XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Ditching ETEN, return to XDA II

Tip us?

kermit780
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Ditching ETEN, return to XDA II

I recently bought an ETEN M500 because of the announcement that it would be upgradable to WM2005 and the size of the device. The extra software on the M500 is nothing short of amazing. Never have I seen a pocket pc with so many apps out of the box. I did not have to install SPB Pocket Plus, Pocket Zen or Voice Command. It had similar programs already. And voice dial over bluetooth, WOW, it's about time. So why am I returning to the XDA II. Signal strength. The M500 has horrible reception, I get 4 bars in my house with my XDA II. The M500 couldn't get a signal without me walking outside, not even in the garage with the door open, I had to be outside away from any trees in the open. Yeah, crazy. Maybe they should have spend less time on the apps and focused on building an adequate phone first. None of that matters if you can't use the thing. I also note, even when it showed full bars, the voice of the other person would break in and out. Using my HS820 with the XDA II no one can even tell I am using a headset. Using it with the ETEN, the first thing I heard from everyone was, " what the hell is wrong with your phone". Maybe I just got a defecto, but that would be a reason to keep away as well.

MugenPower
Old
Thanks Meter 0
o...is it really a bad machines? How much u paid for it???

prodigalfish
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I was in the same boat kermit780, but the M500s still a very good device and theres no way in hell I'd go back to a present mda/xda/imate-type product.
This phone was not made with North America in mind (yet) so there are obvious frequency issues- particularly with the 1900mhz range. Eten is on the ball when it comes to issue with this product though. If not the upcoming firmware upgrade, I'm sure the next one will have some sort of radio fix. I'm trying to sell one right now- the primary reason being I needed something with qwerty. The lack of signal as annoying as it was- only secondary because I know it will be a fix to that soon enough.
And no I wouldn't buy a pda2k for that. Its not the size issue- I like going throgh these forums to see whats new out there...not to spend 3+ hours a day searching for a "hack" for something or other. Down right embarassing the amount of money spent on htc phones and the guy standing next to me on the subway with his $200 americanized crap technology Isn't so crap after all because it actually does (did) more than my mda2.
Just my opinion though...M500s a very, very good phone. It will be a great phone once the frequency issue is resolved but doesn't matter if you're not in N American anyway.

For Sale...Cheap. See what real voicedail is like - Plus $20 off for Western Union payment instead of Paypal (avoiding Paypal Final Price Fees so you save...)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MESE%3AIT&rd=1
Black 2.0