Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,959 Members 43,261 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

FAQ: Rooting S4 Mini LTE GT-I9195

Tip us?

Whosat
Old
(Last edited by Whosat; 4th April 2014 at 02:32 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 220

DONATE TO ME
Default FAQ: Rooting S4 Mini LTE GT-I9195

There are several questions scattered throughout the S4 Mini sub forums about the rooting/installing CWM on the S4 Mini. I've collated several of them here (in relation to the LTE model) for quick reference.

Do feel free to add-on / correct / update questions by replying to this thread and I'll update it here.

Link to rootkit by @arco68 -
[RECOVERY][ROOT] Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini LTE (GT-I9195)

Q: How do I update CWM Recovery?
A:
Just flash over the recovery through Odin. There's no need to flash the Rootkit again. [Source]

Q: Can I perform the rooting procedure on a ROM newer than MF5?
A:
Yes. The newest version of the root by @arco68 contains the kernel modules from MF5 (and some updates from MG4), which means that it should fix the WiFi issues users were having when flashing over a newer ROM.
[Source]
Do note that newer ROM have KNOX built-in which requires special attention. Read up on the forums. More links posted here soon.

Q: Where can I get the Samsung USB Drivers?
A:
You can get them from installing the Samsung Kies software or without Kies.

Q: I used the very first version of the rootkit and am now having issues with WiFi. Can I just flash over my current installation with the new rootkit?
A:
Yes. [Source]

Q: I can't find the PDA button in the newest Odin (v3.09). Where is it?
A:
The "AP" button has replaced the PDA button since Odin 3.07. [Source]

Q: Is there a list of stock ROM versions that this rootkit has successfully been used on?
A:
Users have reported success with the following stock ROMs:
MF6, MF7, MFA

Q: I get a "Can't open Serial COM Port" error.
A:
You need to install the Samsung USB Drivers. [Source]

Q: After rooting, I get the following message that constantly shows on my phone's screen:
"Device Information :
The device as detected an application attempting unpermitted actions. To protect your device, it is recommended you reboot."

A:
You need to use a File Explorer with root access (such as ES File Explorer after enabling root access & system r/w) in order to remove the following files in "system/apps"
  • KNOXAgent.apk
  • KNOXStore.apk
  • ContainerAgent.apk
You could alternatively use ADB (booted. Recovery you need to mount /system):
Code:
adb remount
adb shell
rm /system/apps/KNOXAgent.apk
rm /system/apps/KNOXAgent.dex
rm /system/apps/KNOXStore.apk
rm /system/apps/KNOXStore.dex
rm /system/apps/ContainerAgent.apk
rm /system/apps/ContainerAgent.dex
reboot
Q: Uncheck "F. Reset Time"? Rooting other phones seem to require this to be checked?
A:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arco68 View Post
If it's checked, you have to either quit and restart Odin, or wait until the timer expires before you can use anything in Odin again. So disabling it just saves some time. It's no harm leaving it enabled though.

Q: Does using the rootkit with the new kernel updates provide USB OTG/MHL support?
A:
No. [Source] But using a custom kernel does. The device does not support supplying power to the device so you will need a USB-OTG-Y cable to use it.

Q: Great, now that I'm rooted, are there any custom ROMs for me to try out?
A:
Yes, but do know that anything you do to your phone is at your own risk.
There currently is an official CyanogenMod 11 nightlies for the GT-I9195 by the same person who brought you the root, @arco68.

Q: I missed the step to press Home+ Vol Up to boot into recovery mode! The phone is now booted into Android. What do I do?
A:
DO NOT continue with the steps. You need to restart from the top to root your phone correctly. If you press Home + Vol Up when booting and enter into a recovery that does not state "CWM-based Recovery v6.0.3.5", then you have to restart from the top.

Q: How do I navigate through CWM menus?
A:
Use the volume buttons to move up and down. Home button to select. Power button to go back.

Q: What are the exact labels on the CWM menu that I should be selecting? Just to be safe.
A:
To select the rootkit zip, choose "install zip" then "choose zip from external sdcard".
To select reboot, select "reboot system now" and then choose the option that starts with "yes". The multiple no options are to ensure you know what you are selecting.

Last Updated: 0928hrs 04 Apr 2014, +8GMT
Galaxy Note 3 N9005 //
Galaxy S4 Mini (LTE/GT-I9195): Rooting FAQ | CM11 | CM10.2 | Link2SD
Latest GApps
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Whosat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Whosat
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 220

DONATE TO ME
Reserved.
Galaxy Note 3 N9005 //
Galaxy S4 Mini (LTE/GT-I9195): Rooting FAQ | CM11 | CM10.2 | Link2SD
Latest GApps