Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,743 Members 43,169 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Chromecast and new Nexus 7, YouTube issues

Tip us?

giuliastro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Chromecast and new Nexus 7, YouTube issues

Hello,
I am using Chromecast with my new Nexus 7. I have issues with YouTube, since it plays perfectly the first video I start but always timeouts on the next one I try to play. I have to disconnect and reconnect to be able to make YouTube video streaming work again.
Any ideas of what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance!

samizad
Old
Thanks Meter 70

DONATE TO ME
I haven't noticed this on my Nexus 7 (2013). I will check again tonight and will report.
Current Phone: Nexus 5 (Hammerhead) | Stock 4.4.4, Rooted, TWRP.
Previous Phones: Siemens S25 | Siemens S35 | Nokia 7110 | Nokia 7650 | HTC Himalaya | HTC Alpine | Samsung D500 | HTC Magician | Samsung I300 | HTC Artemis | HTC Kaiser | HTC Diamond | HTC Leo | Galaxy Nexus (Maguro)

ad78
Old
Thanks Meter 56
Mine is very seemless. I tried creating queue And they played all without any glitch. Check your internet connections?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

crhylove
Old
Thanks Meter 83
Thumbs down Screw Google Chromecast

Yeah, the chromecast sucks. Don't buy one. I was excited, but it just goes to a spinning circle all the damn time. A 6 minute 480p video took 25 minutes to play. That's 19 full minutes of the buffering circle.

Before you jump on my ****, I do IT for a living, it's got 2 bars, and all 10 other devices have NO issue playing youtube (on the same wifiN router), so don't go there.
The Following User Says Thank You to crhylove For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

giuliastro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Yes, that's more or less what happens to me. Resetting the device makes it work again, I assume it might be because Chromecast gets very worm, I can't find any other explanation than cheap hardware.

PcFish
Old
(Last edited by PcFish; 6th August 2013 at 01:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhylove View Post
Yeah, the chromecast sucks. Don't buy one. I was excited, but it just goes to a spinning circle all the damn time. A 6 minute 480p video took 25 minutes to play. That's 19 full minutes of the buffering circle.

Before you jump on my ****, I do IT for a living, it's got 2 bars, and all 10 other devices have NO issue playing youtube (on the same wifiN router), so don't go there.
Yeah I was disappointed that this thing didn't have an ethernet port. For wireless, I noticed it doesn't even run on 5Ghz. At least not properly, I don't think. I need the router in the same room for it to run ~smoothly

Otherwise, when my brother leaves the tv on while I'm up in my room. I play scary youtube videos with loud noises to wake him up.

TabGuy
Old
(Last edited by TabGuy; 6th August 2013 at 03:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by crhylove View Post

As an IT guy you should understand that every situation is unique. The good news is that there's almost always a solution. The times when problems can't be solved are rare. I would encourage you to look at other avenues to solve this so you can help others when they need it. Your blanket statement that it's a bad product and doesn't work simply isn't the norm. Most experience the opposite of you.

I did have problems with my Actiontec router but found a solution. My daughter, who also has an Actiontec router in her condo just plugged it in and it worked. She's a doctor and, believe me, her technical skills are not that great. It just worked for her. Another daughter of mine, a school teacher, had the plug and play experience also. Just works.

Like you, I work in IT. I manage 80 IT folks. The one thing I stress on my staff is a little message that a Calculus professor used to tell us when I was an undergrad at UCLA: "There are so many ways to solve the problem you can't help but get the right answer." So, I challenge you to keep trying and don't give up. I'm sure there's a solution for you. Once you find that solution your skills will have been enhanced and you'll be better able to help others that come here with similar problems.

Good luck
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TabGuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

altimax98
Old
Thanks Meter 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by giuliastro View Post
Hello,
I am using Chromecast with my new Nexus 7. I have issues with YouTube, since it plays perfectly the first video I start but always timeouts on the next one I try to play. I have to disconnect and reconnect to be able to make YouTube video streaming work again.
Any ideas of what might be the problem?

Thanks in advance!
This appears to be a glitch not resulting from any sort of connection. The issue isn't signal but some sort of failure in the code. What happens is it plays a video, goes to queue up the next one, shows the banner and dies. A fix is to toggle the app to play on the device and then back to the TV but it clears your queue which is annoying. Once its toggled it immediately plays for me.

Hoping they fix it soon. But it isn't a deal breaker by any means.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
Phones:
  • Motorola Q, Motorola Q9C, Samsung Omnia, Motorola Droid,
  • HTC Incredible, HTC Thunderbolt, Droid RAZR, Toro, Maguro, HTC One, Note 3
  • Nexus 5, Galaxy S5, HTC One (M8)
Tablets/Other:
  • B&N Nook Color, HP Touchpad, iPad(2012),Nexus7 (12 & 13), Nexus 10, Toshiba Chromebook

giuliastro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Yes, by switching device / tv then video plays. I really hope it's some coding bug and not heating related, since code fan be fixed.

crhylove
Old
(Last edited by crhylove; 8th August 2013 at 11:28 PM.) Reason: Additional info.
Thanks Meter 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
As an IT guy you should understand that every situation is unique. The good news is that there's almost always a solution. The times when problems can't be solved are rare. I would encourage you to look at other avenues to solve this so you can help others when they need it. Your blanket statement that it's a bad product and doesn't work simply isn't the norm. Most experience the opposite of you.

I did have problems with my Actiontec router but found a solution. My daughter, who also has an Actiontec router in her condo just plugged it in and it worked. She's a doctor and, believe me, her technical skills are not that great. It just worked for her. Another daughter of mine, a school teacher, had the plug and play experience also. Just works.

Like you, I work in IT. I manage 80 IT folks. The one thing I stress on my staff is a little message that a Calculus professor used to tell us when I was an undergrad at UCLA: "There are so many ways to solve the problem you can't help but get the right answer." So, I challenge you to keep trying and don't give up. I'm sure there's a solution for you. Once you find that solution your skills will have been enhanced and you'll be better able to help others that come here with similar problems.

Good luck
Every IT situation is unique, sure. But this device can't keep from constantly buffering even at 480p. It's ridiculous. And no, it's not the router. I have 5 android phones, 3 laptops, and 2 android tablets that all play youtube without EVER stopping in the middle of the video, and most of them at 1080p. 2 of those phones are really old ones (model escapes me at the moment, I don't use them much these days). It's the device. It's not either of my routers, it's not my 30mb down connection, and it's certainly not user error or network congestion. Probably the NSA backdoor google installed in it is slowing it down.

F Google, and F this broken crap device.

Oh, and additionally it can't play side loaded songs from my phone in Google Play music. It can't even stream an mp3 WITH NO VIDEO. This is not just bad hardware, this is outright crap design.