Boost Mobile Variant of Galaxy S3

Tip us?

Vanilla Bean
Old
(Last edited by Vanilla Bean; 14th December 2013 at 11:45 PM.) Reason: typo
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsingle76 View Post
No need to pay, lol. And I have a MK5 Boost build either deodexed or odexed, and if your friend is coming from MOAR, he'll need to do a full wipe before flashing. And if you follow the OP to the letter, in the right order, I am certain everything will work. Here's the link. It's been working fine for me since I built it, zero issues. Also, whatever you do, do not let your friend do the OTA 4.3 update, it'll install Knox Bootloader and that'll suck for him/her. Enjoy, and post in the ROM thread if you have any issues, but if you read through the thread, you'll most likely find the answer to all issues that people have had. Good luck, and enjoy

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2546505
Hey JD, I got my new GS3 at exactly the perfect time to step in the Knox trap! The phone did an update to 4.3 before I knew any better. I found out after I rooted it using the Team Epic kit. It installed the recovery but I get the popup that "Superuser has stopped" so I'm not really rooted. I tried flashing Philz Touch Recovery and I tried installing SuperSU. So, I have a pretty-looking recovery but still no recovery [meant root]. I'm next going to follow the link you put in above to read more about Knox. Not sure yet if it's a link I already looked at. One post I read said to just open a file manager as admini and rename the Knox files. Without root, there's no opening as admin! It's a catch22 I need to get around.

When I finally get rooted properly, are either of your Boost ROMs doing wifi tether yet? Thanks for all your work on the Boost front!

jdsingle76
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
Hey JD, I got my new GS3 at exactly the perfect time to step in the Knox trap! The phone did an update to 4.3 before I knew any better. I found out after I rooted it using the Team Epic kit. It installed the recovery but I get the popup that "Superuser has stopped" so I'm not really rooted. I tried flashing Philz Touch Recovery and I tried installing SuperSU. So, I have a pretty-looking recovery but still no recovery [meant root]. I'm next going to follow the link you put in above to read more about Knox. Not sure yet if it's a link I already looked at. One post I read said to just open a file manager as admini and rename the Knox files. Without root, there's no opening as admin! It's a catch22 I need to get around.

When I finally get rooted properly, are either of your Boost ROMs doing wifi tether yet? Thanks for all your work on the Boost front!
Philz recovery and flashing supersu from the website, not the play store, is the way to go. And there's a paid app that works for Boost wifi tether. It's somewhere. I posted it in my thread a few pages in. 2 bucks but works great. Good luck!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

joeyhdownsouth
Old
Thanks Meter 131
I just caught hell with my buddies boost gs3, flashed modified TWRP recovery, works perfect, 4.3 Roms on boost cause more problems than their worth. My binary up to 7. Learning experience for me

sent from my GS3
LG G2(Sprint)-stock for now
Motorola Moto G(unlocked)-ROM/KERNEL:Pac-Man AIO-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM/KERNEL:AOSB-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Galaxy S3(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:AOSB-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced

jdsingle76
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyhdownsouth View Post
I just caught hell with my buddies boost gs3, flashed modified TWRP recovery, works perfect, 4.3 Roms on boost cause more problems than their worth. My binary up to 7. Learning experience for me

sent from my GS3
I have had the MK5 build I made on my phone for a month or so, and have had zero issues...

The Following User Says Thank You to jdsingle76 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

joeyhdownsouth
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
I have had the MK5 build I made on my phone for a month or so, and have had zero issues...

No dropped data?
LG G2(Sprint)-stock for now
Motorola Moto G(unlocked)-ROM/KERNEL:Pac-Man AIO-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Galaxy S3(Sprint)-ROM/KERNEL:AOSB-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Note 10.1-ROM/KERNEL:Hyperdrive-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced
Samsung Galaxy S3(Boost)-ROM/KERNEL:AOSB-RECOVERY:Philz CWM Advanced

freesunshine
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:

I 2nd this statement! I only had it for 2 weeks but no problem what so ever! Just follow jdsingle76's MK5 ROM as exactly as written.

Vanilla Bean
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Philz recovery and flashing supersu from the website, not the play store, is the way to go. And there's a paid app that works for Boost wifi tether. It's somewhere. I posted it in my thread a few pages in. 2 bucks but works great. Good luck!
Flashing SuperSU from recovery did get me root and disabled Knox, according to the popup screen. I haven't changed from the factory stock ROM yet but I tried the paid tether router app. So far, my computers can see it but couldn't get internet yet.

Now for the dummy question and don't take this negatively... What is different for me if I replace the stock ROM with your stock ROM? Does yours have some tweaks? More likely to have working wifi hotspot?

jdsingle76
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
Quote:
Flashing SuperSU from recovery did get me root and disabled Knox, according to the popup screen. I haven't changed from the factory stock ROM yet but I tried the paid tether router app. So far, my computers can see it but couldn't get internet yet.

Now for the dummy question and don't take this negatively... What is different for me if I replace the stock ROM with your stock ROM? Does yours have some tweaks? More likely to have working wifi hotspot?
Awesome, glad you got root working. Since you have Knox already, there's really no difference between the two, other than you can get the deodexed version of mine if you want. As far as the wifi tether, I can't speak to whether or not my build would work over the stock OTA. Did you make sure your wifi toggle was on when you clicked "enable wifi?" And follow the directions from my post exactly? Good luck! And let me know if you have anymore questions.

Vanilla Bean
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Awesome, glad you got root working. Since you have Knox already, there's really no difference between the two, other than you can get the deodexed version of mine if you want. As far as the wifi tether, I can't speak to whether or not my build would work over the stock OTA. Did you make sure your wifi toggle was on when you clicked "enable wifi?" And follow the directions from my post exactly? Good luck! And let me know if you have anymore questions.
In practice, I don't know if deodexed matters to me but I flashed your deodexed 4.3 last night anyway. Everything seems OK. After Sprint, Google, and Samsung got done doing their thing and after I shuffled everything around, it's pretty much identical to what I had before. Of course, I was hoping I'd have better luck with the wifi tether somehow but no joy. In fact, when I follow your instructions completely, including method 3, My laptop says the settings on one side or the other are incompatible. There's really nothing much on the laptop side except the WPA2-personal/AES/password. Any idea why wifi receiver should be toggled ON in the phone? (On but not connected to anything?)

jdsingle76
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316
Quote:
In practice, I don't know if deodexed matters to me but I flashed your deodexed 4.3 last night anyway. Everything seems OK. After Sprint, Google, and Samsung got done doing their thing and after I shuffled everything around, it's pretty much identical to what I had before. Of course, I was hoping I'd have better luck with the wifi tether somehow but no joy. In fact, when I follow your instructions completely, including method 3, My laptop says the settings on one side or the other are incompatible. There's really nothing much on the laptop side except the WPA2-personal/AES/password. Any idea why wifi receiver should be toggled ON in the phone? (On but not connected to anything?)
I am running the Deodexed 4.3, and the wifi tether works fine for me. Did you do the update via playstore? I know there's one available. I don't know why the wifi toggle needs to be on. That was just something I read and it works, so that's one of those instances where I hit the "I believe" button. It could be something with the software that you use to manage your laptop wifi perhaps? I use windows as the default program to handle all my network settings. However, I use Linux Mint almost exclusively these days, and it works fine over there too. I know that doesn't help you much, just spitballing here. Maybe there's an app you have that's conflicting with it? I know it works, just trying to think of reasons why it might not work for you. Good luck!