup we did earlier with CWM Recovery, needs a Working CWM for 4.2.2 incase you want to revert back to 4.1.2. I am not sure if the CWM-Recovery we downloaded earlier works with 4.2.2 as i havnt tested (i havnt done any backup even tho i tell everyone to do so).

Last edited:

Bizack

May 1, 2013
Las Vegas
www.vaporbeast.com
I definitely think it's an awesome idea

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Sounds like a really good idea,

I went and bought me a 4G-version and there isnt much to flash yet, sadly.

Great idea and it will be very useful to me as I just got a new Note 8. Thanks very much.

I have a few things up now. Let me know what else you find...

macgyver40

Nov 10, 2010
I also just got my note 8, tried to do the framaroot root but it failed. I also noticed this morning that when I checked for an ota update the server wouldn't connect. Looks like the LTE version is getting 4.2.2 today. I want 4.2.2 an will wait for official. Then I am rooting an will post how etc here.

Oh will post if I update to 4.2.2 also.

I have mobile odin I bought with the 25 samsung gave, I will mess around with it once I get root (don't have pc) and see how it works for the note 8.0.

I use cromi on a transformer pad an would love to see it here. Can't wait to see what custom roms an mods/tweaks come out for the awesome tablet.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk HD

Bizack

May 1, 2013
Las Vegas
www.vaporbeast.com
I also just got my note 8, tried to do the framaroot root but it failed. I also noticed this morning that when I checked for an ota update the server wouldn't connect. Looks like the LTE version is getting 4.2.2 today. I want 4.2.2 an will wait for official. Then I am rooting an will post how etc here.

Oh will post if I update to 4.2.2 also.

I have mobile odin I bought with the 25 samsung gave, I will mess around with it once I get root (don't have pc) and see how it works for the note 8.0.

I use cromi on a transformer pad an would love to see it here. Can't wait to see what custom roms an mods/tweaks come out for the awesome tablet.

Macgyver!
You should be able to root your tablet with a calculator, duct tape and a paperclip... Right? Your da Man!
Let me know how this turns out....!

Reactions: joani_78

macgyver40

Nov 10, 2010
Macgyver!
You should be able to root your tablet with a calculator, duct tape and a paperclip... Right? Your da Man!
Let me know how this turns out....!

I wish I was that good. LOL. I should be rooted tomorrow then going to mess wround with M-odin an see what I can do

macgyver40

Nov 10, 2010
Dont update to the 4.2.2 i am not sure if you can root that yet once installed ota...

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 2

I have read other places that people have used mobile odin to update with the leaked version and kept root. I am waiting for official then rooting etc.

sent from Galaxy Note 8.0 GT-5110 16GB

janjannsen99

Jan 6, 2013
I recommend this thread be stickied. fullllllll of great info and would be a shame for it to go to the depths of the xda abyss

Slipurson

Feb 25, 2011
Fagersta

But if you are on 4.1.2 and no Root this is how you get 4.2.2 and Root in just 34 easy steps :p

Moved to first page (Here) post number 4

Last edited:
Reactions: Bizack

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Who NEeds Help To get to KitKat?

If you are already Rooted..... Go here to Civ.'s thread and you can flash his rom and get the Kernel while you are there.
    All of the instructions are in the threads. They are as close to perfect as we can get.
    **as of 6/18/2014 after flashing I would keep checking back until you see that the issues are all resolved and pay attention tothe threads and read, read read, read them and make a back up before you do anything....

Good Luck With Kit Kat!!!

If you are not currently rooted, please send me a note or make a post and we can figure out where you are and what you can do to get rooted.

Please Make Sure that you know what your firmware is BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING LISTED BELOW!! basically, you need to know what you are doing before you start.
    We have KitKat OTA out there so if you use any of the Jelly Bean Stuff you can BRICK your device.. Take HEED!!!!

First and foremost I take No responsibility for anything that happens to your Tablet, Phone. Rooting will invalidate you warranty, so do so at your own Risk. If you make a brick, paper weight or anything else out of your phone, Tablet, Phablet, I take NO responsibility.
    I take NO credit for anything that has been developed, I am simply putting things in one place for all of us to find easier.

Jelly Bean Stuff Only Below!!!! Make sure that you know what version Rom you are on!!!!
    (Have you taken Heed?)

Take a Stock ROM and Make it Customized...!
    :p:silly:

If you are new here, This is a nice Glossary of Terms put up by droidstyle and created by Jawman27 , Big thanks to them for setting this up...

Most everything I have found is pretty east to do for even the most novice of users. There are a few things that will cause anxiety, but what I have found it that most of the dev's are really good at listing instructions on how to use the magic they have so freely given. Read, Read and Read again till you understand the instructions...!
    If you don't understand ask questions in the OP's thread and I am sure that the dev or others in the thread will give you sound advice and clear up any misconceptions. If you ask your questions here I will do my best to answer, but you are always going to find the most relevant information in the Thread of the OP. This is a Thread for you to see what is available out in the world...

With that being said I am setting up this thread here in this forum because there are slim pickins around here and we have a ton of stuff available to use that most are not aware of in the Galaxy Note 8 world. Some of what I have found that works here on the Note 8 (5110) I found in Other forums for other devices. Lot's of things are Compatible, some are not. Remember to choose wisely if you did not see it here in this thread and you don't know if it works.
    I can only speak to the GT-N5110 because I own this device. Once others with Other Devices post with success stories then I can say that this will work with them.

If you found something that works that didn't come from the Galaxy Note 8 Forum, Post it and give a little instruction on what you have done that might differ from the OP from which it came. If it does come from this neck of the woods then post it with a link to the op and I will incorporate it in the the OP if it makes since.
    Please don't rewrite the instructions here, If you are not the developer then let them speak for themselves. Post a link to the OP

Everything I post here in the OP I have tried and have succeeded in doing... Please if you succeed then post we want to here about success and if you have a failure so we can look at what happened and make sure that I/we all understand what is going on...

And we're off! ( Please note that these lists are never complete. this is a work in progress, so if you find something add it so we all can benefit from it. )

ROOT
    How to Root your new device.
    This is what I used initially...
    I used Chainfire's thread located here in the Galaxy Note 8 Original Android Development Section. Chainfire is the Man, many props for all of his hard work. Buy his apps if you use them and like them... I did!

We also have mskip Galaxy Note 8 Toolbox. I use this applicaiton. I paid for the premium version because it is a way to give back to these guys for their hard work. If you use it and love it pay for it... (I did.)
    Take a look, read the OP, re-read the OP and when you get back let us know how you did, what you did when you did it...

**New Update 8/6 Here is a New Root Process for the GT-N5120. This was put together by Slipurson. Check out his post. This was done with a Windows 8.1 PC with out running in compatibility mode, so keep that in mind if you are using a different version. This will be for GT-N5120 the LTE version only. Big thanks to Slipurson for your work on this!

Follow Directions carefully and you will come out with a rooted device!

UNROOT
    I found out a few things about the process when you UNroot. I just had to unroot my Note 8 and put it back to bone stock...
    Now If you have to do this, I would suggest going to SuperSU > Settings > Uninstall for UNRoot. If you do not do this and use Odin to flash back to a completely stock Rom. you might get your self into a bootloop... Not a tasty cereal, just a frustrating issue that will cause some slight irritation...
    If you find yourself in a boot loop after doing what I just suggested not to do then You will want to flash Chainfire's CF AutoRoot. If you have any questions, please hit me up first before you make a brick!

Here is the only method that I have found so far. Big thanks to janjannsen99 for getting this together. THis will take you back to the original version 4.1.2. As soon as we get the next release 4.2.2 I will post a link to it.
    ** Note** If you need help above and beyond what is in janjannsen99 thread, post it up and I will see what we can accomplish...

Recoveries I back up after I back up and then I back up twice! (credit 2 Sublime)
    Look in the Original Android Development you have a few to choose from.
    Some like TWRP some like CWM. It is wise to have access to both, some roms or other flashables may be dependent on which recovery that you use. So remember to read the OP and the thread of what you are about to flash and see if there is a mention about it. If no mention then I wouldn't worry to much about it. Just as a rule of thumb make sure you have a nandroid back up before you flash anything...

1. here is a link for TWRP. Thank you to emwno for his work on bringing this together. Please read the OP in his thread... I use this and have had no issues...

2. Go Here for CWM. Thank you to emwno for his work on bringing this together as well...

Stock ROMs~~

TW ROMs
    1. JellyBeans from beanstown106 here For JB 4.2.2 N110 wifi only... CMG2..
    This is a great solid stock ROM. I have found it to be very stable and it has taken well to the MODs that I have used on it. I have been follow beans on my other devices and I trust and can depend on the quality of his work. Now go grab it and read the OP so you know what you are getting...
    2. JellyBeans Stock 4.1.2 ROM Here EMF1. I have not used this ROM, but if your into 4.1.2 then I would suggest giving this one a try...

CM 10.2 JB 4.3

I was able to get this installed on the GT-N5110 Using the TWRP recovery and with my 64gb card with exFat.
    **Sorry about any confusion... You can try and use the CWM recovery, however if it does not work flash TWRP and try it. Have a copy of each Recovery (CWM and TWRP) on your internal storage just in case you have to flash your way out of there.
    **Note, cm10.2 works good, however it is still a little buggy... so not suggested as a DD. Yet, Stay Tuned! The ROm recognized my 64gb exFat card, however it was acting wonkey with some apps so Be Advised! Just use your 32gb Fat32 sdcard and you will be jammin...
    Goo.im just dropped a new version of Gapps for JB 4.3 You will need this for the CM 10.2 ROMS!!!!

1. CM 10.2 Jelly Bean 4.3... BIG Thanks to sbrissen for getting this up for us over here in Note 8 Land. This is a build for GT-N5110. Remember if you want to use any other of the apps mods or tweaks with it, Go to the OP for the MOD or thingy and make sure that it is compatible with JB 4.3

Kernels
    I am on Stock for now. I am running JB 4.2.2 and I have not heard of any other than stock that do support exFat. (microSD 64gb native formatting)

MODS Don't Forget to Back Up

1. xposed framework This works well for this ROM.
    ** Go to the Downloads section from within the Xposed app and look through them for the Mods that are designed for TouchWiz Roms...
    example, you open up app settings go to gmail, set the dpi to 160 & screen (dp): 1000x1600
    I did this for System settings as well and they look nice. Play around with it and we can build on it...
    ** Note I have attached a disabler for the Xposed framework in case you get into a boot loop or something else that is awful... Just flash via Recovery and you should be well again...
    1a. Within the xposed frame work, you can go to the download section. Look for XBlast tools and or Wanam Xposed mods. These will give you all of the freedom to tweak the UI with out having to flash any mods. I have this running on several devices and they are excellent.

2. Audio Mods
    Go here for Viper Audio. this is sweet and it really pumps up the sound on your device... Read the instructions carefully and you will be fine... I installed the "XHiFi version v2.1.0.2:" version.. This is your processor option ("CortexA9/15 with NEON") when installing, I am not saying that my option is optimal, but it works well for me. Let me know if you give it a shot... update 8/4... I just added FX version as well. The 2 together are very nice... I highly suggest this if you like your music..

3.Floating Windows Note 8 Mode Switcher I love this little app. It is great, it give you Floating windows & a easy way to switch between tablet mode and phablet mode. It works very well and is super easy to install and get going. I highly recommend this application. jump on over and read the OP and get the floating multiwindows going!
    --addons for this I highly recommend
    3a. Multi-Window Manager so you can add all of the application you want to multi-window. If you like the application buy the Pro version. I did and I love it...
    You also going to want to get a different launcher,look around the Play store and find one that you like. Most have a free version to try before you buy. I personally use Nova Pro... Go check it out, It is really smooth with the higher dpi setting you get from the Note 8 Mode switcher

We've Got PIE!!!
    4. LMT Launcher (PIE Controls) Thanks to noname81 for developing this awesome app for us to use. I have successfully installed v 1.9.1.2. Just grab the apk, install and you're off! no rebooting just install and PIE, PIE, PIE!!!!
    You get PIE controls, ISAS & Gesture controls.. Very Nice... Read the OP all of the info for the goodness you want with a Stock ROM...

Apps or APKS

1. Link to the Google Edition 4.3 Camera This works I have it installed. and it is pretty sweet. (even on a 5mp Camera)
    2. If you need a 3-way reboot menu, there is an excellent app here for that... [Holo Reboot]
    3. AirDroid find it on Google Play: Here is a cool little app that let you connect to your PC wireless. You can do all kinds of stuff with this app, transfer files, rip apk's from your device, screen shots, activate camera remotely, explore it and let me know your findings. There is a paid subscription or free version.

Must Have Apps for a Rooted Device... As Always, if you like the app, buy the Pro version and show support to the dev!
    0. SuperSU https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.supersu&hl=en, Buy the Pro version...
    1. Busy Box https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=stericson.busybox&hl=en
    2. Titanium Backup https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup&hl=en
    The Next 2 apps I find are essential if you like to have frequent back ups but don't like to boot into recovery often. Check them out!
    3. Online Nandroid Back up https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h3r3t1c.onnandbup&hl=en
    4. Nandroid Manager https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.h3r3t1c.bkrestore&hl=en
    5. GPS Updater https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ru.bars.qagps&hl=en
    6. Faster GPS https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.fastergps&hl=en
    7. Nova Launcher https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher&hl=en
    8. ES File Explorer https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en
    NEW 8/16 9. Here is Focal The New Jelly Bean 4.3 camera app. I have this installed and it works very nicely...:good:
    NEW 8/16 10. We have the new MOTO X camera app. Check them out!!! look in attachments for the app to D/L...!:good:
    *** more to come...

***Foot Note 8***

Anything else? Please add below to add to list...

This is for collaboration not trolling. If you support then post, if you don't then no need to reply.
    Thx

If you found something new or you like what you see, Hit thanks for your support!

READ THE WHOLE THING ONCE BEFORE YOU START!
    Also thanks to Chainfire, Sammobile and Clockworkmod

All this was done with Windows 8.1, no compatibility-mode for Odin or anything like that

If you are already on a rooted 4.1.2, you could start at step 14. (or step 22 if you dont need to do a nand-backup)

00. Firstly download the firmware from Sammobile, this takes some time if you do not have an hotfileaccount so do this first

01. Download Chainfire's CF-Auto-Root-konalte-konaltexx-gtn5120.zip with included Odin (Here)

02. Download Clockworkmod's CWM Recovery (here) This will be used to make a backup of your Note 8.0

03. Download Odin 3.07 (from here)

04. Install Samsungs USB-drivers (found here)

05. Unpack the CF-Auto-Root-konalte-konaltexx-gtn5120.zip-file somewhere on your computer, so that you can find the files easily.

06. Turn off your Note 8 and start it with holding volume down and power to get to download mode.

07. Press Volume Up to get start download mode, and connect the USB-Cable to your computer, let the drivers install

08. Start Odin 1.85 from the folder where you extraced the CF-Auto-Root-konalte-konaltexx-gtn5120.zip.

09. When the Square at ID:COM say something like 0:[COM7] on a yellow background and Messagebox says ADDED!! you are good to go.

10. Click on the PDA button and browse for the file 5. CF-Auto-Root-konalte-konaltexx-gtn5120.tar.md5 (.md5 might not be visible to you)

11. Now click Start and wait for Odin to flash rooted kernel and reboot your device.

12. You now have a rooted 4.1.2-device

13. Close Odin on your computer

14. Shut down and start the Note in Download mode again (volume down and power, then volume up)

15. Unpack Odin3.07.zip to some good place on your computer

16. Start Odin 3.07 and connect your Note to the computer

17. Click the PDA button and choose the RecoveryCWM6.03.2-GT-N5120.tar-file you downloaded earlier.

18. Click Start and wait for Odin to flash recovery, then reboot your Note 8.0

19. Shut down and unplug the Note.

20. Start the Note into recoverymode by holding Volume Up and then pressing power until it boots,

21. Once in recovery, choose backup and restore and then backup to external SD-Card (if possible, else backup to internal)

22. When backup is done (might take some time), reboot the Note, go to playstore and buy Odin (there is a free version here on XDA)

23. Plug in the Note to the computer and unpack and copy the 4.2.2 firmware to SD-Card.

24. Optionally you could here install Titanium Backup or Helium to backup your apps and games since i suggest you wipe your data later. If you dont have any progress you want to save then you could skip this step.

25. Start Mobile Odin, accept root-permission and let it download the flashkernel.

26. When Mobile Odin is done downloading, select Open file..

27. Select external, browse to and select the 4.2.2 frimware (N5120XXCMG7)

28. I suggest that, if you do not live in the UK, touch the Modem-selection in Mobile Odin and choose Clear to not flash the new modem (for me LTE didnt work when i flashed the new modem)

29. Make sure Enable Everroot, Inject SuperUser and Inject Mobile odin are selected.

30. I suggest you also check Wipe Data/Cache and Wipe Dalvik also (this deletes all your data on the device)

31. Touch Flash and to make sure the downloaded file is correct, let it do the MD5-check

32. Let Mobile Odin work (will reboot twice) and you should soon be booted and get to do the setup of your new and improved Note 8.0 with 4.2.2 in all its Samsungy Glory :)

33. If you do not like the bloatware from samsung, just install Titanium Backup and Freeze any unwanted applications.

The backup we did earlier with CWM Recovery, needs a Working CWM for 4.2.2 incase you want to revert back to 4.1.2. I am not sure if the CWM-Recovery we downloaded earlier works with 4.2.2 as i havnt tested (i havnt done any backup even tho i tell everyone to do so).

Give me FoxPro for Android and life might be perfect again. But then I might need to do real work again and I might just be too old for that headache again! :)

Sent from my Samsung Note 8.0 in Tapatalk HD

My codingskills started and ended with Basic quite a few years ago, no fancy "visual studios" there just pure text and nothing else :)

Well I also do some HTML/Java/Php nowadays but i don't consider them coding languages as such :)

Also I did this little simple "mod" just to make me feel alittle more powerful each time i use the device :)

Downloaded the sounds from this thread.

Sent from Galaxy no. N5120 via the LTE-network
    so who has done what with yer note 8??????

I have flashed 4.2.2 and rooted, bought a flipcover (with magnet to lock screen when closed), a carholder, a spare S-Pen and a screenprotector :)

I use the tablet alot tho, mostly at work and thats the main reason for not having alot of firmwaremodding and hocus pocus, since i cant have the device lock up or not work properly during a meeting while taking notes or smth.

Second reason for not having done alot of modding is cuz there aren't much for the N5120 :p
    Really like the Quick Command feature. I don't find many people discussing this feature. I just explored it this AM. d have to say with judicious use it's a fantastic feature. I envision as I refine the gestures I'll be able to really cleanup my desktop screens a great deal. I really like having fast access to my most used nappes and setting no matter what I doing on my device.

So give it a try ya might have a new favorite device feature.

Sent from my Samsung Note 8.0 in Tapatalk HD