5,597,198 Members 43,349 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[XAP][SOURCE] WP8 Registry Tools

Tip us?

snickler
Old
(Last edited by snickler; 18th August 2013 at 11:45 PM.)
Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 372

DONATE TO ME
Default [XAP][SOURCE] WP8 Registry Tools

Rebranded to WP8 Registry Tools from Lumia Registry Modifier

This is a basic registry viewer/editor demonstration using Registry dlls pulled from Nokia xaps within the latest FFUs.

First, a few things to note.

1) This only retrieves values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
2) It CAN read DWORD values now, but can't write. (Hell you probably won't be able to write ANYWHERE, but the code is there)

Instructions are quite simple.

To Read Values:

1) Put the Registry key in the first box (ex. SOFTWARE\Classes\MIME\Database\Codepage\1254
2) Put the Registry Value in the second box (ex. 1254)
3) Press Get Value.

To Set Values:

1) Put the Registry key in the first box (ex. SOFTWARE\Classes\MIME\Database\Codepage\1254
3) Put the new registry value result in the Set Value box.
4) Press Set Value.

This is very very basic, but I wanted to just show off something using what Nokia has provided us.

We can't write dword values unfortunately so hopes of using this to change the MaxUnsignedApp value are lost. This MAY be possible with @GoodDayToDie 's WP8NativeAccess library, but with this it isn't.

In case everyone wondered what that key is... SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DeviceReg\Install

Side load away
Attached Files
File Type: xap WP8RegistryToolsv1.1.xap - [Click for QR Code] (201.5 KB, 4045 views)
File Type: rar WP8RegistryToolsv1.1-Source.rar - [Click for QR Code] (397.2 KB, 1889 views)
My Apps:
R1ng3d | CloudMuzik V1.5 Now in the MarketPlace for both WP7 and WP8
My Projects and Contributions:
WP8 Registry Tools | Async Wrapper for WP7 Root Tools SDK
My Phones:
Lumia 920 - (Black Update) / Focus v1.3 (7.8 via Dynamics ROM)
Contact
twitter: @sinclairinator | fb for: CloudMuzik | Skype: jsinnie

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to snickler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2473
Hmm... I get Access Denied in my library on most keys that I've tried to write. If you can write the codepage, that's interesting (generally speaking, HKLM has stronger protections). I'll double-check whether I can write there myself. If not, but you can, then we have an elevated privilege attack vector...

Also, we should see whether the app runs on non-Nokia devices. I suspect that it will, if it works the way I think it does, but in that case it also won't have much in the way of permissions.

Getting DWORDs to work is a good project, I'm sure it's possible (works fine in NativeAccess, incidentally).

EDIT: Any chance you could include the source?
Win8/Windows RT projects:
List of desktop apps for hacked RT devices

WP8 projects:
Native Access WebServer and Libraries
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aclegg2011
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickler View Post
This is a basic registry viewer/editor demonstration using Nokia's Native Registry dll pulled from one of their apps.

First, a few things to note.

1) This only retrieves values from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
2) DWord values aren't supported.

Instructions are quite simple.

To Read Values:

3) Press Get Value.

To Set Values:

3) Put the new registry value result in the Set Value box.
4) Press Set Value.

This is very very basic, but I wanted to just show off something using what Nokia has provided us.

This doesn't seem to work with dword values unfortunately so hopes of using this to change the MaxUnsignedApp value are lost. This MAY be possible with @GoodDayToDie 's WP8NativeAccess library, but with this it isn't.

In case everyone wondered what that key is... SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DeviceReg\Install

Side load away
atleast its a start.

snickler
Old
(Last edited by snickler; 6th August 2013 at 11:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 372

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
Hmm... I get Access Denied in my library on most keys that I've tried to write. If you can write the codepage, that's interesting (generally speaking, HKLM has stronger protections). I'll double-check whether I can write there myself. If not, but you can, then we have an elevated privilege attack vector...

Also, we should see whether the app runs on non-Nokia devices. I suspect that it will, if it works the way I think it does, but in that case it also won't have much in the way of permissions.

Getting DWORDs to work is a good project, I'm sure it's possible (works fine in NativeAccess, incidentally).

EDIT: Any chance you could include the source?
ah yes, sorry about that. Let me load up my laptop

EDIT: Source added.
My Apps:
My Phones:
Contact

The Following User Says Thank You to snickler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vivekkalady
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1361

DONATE TO ME
Hi I found the Registry item
(File path : <ffu>\Windows\Packages\RegistryFiles\SOFTWARE.RE G)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\KindMap

where we can set extensions and their types.so is it possible to add a new extension so that it will also be supported and visible in sdcard ?

Click THANKS If My Post Is Helpful To You
The Following User Says Thank You to vivekkalady For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

snickler
Old
Thanks Meter 372

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekkalady View Post
Hi I found the Registry item
(File path : <ffu>\Windows\Packages\RegistryFiles\SOFTWARE.RE G)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\KindMap

where we can set extensions and their types.so is it possible to add a new extension so that it will also be supported and visible in sdcard ?
It doesn't support creating new key values, only modifying existing ones. If the data is within one key value and it's able to be read, then it should be able to have things added to it.

EDIT: From what I've seen, what you're trying to do won't be possible with this. Each extension has a different key value.
My Apps:
My Phones:
Contact

The Following User Says Thank You to snickler For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GoodDayToDie
Old
(Last edited by GoodDayToDie; 7th August 2013 at 07:54 AM.)
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2473
We may need to start an "interesting registry values" thread here, similar to the one for WP7. Of course, it'll be more interesting if we can actually change any of them.

Oh, and the app works on my ATIV S, just by the way. Need to find some interesting paths to test it on, though.

EDIT: Have you been able to write to *any* values using this? It fails for me every time, but I haven't tried that many yet.

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:
XapHandler, Root Webserver, OEM Marketplace XAPs, Bookmarklets collection (Find On Page), Interop-unlock hacks.

Do not private message me with questions that should have been posted on the forum! Not only are you wasting your time - I'm not going to bother writing an answer to such a question for only one person - but I will probably block you from PMing me in the future as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodDayToDie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

snickler
Old
Thanks Meter 372

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie View Post
We may need to start an "interesting registry values" thread here, similar to the one for WP7. Of course, it'll be more interesting if we can actually change any of them.

Oh, and the app works on my ATIV S, just by the way. Need to find some interesting paths to test it on, though.

EDIT: Have you been able to write to *any* values using this? It fails for me every time, but I haven't tried that many yet.
it has failed for me also. The only values I could write to were the ones that corresponded to Nokia. I'll look through the code again and make another update. I'm going to also rebrand it since it works for non Lumia phones.
My Apps:
My Phones:
Contact

GoodDayToDie
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2473
Interesting about the Nokia paths working. That could be some characteristic of the DLL you use having better permissions or something specific to OEM stuff, but I actually suspect it's just that Nokia didn't bother to lock down the ACLs on their parts of the registry. You can easily adapt the app to my NativeRegistry class to test this, if you want.

WP8 projects:
WP8 Interop Unlocks
Storage Cleanup tool

WP7 projects:

snickler
Old
Thanks Meter 372

DONATE TO ME
Hmm that's a good idea. I just rebranded it to WP8 Registry Modifier. I'll add in your NativeRegistry class to work along with the RegistryRT class to see what comes about.
My Apps:
My Phones:
Contact