HP Slatebook x2 thoughts?

OP fantasticrat

12th August 2013, 12:12 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Historic Over There
Thanks Meter: 1

8 posts
More
I took the risk and bought an HP Slatebook x2 today. I heard mixed optimism regarding its superiority over the other HP "offerings" as we might call them ... but it was hard for me to resist the Tegra 4 and bundled keyboard dock. As a grad student, I need a versatile input system, and I wasn't sure I wanted to wait for the next ASUS Transformer tablet to come out. Plus, I keep hearing bad things here about ASUS customer service and so on.

The Slatebook apparently ships with 4.2.2, which isn't too shabby, and it does have multiple SD expansion slots and a USB 2.0 port. So, not exactly up to snuff with the new Transformer rumors, but I couldn't really wait to go mobile because I do web design and I'm stuck on a desktop computer (hard to show off my work from my bedroom, y'know).

What I'm wondering now is, who's going to achieve root for me?
Also, what's the general consensus here on this particular device? All I've seen on these forums about it is a bunch of spam threads from a troll.

Thoughts?

--Fantastic Rat
The Following User Says Thank You to fantasticrat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th August 2013, 09:30 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 4

30 posts
I, or rather my wife, got this tablet a week ago and I am quite impressed. It is fast and nice, and I agree with the advertisement "100% notebook, 100% tablet". When docked, it feels like a true notebook with a very well designed keyboard and nice shortcut keys. And when used as a tablet, it works well too.

The multi user profiles on Android 4.2 works extremely well too.

For the root access: yes please! I want root too
12th August 2013, 10:28 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1

12 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlar

I, or rather my wife, got this tablet a week ago and I am quite impressed. It is fast and nice, and I agree with the advertisement "100% notebook, 100% tablet". When docked, it feels like a true notebook with a very well designed keyboard and nice shortcut keys. And when used as a tablet, it works well too.

The multi user profiles on Android 4.2 works extremely well too.

For the root access: yes please! I want root too

My roommate bought one of these last week. I was a little dubious at first, but I agree with your assessment. "100% notebook/100% tablet" is pretty accurate.

I have a HP touchpad from the $99 sale from year(s?) ago. I could never get used to just the tablet feel, so I *really* like the docked feel of the slatebook.

Just my 2c. I think it's a feel thing. My girlfriend prefers tablets and just tablets.

I don't think my roommate cares about root... but I could probably convince him. Can never have too many testers
13th August 2013, 01:54 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 65

290 posts
HP needs to bring the 32/64GB internal storage ones to the U.S.

Also with no physical store presence this tablet combo will go nowhere.
The Following User Says Thank You to atg284 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th August 2013, 10:07 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 18

241 posts
Does anyone want to give a little review on their thoughts on the unit?

Its been out in a few countries for a few weeks now and still not in depth review anywhere!

Cheers
13th August 2013, 12:53 PM   |  #6  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 17

61 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlad1

Does anyone want to give a little review on their thoughts on the unit?

Its been out in a few countries for a few weeks now and still not in depth review anywhere!

Cheers

I had a TF201 and needed to replace it. I too could not wait for the new ASUS to come out, so I took the risk and bought a Slatebook x2. The complete lack of any discussion on this device, including reviews, is unbelievable. Do a Google search...if you exclude the repeat of the HP spec page...there is nothing.

I'm not a reviewer, but I like this device so far. Its very snappy, no lag, and its running a very close to stock Android 4.2.2 ROM. The only complaints I have are minor; no ability to direct connect to computer (runs off an AC adapter and a proprietary cable), and there is a little 'wobble' back and forth when docked (not tight like the Transformer). But everything else is nice, the screen, responsiveness, dock keys and looks. Its plastic, but who cares; so are about 100 million Samsung phones (I have a Note 2). I ran an AnTuTu benchmark, it was 29054 for what its worth; benchmarks don't mean too much to me.

I really hope Devs pick this up, find a root method and work on a CM load. I am concerned that the HP support to updates (4.3, KeyLimePie, etc) may be slow or non-existent. This wouldn't be a disaster, as the current load is fine, but I hate getting left behind.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg284

HP needs to bring the 32/64GB internal storage ones to the U.S.

Also with no physical store presence this tablet combo will go nowhere.

I'm in Australia; they only had the 16GB model in the store I went to. This works about to be just under 12GB usable. However, I did put a 32GB micro SD card into the tablet and a 32GB SD card into the dock, so now I have on 70GB, which is more than enough for me.
13th August 2013, 03:51 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 66

622 posts
I Just ordered last week still waiting for device. The one strange thing is there is no review or any discussion about the device. Hopefully we get our own forum

Google Edition S4 CM Mod
13th August 2013, 04:57 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 204

590 posts
Donate to Me
More
I bought one yesterday online for what is certainly going to be less than what the new Asus pad infinity will go for and it should arrive in 2 days. While I'm skeptical of HP products this one has such nice specs I couldn't resist. I'm very surprised there isn't an xda forum created for this convertible yet.
13th August 2013, 06:26 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 7

41 posts
More
bought this a week ago its a pretty kick ass notebook tablet combo just cant wait to root this beast was wondering if a male male usb cable would let me access it on the pc
13th August 2013, 11:47 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 2

34 posts
Just found a full review from google
http://technologynews11.com/laptops/...p-slatebook-x2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread