Amazon KF2 (v.10.4.3 & v10.4.6) - Install CyanogenMod

OP to4kin

13th August 2013, 01:45 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 9

3 posts
First - sorry for my English. Last monday i received my KF2 and when I could not find the instructions on this forum for version 10.4.3 - i decided to try it myself.

Introducing: Kindle Fire 2 (v10.4.3 & v10.4.6 already tested) installing CyanogenMod

** YOU SHOULD HAVE A WORKING NORMAL (NOT FASTBOOT) CABLE + ADB DRIVERS/ACCESS ON YOUR PC. **

*** USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! WHILE I TRY MY BEST TO PROVIDE WORKING KERNELS/ROMS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF THIS SOFTWARE OR ANYTHING I'VE WORKED ON SUDDENLY FRIES YOUR DEVICE. ***

*** READ CAREFULLY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING ***
*** Kindle Fire 1st-gen ROMs/KERNELS are *NOT* compatible with the Kindle Fire 2. Please only flash ROMs/KERNELS that are made for the Kindle Fire 2. ***

** IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, RE-READ THROUGH THE THREAD FOR ANSWERS. WHEN YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY SURE NO ONE HAS ASKED YOUR QUESTION, GO AHEAD AND RE-READ THE THREAD AGAIN AND USE THE SEARCH FEATURE. THEN POST YOUR QUESTION IF YOU STILL CAN'T FIND THE ANSWER **

INITIAL SETUP INSTRUCTIONS

STEP 1. Install ADB Drivers for Kindle HD and enable ADB on tablet Settings->Security->Enable ADB->On

Check ADB:

Code:
C:\> adb devices
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF        device
If you do NOT see this, then make sure you have the SDK installed correctly and you have the right setup for ADB on your PC before proceeding.

STEP 2. Backup your stock partitions to your own HD for later if you need disaster recovery:

Code:
adb pull /dev/block/mmcblk0boot0
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/boot
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/recovery
adb pull /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/system # This will take a few minutes
Take those files and put them somewhere safe.

STEP 3. Getting root

Just follow this threat http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2075959 -> everything working fine

STEP 4. Downgrade your bootloader

Download the older 10.2.4 bootloader file and flash to your device via fastboot:
http://goo.im/devs/Hashcode/otter2/o...rod-10.2.4.bin
md5sum 5b03a7b428325de8d360ec201a745498

(You SHOULD check this before using fastboot -- downloads CAN be corrupted)

Open cmd and promt:

Code:
adb shell su -c "reboot bootloader"
Your Kindle should reboot in fastboot mode, and now flash bootloader:

Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 flash bootloader otter2-u-boot-prod-10.2.4.bin
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot
STEP 5. Install TWRP

First, download CM and GAPPS and copy it to SDCARD:

CM-10.1 for the Kindle Fire 2 (choose the latest version from):
http://www.get.cm/?device=otter2

Google Apps from: http://goo.im/gapps (choose the top rom CM10.1 version)

1. Copy com.powerpoint45.FMKilo-2.apk to the tablet (you can get this apk from here http://d-h.st/n7L)

2. Enable on Kindle: Device -> Allow Installation of Applications

3. Use file browser (i recomended to use ES Explorer) to install apk.

4. Run Tweezermod Installer and answer on all question about Super User -> "Allow"
** If everything was done correctly you will at this point see the bootmenu with a BLUE logo during the reboot. **

In this time your kindle can not boot, u'll see BLUE logo, then ORANGE and then device restarted again. Don't worry - it's ok

STEP 6. Install CyanogenMod

TO ENTER RECOVERY:
During the blue logo screen press the power button to cycle through options and select "Recovery" to enter TWRP.

Once in TWRP you can Install" the CM-10.1 by selecting "Install" and then browsing the device and selecting it, then "Add Zip" and select the Gapps .zip as well.

Use the slider to start the install.

Dont forget to do FULL WIPE - cache, dalvik cache, factory reset, system.

Enjoy

Tested on my Kindle Fire 2 v10.4.3 & v10.4.6
Last edited by to4kin; 17th August 2013 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Update manual
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to to4kin For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th August 2013, 07:37 AM   |  #2  

181 posts
More
7" KF HD 2, 10.4.6
This tutorial worked perfectly, up until the end, step 6.
I'm new to Kindle, but not Android. I got into TWRP prior to downloading CM10.2 and Gapps. And when i try to mount as USB, and this line shows in the log:
"Unable to locate volume information for USB storage mode"
Googling didn't help much with investigating that error. ADB sideload doesn't seem to work.
I don't know what to do from here.
16th August 2013, 09:58 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonjosh

7" KF HD 2, 10.4.6
This tutorial worked perfectly, up until the end, step 6.
I'm new to Kindle, but not Android. I got into TWRP prior to downloading CM10.2 and Gapps. And when i try to mount as USB, and this line shows in the log:
"Unable to locate volume information for USB storage mode"
Googling didn't help much with investigating that error. ADB sideload doesn't seem to work.
I don't know what to do from here.

Check STEP 1 to check ADB. If it not working check this manual https:// developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/connect-adb.html
When ADB start working - copy CM and GAPPS to kindle:

Promt in CMD:
Code:
adb push /path/to/filename /sdcard/download/filename
16th August 2013, 05:37 PM   |  #4  

181 posts
More
I'm also on Win7 x64.
When it is on ADB Sideload, I see in my Device manager Amazon Kindle Fire2, but it appears to not be loading the drivers correctly.
ADB Devices are not showing any attached devices. Ideas?

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Also in my Device Manager, Portable Devices, it shows F: but there's no F: in my windows explorer.
16th August 2013, 06:52 PM   |  #5  

181 posts
More
I found instructions via terminal emulator to get it rebooted into fastboot, in hopes of flashing CM 10.2 via fastboot.
Looking up the fastboot syntax for flashing a new rom, I've always used recovery on my other devices, but i don't have that option now.
17th August 2013, 12:43 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

3 posts
Quote:

I'm also on Win7 x64.
When it is on ADB Sideload, I see in my Device manager Amazon Kindle Fire2, but it appears to not be loading the drivers correctly.
ADB Devices are not showing any attached devices. Ideas?

---------- Post added at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Also in my Device Manager, Portable Devices, it shows F: but there's no F: in my windows explorer.

ADB Sideload - good idea. Try this manual:
1. Set the device into ADB sideload mode. In TWRP you do this by going to Advanced then ADB Sideload.
2. From the command line on PC, type adb sideload /path/to/rom.zip

The file will be copied to your device to whatever the current storage location is that you have selected in the mount page. It will always be placed in the root of that storage location and named sideload.zip (e.g. /sdcard/sideload.zip) and it will automatically delete / overwrite any existing sideload.zip you may have on your device. As soon as the file is copied to your device, it will automatically be installed. When the install is finished you will be presented with a reboot system button so that you can reboot to test your zip.

Note that sideload mode is a separate ADB mode. While in sideload mode, regular ADB commands will not work. Once the zip has been copied to the device and the install starts (or if you hit the cancel button) regular ADB mode will resume.
My mistake in manual. Better way - copy rom file to sdcard before STEP 5.
Last edited by to4kin; 17th August 2013 at 12:54 AM.
21st August 2013, 05:34 AM   |  #7  

181 posts
More
I'm still unable to use adb sideload, reports "device not found". I have the usb drivers installed, your tutorial is the only one I have used, I can't use TWRP at all.
It works, but USB drive mounting doesn't work, ADB sideload doesn't seem to work. No errors in the log, but ADB reports device not found.
I don't know what to do from here. It's nothing like 4EXT or CWM.
21st August 2013, 06:52 AM   |  #8  

181 posts
More
Ok so I have got it in fastboot by going to Advanced->Terminal, idme bootmode 4
Once in fastboot , fastboot -i 0x1949 devices returned a device number
I flashed CM10.2 using "fastboot -i 0x1949 flash system CM102.zip
Then I ran fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 1
Then rebooted, doesn't load ROM, got back into TWRP, changed bootmode back to 1, reboot, says I have no OS.
That's my current status. Seems others have been at this point before, still workin on this.
21st August 2013, 07:52 AM   |  #9  

181 posts
More
Ok you can give up on thinking now, I've bricked it. No signs of life.
I flashed the 7.23 bootloader and TWRP 2.6 from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848
via fastboot, and now it's done for.
Found a rooted one on craigslist for $120 to replace this one for my father in law.
I've rooted a good few other Android devices, but never a tablet, first try on a KFHD2.
I give up on Kindle's.
21st August 2013, 09:40 AM   |  #10  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 609

2,218 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Ok you can give up on thinking now, I've bricked it. No signs of life.
I flashed the 7.23 bootloader and TWRP 2.6 from: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848
via fastboot, and now it's done for.
Found a rooted one on craigslist for $120 to replace this one for my father in law.
I've rooted a good few other Android devices, but never a tablet, first try on a KFHD2.
I give up on Kindle's.

Don't trash the old one after u get the new one, we have a viable method now to unbrick a hard bricked kindle. The person behind the fix is working on a more user friendly version of the device that doesn't require soldering. Check it out: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2391047

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread