[FYI] SIM Unlock HTC One X Evita

7th August 2013, 01:29 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Isla de Vieques
Thanks Meter: 209

662 posts
More
For folks interested in getting their HTC One X Evita sim unlocked so that it works with any GSM carriers I'd like to share my experience since I could not find any relevant info our forums:

First you will need a sim card from a different carrier.

Request your sim unlock code from your carrier or as an alternative you can go to Ebay (this vendor fonecare was great, cheap and super fast, got my code within minutes for less than $5 but there are many others). In both cases you will of course need to provide your IMEI number (*#06#)

Here is the BIG ONE: You need to be on a stock rom! All attempts to sim unlock on a custom rom (cm, aokp, etc..) will result in a message telling you the "sim unlock attempt was unsuccessful". After 5 unsuccessful attempts you will "permanently" lock your phone (Well not so permanently as you can reset the counter by running an RUU, but it's PITA...) If you're indeed on a custom rom (if you're not I don't really know what you're doing on xda?!) read the following:

Make an nandroid backup of your current setup with your recovery of choice.

Push a "stock rom" to your SD card, I used the latest 3.18 since AT&T is my network here but you can also refer to @redpoint73 exhaustive index for a list of all the stock rooted roms available for the Evita here

You may or may not have to flash a radio depending of whether your "stock rom" of choice comes with it or not. If needed go to @taylor.fowler thread on radio here, pick the matching radio and push it to your SD card

Reboot in Recovery

Wipe cache & Dalvik and Factory Reset.

Flash the "stock rom" you moved to your SD card (as well as the radio if needed.)

Wipe cache&dalvik again (don't really know if it's necessary, i think the jury is still out on this matter but it doesn't hurt)

Reboot to your "stock rom" to make sure everything is fine and dandy

Power off

Remove your current network sim card and replace it with another carrier sim card (this will trigger sim unlock prompt once you're rebooted)

Turn your device on

You should be prompted for sim unlock (not to be confused with sim pin which some carriers require before you get to the sim unlock prompt)

Enter your sim unlock code and hit "ok", should be followed by a "sim unlock request successful" et voilą

Reboot in recovery, again wipe cache&dalvik, factory reset and restore your nandroid backup. Amen
Last edited by Crappyvate; 7th August 2013 at 01:37 AM.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Crappyvate For This Useful Post: [ View ]
7th August 2013, 07:52 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 2

25 posts
This is very useful information for me. Thanks for sharing!
8th August 2013, 08:13 PM   |  #3  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 54

143 posts
Donate to Me
More
Now if someone could post the way to SIM unlock for free...
8th August 2013, 10:19 PM   |  #4  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 1,410

3,339 posts
Donate to Me
More
Requesting from your carrier should be free.

There is a method for the one s with s-off that involves decoding the unlock code from the phones mmc files. May work with one xl. I havent seen anyone try yet. I would but I don't have a micro SIM from another carrier.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app
8th August 2013, 11:49 PM   |  #5  
Flag Montreal

143 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exad

Haha, assuming you're still with Telus, as am I, you know that that's wishful thinking, unfortunately.

I have yet to unlock my bootloader because I don't wan't to lose my warranty just yet, so I can't really test anything anytime soon. If you have any old regular SIMs from another carrier, maybe you could cut one down to micro and test it?

On a separate note, even though I haven't unlocked/rooted anything, my phone does show ***TAMPERED*** at the bootloader, so maybe it's too late for my warranty anyway.
9th August 2013, 01:23 AM   |  #6  
Flag Ansonia
Thanks Meter: 337

949 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by exad

There is a method for the one s with s-off that involves decoding the unlock code from the phones mmc files. May work with one xl. I havent seen anyone try yet. I would but I don't have a micro SIM from another carrier.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda app-developers app

I just got my hands on a simple mobile SIM it's full size any one know a easy way of cutting it down? Never had to cut one before.

Sent from my HTC One XL using xda premium
9th August 2013, 01:32 AM   |  #7  
Flag Montreal

143 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31ken31

I just got my hands on a simple mobile SIM it's full size any one know a easy way of cutting it down? Never had to cut one before.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=how+t...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Take your pick!
9th August 2013, 01:38 AM   |  #8  
Flag Ansonia

949 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisage

https://www.google.ca/search?q=how+t...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Take your pick!

I know how to Google. I was looking for some personal input from some one who has done it before.

9th August 2013, 02:18 AM   |  #9  
Flag Montreal

143 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by 31ken31

I know how to Google. I was looking for some personal input from some one who has done it before.

I'm sorry, I didn't mean any offense, I just meant that there are many guides, and you should pick whichever you prefer best.

I've had success using a procedure similar to this guide:
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Create+a...Adapter/3183/1

You may also like this guide:
http://www.coolsmartphone.com/2013/0...with-scissors/
9th August 2013, 10:04 PM   |  #10  
Flag Ansonia

949 posts
More
Got SIM cut and phonr asking for unlock code. Now to sort through the partitions...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
evita, htc one x, sim unlock
Previous Thread Next Thread